Time to give up on my M3?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

About a year ago, I had my M3 CLA'd after sporadic shutter problems caused results like the overexposed bar in the first example.  After about 10 rolls of film, the "bars" are back, (happening once per roll in the last couple of rolls) along with the over exposed "bar" at the far right of the frame shown in the 2nd example which I believe are limited to exposures made with 1/500th or 1/1000th of a second.   The latter problem can actually be seen by dry firing the camera as a bright "slit" on the right edge as the shutter is closing  is observed through the open back.  My question is should this be happening so soon after an CLA?  Is there something inherently irreparable in the shutter mechanism? 

In good "repair man's hands", no Leica M is irreparable if the parts are available.

So in your place I'd first talk to your repair man or woman.

Don't do like me keeping some Leica "to be repaired" (always later, for some years now), as I don't need them

having too many functioning Leica to use.

I suggest that you send your M3 to Youxin Ye, or DAG, and if they can't fix it then it can't be fixed. I am sure (from my experience) they have scrap cameras from which to take used parts, if necessary.

1 hour ago, StephenH said:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

About a year ago, I had my M3 CLA'd after sporadic shutter problems caused results like the overexposed bar in the first example.  After about 10 rolls of film, the "bars" are back, (happening once per roll in the last couple of rolls) along with the over exposed "bar" at the far right of the frame shown in the 2nd example which I believe are limited to exposures made with 1/500th or 1/1000th of a second.   The latter problem can actually be seen by dry firing the camera as a bright "slit" on the right edge as the shutter is closing  is observed through the open back.  My question is should this be happening so soon after an CLA?  Is there something inherently irreparable in the shutter mechanism? 

Your M3 only needs a visit to a competent repairperson to adjust the shutter assembly and a full CLA might be necessary.

Best, JM

The reason I ask the question is that I thought that I HAD it CLA'd by a competent repair outfit (Nippon Photo Clinic in NYC) and they seemed to have solved the shutter problem along with other issues the camera had.  The other issues (slightly irregular frame spacing and and intermittent secondary "detent" on the shutter release) remained solved.  Could a shutter go out of adjustment so quickly? What could another technician do differently?

Do you like the camera?  Do you still want to shoot film?  If yes to both then it is certainly worth exploring a repair.  Besides DAG and YeYe, I would add Golden Touch Leica.  I have had great luck with Sherry Krauter.  In my experience, all three will be honest and tell you if it cannot be repaired.  I know a lot of M3 owners feel about their cameras as I feel about my M2 or M4 (prefer the 35 FOV).