Should I get the 90-280 lens!?

Ktsa5239

I followed a similar usage map as the OP.

I primarily shoot with the M10-R + 28 1.4, 50 APO or 50 Lux BC. Bought an SL2-S to use with the M lenses. Love the EVF and focus peaking assist more often than I want to admit (that, and the M10-R is back at Wetzler for adjustments.) so I use the SL2-S all the time

I bought a new 90-280 just before the price increase. (Searched for a used one but finding one was like searching for a white ptarmigan in blizzard conditions. It wasn't happening.) I wanted the reach and native IBIS in body and lens. I use it for nature and birds (I live on a lake) and the last firmware update seems to help on the photo side for AF. 

I use to shoot with the Canon 5D Mark IV + 300 2.8. Mostly sports. Stayed away from teleconverters because I did not want to lose stop. Perhaps the L alliance will produce a 300 2.8 telephoto. That would be fun to try out.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

After a few months with the 24-90SL lens, I’ve shot exclusively with that lens. I’m just absolutely amazed at the photos I’m getting. Now the Lumix isn’t going to cut it anymore, and I’m back to the same question. Maybe I should overcome the weight to go for the 90-280!!

• Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Post #23

Edit… ok, so I checked the lens on my SL2…

90… 2.8; 120…3.1; 160…3.3;  210…3.5; 280…4.0.  Changes are gradual and progressive as one zooms, so you can roughly interpolate at other settings.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 3

I went back to the store so many times to look at this lens, they decided to give me 10% off so I took it home! Yay! 

It doesn't feel as big or heavy anymore after I've held it for awhile. I'm really excited ! Cant wait to try it later today. 

Does anyone know for close ups, is the reproduction ratio bigger on the 90 end or the 280 end?

• Like 3

I'm so impressed with this lens! Its incredible the level of sharpness and detail I'm getting! While it is alittle short in terms of reach, but I dont think I could go back to the sigma 100-400 after getting this. Damn, it would be perfect if theres an extender for this lens.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9

Heres another shot

Edited by Ktsa5239
  • Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted a lens to bring into my local NFL games (Tampa, FL) and I thought long and hard about this lens.  In the end, I decided to get the Lumix 70-300 due to the size/weight.  I took the 70-300 and my CL to the game last week and I was disappointed with the image quality.  Maybe in part because it was a night game and I needed to use higher ISO to get the speed needed, but it just did not work well. Great that it is light and easy to carry, but in the end it it the images that count.   I have the Leica 180 and 280 R APO, and I guess that experience has impacted my judgment of what I desire.  Of course I did not expect  this cheaper lens to fully live up to my Leica APO experience, but it is hard (for me) to be satisfied with the Lumix results.  I will give it another test a a day game, but I believe the Leica 90-280 will be back on my list.  

3 hours ago, Danno_photoguy said:

I will give it another test a a day game, but I believe the Leica 90-280 will be back on my list.  

As I think about this, another option does come to mind.  Perhaps I should get an SL2 (with IBS) to use with the 280 F4 APO, as opposed to getting the SL 90-280 APO?  Much to think about.

Now that we are in lock down here in Sydney, I can only shot at my local park. 
the results of the 90-280 outshines any other combo I have. No matter the 70-200 with extender, 100-400 with extender. The longer focal length means I don’t need to crop but I’m still getting better shots when cropped heavily on the 90-280 it’s just crazy

• Like 4

This was on the 90-280 on the SL-601

The image was supersized stacking 20 images to extrapolate more fine detail resolution. It's a similar technique Hubble uses to increase fine details. The sharpness at the 280 end is just awesome. And dont let anyone say the reach is too short on this lens! 🙃

• Like 2