Scanning set up using TL2 and Sigma macro lens - but which one? And a few other questions.

dgc

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I know that scanning has been done to death, but I would like some advice on how I can determine which lens would be more suitable for scanning negatives predominantly 35mm and 6x6, but 4x5 as well. I have the Epson V700, but just find it so slow.

I intend to use my Durst 670 enlarger as a copy stand and buy the Kaiser Plano light box and see if the various negative holders from Epson and Intrepid I already hold do the trick.

I was surprised by the lens specs for the Sigma 70 and 105 that the closest focusing was approx 29cm for both (in my naivety I expected macro lenses to be able to focus quite close up) and was thinking that I may well need the 105mm lens to fill the frame with a 35mm negative or will the 70mm along with the cropped sensor do? I don't think the telescopic focussing of the 70mm will be an issue for me.

Or is there a spacer (non-Leica!) available that will allow me to use one of my M lenses with the L to M adapter ? Or would a L to M39 adapter with a 50/80mm enlarging lens work?  

I was going to ask how I could calculate the correct combination of lenses, adapters and focal lengths etc but I don't think there would be enough time or space ...

I have seen the BEOON threads and don't think this is the route I need to go down - I already have a copy stand etc.

One other question, which may be obvious but having read in one thread you should scan in RGB/ sRGB rather than greyscale - would scanning B&W negatives with an M10M be better than using a TL2? I develop both B&W and colour negatives hence the need to use my TL2. 

Many thanks, David

54 minutes ago, dgc said:

I have been offered the Canon EF 100m macro lens, would this with an adapter (like this: Urth x Gobe Lens Mount Adapter: Compatible with Canon: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo) be the answer ? This adapter has some depth which would hopefully enable closer focusing.

The adapter just compensates the difference in the flange focal distance between your Leica TL2 and Canon EF. It does not provide closer focusing. Using a Canon EF lens with your TL2 is not recommended because the lens has no aperture ring and you would not be able to change the aperture on your TL2.

You should look at the achievable magnification range, not at the close focus distance of any candidate lens. A 35mm negative is 36x24mm. Your TL2 sensor measures 23.6x15.7mm. Hence, you need a lens that achieves a magnification of 1:1.53 (36/23.7 = 24/15.7 = 1.53). A 6x6 negative is 56x56mm. For this, you need a magnification of 1:3.57 (56/15.7 = 3.57). You should look for a lens that does well between 1:4 and 1:1. Any macro lens that achieves 1:1 will do (alternatively, you could also use any other lens with an achromat, provided you reach the required magnifications, with a slight loss of image quality).

The close focus distance is still relevant because you want to use your Durst copy stand. Make sure that you reach the range of required magnifications (1:4 - 1:1) at focus distances that allow you to mount the camera on your Durst stand. The distance between object and sensor only depends on the magnification and the focal length of your lens. Check the lens manufacturer's data sheet for the minimum focus distance at 1:1. But be careful, the distance increases when you move from 1:1 to 1:4. For example, for my 80mm macro lens, I achieve a focus distance of 32cm at 1:1, which then increases to about 50cm at 1:4. This holds for my lens, which is almost symmetrical. For modern macro lenses (which change their focal length at higher magnifications), such calculations become almost impossible unless you are the lens designer. But the example shows you that you need a quite high stand if you were going to use a tele macro lens for your purposes. For that reason, you are probably better off using a macro lens with a shorter focal length. For example, a traditional symmetric 50mm macro lens at 1:4 requires a focus distance of 31cm.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dgc said:

Or is there a spacer (non-Leica!) available that will allow me to use one of my M lenses with the L to M adapter ? Or would a L to M39 adapter with a 50/80mm enlarging lens work? 

Below is an example of using something like an enlarging lens at about 1:1. This is a 80mm lens. The required extension is achieved with the help of a Novoflex bellow unit. Alternatively, you could adapt such a lens to any of the M39 helicoid extension tubes available on eBay, provided they are long enough. Again, this is more likely to work with a standard focal length around 50mm because (as you can see from the photo) for a 80mm lens you already need quite some extension.

Studienkamera, many thanks for this information, very well explained.

I have just seen your last post, I am sorry I have not responded sooner, but I am working nights offshore and I have had a very busy night. If you look through my other posts, you will see that I always respond and thank the contributor.

Thanks again.

Edited by dgc
Noticing a subsequent admonishment by a contributor.
  • Like 1

Thank you frame-it !! 

That is interesting as I have the 90mm f2. If I read the tech sheet correctly this would give me magnification of 1:5.8 at 41cm. So I would just need the macro adapter which is a similar cost of the Sigma lens !

Edited by dgc

14 hours ago, Studienkamera said:

Nothing? No response whatsoever from the OP? I should have left him buying that EF lens and save 20 minutes of my life.

Will think twice before sharing any knowledge again in future.

Don't forget your knowledge is here for every future interested member to read. I just read it with great interest and I'm very thankful for your shared expertise.

Edited by plasticman
forget that markdown isn't supported
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, frame-it said:

for my 6x6 negs, i use a GFX50r+ leica 90mm APO summicron M + Macro Adapter M, tripod, and ipad.

I might try with the X1D - which has the same sensor I think(?) Does the Leica M lens cover the entire sensor? I thought I'd need either an enlarging lens, or a medium format macro lens to achieve full sensor coverage?