Sell M9 Monochrom for M10 Monochrom?

Jan1985

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I change lenses quite rarely and always do it indoors very mindful of getting dust on the sensor, my images don't show dust spots. I have also sent a SL2 to be sold, the dealer has informed me that the sensor in that camera is quite dirty and may need a "deep clean" if the normal clean can't budge what is there. Again I am surprised as I have not had this camera long and kept a 24-90 zoom on for most of the time. 

I had the original SL for a lot longer , I changed lenses quite a bit on that camera as it was interesting to try both M and R swell as the SL zooms. I don't remember a problem with that camera and dust on the sensor when I traded it in. Again I have asked if it was possible that the dirt got onto the sensor during manufacture. Again I have not seen any evidence of dust spots on my images.

Sorry. "Deep Clean"?  I find this a bit strange. What is he planning to do? Blast it with steam?  I would not subject my camera to a sensor cleaning there when told something like that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I have been told that there are 8 spots of corrosion on the M9M sensor, the dealer has sent the details of this to Leica and are waiting to hear back from them. The dealer has told me that Leica are no longer replacing sensors on goodwill but as I have the paperwork etc and the work was done by Leica not so long ago there may be a chance.

Regarding the SL2, the dealer has said that what they have seen is rare but cannot tell if the dirt has come from lens changing or some other reason but it appears to have been on the sensor for a bit hence it may be tricky to remove , I suppose the words "deep clean " is probably their  personal way of describing the process of cleaning. A carpet gets a "deep clean" but it is the first time I have heard of a sensor !

To be fair the dealer has responded very well and if I were a buyer I would be glad that they are actually inspecting the goods before offering them for sale. I have returned items to two dealers in the UK where it was claimed that both items had been serviced when clearly they had not. 

OK, with an inspection report by Leica it should be OK, albeit weird. I would insist that the camera be sent to Wetzlar in any case.
I still would ask for an explanation what a "Deep Clean" entails. 

• Like 1

On 5/12/2021 at 2:43 PM, Stuart Richardson said:

I always found that the biggest difference between the CCD cameras was the character of the detail at 100% and the color response. Given those two areas, it seems like it would be a fairly easy decision to go for the M10M, as the M10M body is more refined and modern than the M9 body, given the better shutter, thinner body and better screens etc. I really loved the M9, so I get people who like it, but what in particular are people with the M9M seeing in their files that keeps them with it, if they had entertained switching? I also understand being perfectly happy with what you have and therefore not switching, but I am talking more about people who tried the M10M and did not like it. Is it just the tonality or something? I am curious....I have never gotten an M monochrome as I do BW mostly on film, but I would be interested to hear the rationale.

Colour response translates in tonal response 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In 2018 I was at Wetzlar and purchased an M10-P Safari.  There was nothing wrong with My M9-P, sensor had been replaced twice.  In late 2020 I decided that since the M9-P was gathering dust, I would sell it, and the M9-M. I had just gotten so used to the feel of the M10-P.  So I sold both M9 bodies and bought an M10-M to go with the M10-P.  Can't be happier.  I've used the M10-M more since I've gotten it than I ever used the M9-M. Not sure why though.  I like the images from both, but I find the M10 images easier to work with and I prefer the hand feel of the M10 bodies.

• Like 2

vor 3 Stunden schrieb ldhrads:

In 2018 I was at Wetzlar and purchased an M10-P Safari.  There was nothing wrong with My M9-P, sensor had been replaced twice.  In late 2020 I decided that since the M9-P was gathering dust, I would sell it, and the M9-M. I had just gotten so used to the feel of the M10-P.  So I sold both M9 bodies and bought an M10-M to go with the M10-P.  Can't be happier.  I've used the M10-M more since I've gotten it than I ever used the M9-M. Not sure why though.  I like the images from both, but I find the M10 images easier to work with and I prefer the hand feel of the M10 bodies.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I can commit that in some way the M10M is wakening more lust to you out and shoot in black and white...

• Like 1

Better news, Leica think that the spots on the sensor are glue and not corrosion, the sensor took three "deep cleans" before it was clear of them. They said that they had never before encountered such difficulty in cleaning a M sensor. They have sent further details back to Leica and think that the camera will be able to be offered for sale now at the correct valuation and with warranty . 

If I have hopefully escaped a corroded sensor in the Monochrom I have not been so lucky with my beloved Landcover Defender. She is having her annual service and MOT which is always a bit of a worry now, she passed this time after a bit of welding but has bad corrosion on some of the chassis and will require major work next year. The cost will be probably be as much as a new sensor in the Monochrom !

25 minutes ago, Rupert Greenwell said:

Better news, Leica think that the spots on the sensor are glue and not corrosion, the sensor took three "deep cleans" before it was clear of them. They said that they had never before encountered such difficulty in cleaning a M sensor. They have sent further details back to Leica and think that the camera will be able to be offered for sale now at the correct valuation and with warranty . 

Should third word be ‘dealer’, not Leica?  Otherwise confusing, as you then write ‘they have sent further details back to Leica’.  If so, while I’d be pleased with turn of events, I’d be looking for a new dealer for future transactions.  Good to know that you don’t have the first ever case of corrosion on a new, ‘permanent’, sensor replacement.  But you might have the first ever case of glue.

Jeff

Sorry not to be clear, I posted earlier that the dealer had sent Leica details of the affected sensor . Leica have replied to say that they think that the spots on the sensor are glue and have recomended that the sensor be given a good cleaning. The spots have now been removed and the dealer has sent details of the clean sensor back to Leica. In the meantime the dealer thinks that the camera is now fixed and will offer it for sale. So good news .

• Thanks 1

Good to hear. The dealer should have contacted Leica in the first place, especially aware that the sensor was recently replaced.  Another customer without your persistence and follow-up would have settled with the initial incorrect diagnosis. 

Jeff

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Am 26.6.2021 um 05:08 schrieb Photos By Cowz:

I have my M10P for colour work and M9M for b&w.  As much as I would love two M10s (P and M), finances don't stretch that far.  But having said that if anyone wants to trade a really nice M9M for a nice M10M, I am open to discussions 

Good try! :)

Deep clean was the term used by the dealer to clean the spots of glue off the sensor after the initial clean had failed. I never asked quite how they did this but it was under instructions from Leica.

Anyway the camera that caused a fair amount of concern as it was first feared that the replacement sensor had corroded is now back in my hands. At least  the sensor  should  now be spotless. I had sellers remorse after seeing some prints that I taken with the camera and asked for it to be returned.

I bought the M9M when it was released. I sold it to a friend when the the 246 was released and purchased one of those. It didn't take long to regret the move. Fortunately, when the M10M was released I was telephoned by that friend to ask if I had any interest in buying back my old M9M. It took me about 1 nano-second to say yes. I have an M10-D to do the day-in-day-out stuff. However, to me there is something special about the look of the images from the M9M. I suppose it is all up to the look you want. Better is not always "better". I suppose that is the reason some of us still shoot film as well. Good luck and keep clicking!

• Like 2

Similar situation here.  When my M9M had to visit New Jersey for sensor replacement I bought an M246.  My thinking was I would sell the M9M with its new sensor and 1 year Leica warranty upon its return.  Couldn't bring myself to do it.  While the M246 is the better camera the M9M just feels better in my hands, so I enjoy both. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1