Sell M9 Monochrom for M10 Monochrom?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I own my M9 Monochrom in Silver Chroma for 5 years now. Recently I had the chance to test out the M10 Monochrom. Yeah its a nice camera of course. More High ISO, Quieter Shutter, Nice Build Quality and so on...

But would you sell your M9 Monochrom? Is the CCD Mono Look so unique to keep it and resist to buy the M10 Monochrom? 

What do you think?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!This M10M , 50 mm , Noctilux, yellow filter, 3 stop Neutral Density Filter, ISO 160, 1 second shutter. This is the Dark Hollow Falls in Shenandoah National Park -- its a trek but worth it! CHIPS

I'd love to try an M10M. I understand it's thin, fast, has a great viewfinder, it can do live view, and you can crop as far into an image as you like. But if I were ever to acquire an M10M, I think it would have to be in addition to my M9M. The M9M forces a more deliberate approach upon you. In some ways it's even slower than a film M. The buffer is easy to hit, and then the camera is useless until the light stops blinking. But, for me, I kind of like the limitations, the quirkiness. I

I realise that I am in a very  small minority not liking the M10M but I have tried for nearly a year to get on with it. I bought a M9M when they were first introduced as I prefer to shoot B&W most of the time . I then added a M246 when they too were first introduced. I have never had a problem processing the images from either camera but the M246 has always been my main camera. I do prefer a slightly lower contrast look, I use mainly the older Leica lenses. I shoot landscapes, my family

Posted Images

Hello Jan,

I'm not the guy to trust in your choice, just my experiences.

I have first original Monochrom for a while, longer than you.

Before the launching of the M10 Monochrom, I had opportunity to try out the M246.

I can not choose between the two Monochroms, so I use them along as two different (subtle in my case I can't explain) Monochrom.

this thread

So now, I don't even need to go to M10-M ...

😔

In your place if possible, buy M10-M without selling MM1 to use them along, then you can decide having all cards in your hand.

43 minutes ago, Jan1985 said:

I own my M9 Monochrom in Silver Chroma for 5 years now. Recently I had the chance to test out the M10 Monochrom. Yeah its a nice camera of course. More High ISO, Quieter Shutter, Nice Build Quality and so on...

But would you sell your M9 Monochrom? Is the CCD Mono Look so unique to keep it and resist to buy the M10 Monochrom? 

What do you think?

That's what I did and never looked back. The M9 has a nice look but the quality and detail in the M10M (w/o filters) is beyond comparison its a different category not just an upgrade. 

Posted (edited)

The M10M files are beautiful and I display them side by side with scanned film and can barely tell them apart. While the M9M is unique and I have used one briefly before sending it off for sensor replacement I can say you are not making any compromises with the M10M.  Also the seemingly unlimited iso performance and higher sensor resolution are important. When I use it for street I set the camera at 1/500 or 1/1000 and the 28mm at f5.6 or f8 so the high iso performance is important to my needs. There’s also live view if you ever need it. I do keep an M8.2 around for color and am reminded of the limitations as nice as the CCD rendering.

Edited by rtai

This M10M , 50 mm , Noctilux, yellow filter, 3 stop Neutral Density Filter, ISO 160, 1 second shutter. This is the Dark Hollow Falls in Shenandoah National Park -- its a trek but worth it! CHIPS
Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Love the CCD look, but the usability of the M10M was just too much to resist. The high ISO allows for higher shutter speeds, eliminating shake and blur;  the extra resolutions allows for tighter cropping; better electronics reduces worry and glitches. Ability to pull things out of the sensor for really special look, even in poor light. Hard to resist.

Edited by geoffreyg
Posted (edited)

I don’t own either camera but when I look at the images from them, the M9 mono images look distinct. The M10 mono images don’t. I don’t think that’s down to the users of the M10 mono camera either. As usual, it’s all subjective.

Edited by Ray Vonn

I got the M10M just a few days ago after using M9M since its launch. M10M is indeed better for all the above mentioned reasons.But I must add the M9M is no slouch.

I think it has its distinct identity and I particularly find the battery life is "outstanding" compared to the M10M (with Live view).

Here are a few images shot with both cameras.M9M with WATE and M10M with 28/2 asph

7 minutes ago, Chandra said:

I got the M10M just a few days ago after using M9M since its launch. M10M is indeed better for all the above mentioned reasons.But I must add the M9M is no slouch.

I think it has its distinct identity and I particularly find the battery life is "outstanding" compared to the M10M (with Live view).

>>>snip<<<

So much emphasis on M9(M) and M10(M) and M240/246 seems to be falling between the cracks in the floor.  For a digital camera decent size/capacity battery goes a long way towards the camera overall usefulness.

Statement that M9 battery is outstanding compared to M10 is telling more about the limitations of M10 battery rather than capabilities of M9 battery. 

I used to have M9P and battery performance was at best average, it is M240/246 that really takes battery capacity to a next level.

I have just sold my M10M and M9M but kept my M246.  I found the files from the M10M too dark for my liking, after a year of use I just could not adjust to it. Motion blur was another thing that I experienced with the M10M but not other cameras. Battery life is not great either especially in cold conditions.

I could not tell the difference between photos from the M9M and M246, my heart went for the M9M as it is a special camera but my head just said M246, I have used this camera for nearly 6 years now and have taken more shots with it than any other camera. I had to try the M10M but for me it was a Monochrom too far. I have only used the M9M a couple of times in the last year and most of that was comparing it with the M246.

I always found that the biggest difference between the CCD cameras was the character of the detail at 100% and the color response. Given those two areas, it seems like it would be a fairly easy decision to go for the M10M, as the M10M body is more refined and modern than the M9 body, given the better shutter, thinner body and better screens etc. I really loved the M9, so I get people who like it, but what in particular are people with the M9M seeing in their files that keeps them with it, if they had entertained switching? I also understand being perfectly happy with what you have and therefore not switching, but I am talking more about people who tried the M10M and did not like it. Is it just the tonality or something? I am curious....I have never gotten an M monochrome as I do BW mostly on film, but I would be interested to hear the rationale.

It is subjective, I guess. What I like about the M9M is the tonality, which is created both by the coating of the IR filter and the readout characteristic of the sensor. With 30 MP equivalent the detail reserve of the camera is more than sufficient. The M10M has a slightly different tonal rendering, higher perpixel acuity and higher DR. The plethora of pixels has no practical advantage and will be negated by the print, unless you are decorating the wall of your local church or cropping to an extreme extent.  For my photography that is not relevant, if anything a disadvantage.
It all depends whether you want the more gentle brush of the 9 or the more precise look of the 10. The same as different films, really.

I realise that I am in a very  small minority not liking the M10M but I have tried for nearly a year to get on with it. I bought a M9M when they were first introduced as I prefer to shoot B&W most of the time . I then added a M246 when they too were first introduced. I have never had a problem processing the images from either camera but the M246 has always been my main camera.

I do prefer a slightly lower contrast look, I use mainly the older Leica lenses. I shoot landscapes, my family and friends and my dogs. I have two dark coloured dogs and I just can't do them justice with the M10M they seem to blend into the background and are hard to distinguish. Landscapes too, I find it hard sometimes to see what is going on in the photo , the details seem lost in this rather dark look. Lowering contrast in Lightroom does not work. 

I really admire the work of James Ravilious, he beautifully photographed the English countryside amongst other places using low contrast lenses. As someone who has worked on the land all my life I can relate to his work , to me he has really got it right. The M10M experience has rather put me off digital and I have made a return to film for most of my work now.

I have an M9M, in fact this is the 3rd one I have owned as I usually have to shift gear to buy gear. HOWEVER... hand on heart, I cannot sell the M9M again. I was fortunate this time to acquire one with the new sensor and only 3k shots. I have put a few more on it since owning it. I also own an M9 that is in for sensor cover replacement and will be sold after fully testing the camera again, this was also a good find with less than 5k on the shutter & is mint, so someone will get a gorgeous camera. I considered keeping the M9 and using it alongside the CL but the CL is my default camera for colour & is excellent alongside the M9M, with M lenses it is a very lightweight total package for me.

I tried the M246, didn't get along with the output personally, same with the M240. A friend has the M10M and loves it but every time he sees the files from the M9M he sighs and says "I should get one of those too".

I rented the M10 Monochrom for a week to compare against my M Monochrom.  Of course the M10 platform was far superior, as I knew already with my M10. Aesthetically, in print, both Monochroms are capable of producing superb results. The newer version requires different PP actions to create similar tonal effects, but frankly I care less about matching results than I do about achieving the desired rendering of a given scene. Both cameras deliver, provided I do my job. Bottom line, I pick up my new M10 Monochrom today..... but I have no plans at this point to sell my original Monochrom.  Time will tell.  

Jeff

I'd love to try an M10M. I understand it's thin, fast, has a great viewfinder, it can do live view, and you can crop as far into an image as you like. But if I were ever to acquire an M10M, I think it would have to be in addition to my M9M.

The M9M forces a more deliberate approach upon you. In some ways it's even slower than a film M. The buffer is easy to hit, and then the camera is useless until the light stops blinking.

But, for me, I kind of like the limitations, the quirkiness. I'm forced to anticipate the picture I'm trying to make, to think a bit more about what I'm doing. I don't like going beyond 2500 ISO, but at 1600 ISO, in poor light, I think there is a really beautiful look to the structure of the noise. 1600 ISO is the 'Goldilocks' ISO setting on the M9M.

So, I could never sell my M9M. I've had it nearly nine years, it's been everywhere with me. It's like an old friend. And, after all this time, I still look forward to seeing the images I can get from it. It feels like a truly special camera to me.