Curious Leica I copy

On 5/10/2021 at 7:27 PM, Pyrogallol said:

Left handed people are quietly discriminated against all the time over manufactured goods, right down to the labels on bottles and printing on pens and pencils.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

In photography, the left-eyed often have as hard a time as the left-handed. When I use an older Nikon that needs the wind-on lever to be pulled out to the stand-off position to unlock the shutter, I have to find creative ways to hold the camera horizontally to avoid getting poked in the corner of my right eye socket (e.g. by tilting my face or moving the lever slightly with my thumb). Holding it vertically in one orientation, the lever digs into my forehead unless I cushion it with the side of my thumb. The other way round, I risk inhaling it. A Leica M works pretty well, though I couldn't benefit from the 'floating frameline' effect that right-eyed M3 users talk about.

Edited by Anbaric

On 5/10/2021 at 2:39 PM, pippy said:

From what I've read the very first FEDs were copies of the Leica I. I believe the camera pictured below was produced before the Leica II was released;

Interestingly - considering the OP - there is mention, around half-way down the page, of a 'Geodesy Factory'-made Leica II copy!;

"...The Geodeziya Zavod [Geodesy Factory] in Moscow distributed the first 50 examples of its Leica II copy in early 1934..."

I bet that FED prototype would be worth more than any normal Leica I - I hope a faker doesn't get hold of one without realising what they have!

The Geodesy factory link puts a whole new angle on this one - it seems the fakers also read this stuff, and have given us what they imagine a camera from there might have looked like, though they've taken 'Geodesy Leica' rather too literally. Is this the first (indirectly) educational fake?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anbaric said:

I bet that FED prototype would be worth more than any normal Leica I - I hope a faker doesn't get hold of one without realising what they have!...

The very early FSU cameras have a very determined set of collectors in their own right and values of the rarest examples can be eye-wateringly steep. If any of the 30 Pre-Production(?) 'Leica I' FED cameras still exists then tracking one down would be akin - for the FSU devotees - to finding a genuine Luxus.

And I'm not kidding...

Philip.

• Like 1