Gordy’s strap question

apatel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have loved using the Gordy’s wrist strap. I am thinking of getting a neck strap long enough to carry cross body so the camera sits at point where hip flexes to minimize camera bouncing when walking.   Do you recommend the neck pad? I’m wondering whether the neck pad would inhibit movement of strap to bring the camera up to shooting position.

Do you recommend any other straps for this purpose? 

Please let me know your thoughts. 

aman

5 hours ago, apatel said:

I have loved using the Gordy’s wrist strap. I am thinking of getting a neck strap long enough to carry cross body so the camera sits at point where hip flexes to minimize camera bouncing when walking.   Do you recommend the neck pad? I’m wondering whether the neck pad would inhibit movement of strap to bring the camera up to shooting position.

aman

Make sure to measure your cross body resting at the hip and then check if your size is available with whatever strap company you choose. I’m on the tall side and most of these popular and expensive neck straps are just too short for me to wear cross body style so I stick with a wrist strap. 

• Like 2

Take a look at the straps made by Harry Benz:  https://www.harrybenz.com/shop

I have one of Harry's B Straps on both my Q2 and M10 Monochrom.  They are 142 cm. in length so when I wear my camera with the strap across my body diagonally, the camera falls where my hand naturally falls so I can easily keep my hand on it to keep it from bouncing around.  140 cm. +/- a couple of cm. is the ideal length for me for this type of camera carry (I'm just a hair under 6 feet tall).

Harry will make a strap in about any length you want for taller folk who need a longer strap - and his straps are truly outstanding in terms of materials and craftsmanship.

• Thanks 1

On 5/9/2021 at 6:26 PM, Herr Barnack said:

Take a look at the straps made by Harry Benz:  https://www.harrybenz.com/shop

I have one of Harry's B Straps on both my Q2 and M10 Monochrom.  They are 142 cm. in length so when I wear my camera with the strap across my body diagonally, the camera falls where my hand naturally falls so I can easily keep my hand on it to keep it from bouncing around.  140 cm. +/- a couple of cm. is the ideal length for me for this type of camera carry (I'm just a hair under 6 feet tall).

Harry will make a strap in about any length you want for taller folk who need a longer strap - and his straps are truly outstanding in terms of materials and craftsmanship.

Thanks all for the replies and the welcome. I have browsed the forums for the last 10 years - finally posted.

Herr Barnack (not sure if its your name or alias) - I have been looking at the Vintage B and it looks great. Definitely more expensive than Gordy's.  Other than the aesthetics - I hear they are softer. They also seem a little wider.  How do you compare the two? 

@apatel I have only used the B Strap made by Harry Benz so I cannot offer first hand experience on the Gordy's straps.  Judging from the images on their website, Gordy's straps look like they are sturdy and well made and the prices are certainly attractive.  Gordy's leather looks like it is perhaps not quite as wide as the leather that Harry uses in making the B Strap, which is 1/2 in. wide and 1/8 in. thick.  That said, Gordy's straps look functional and sturdy enough to safely use with CL, M and Q cameras; I would want a more sturdy strap on an SL2 or an S3, though.  Harry Benz makes a strap called the Brogue SL/SL2 for heavier cameras. 

The Leather used in the Benz straps - Water Buffalo - becomes very supple and pliable over time.  My oldest B Strap is four years old and it is buttery smooth and soft.  I take my B Straps off my cameras and apply a leather treatment to them a couple of times per year, which keeps them from drying out and developing cracks and also helps to soften them.

Another possibility is the Tamarkin leather camera strap, which looks like a really excellent strap and is priced somewhat lower than the B Strap:  http://www.tamarkin.com/tamarkin-camera-leather-camera-strap

I really like the Arte Di Mano camera straps but they are not available in a 140 cm (55 in.) length, which is the length I want for cross body wear.  Due to that factor, my eye keeps returning to the B Strap and to the Tamarkin straps.

Hope this helps.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have been looking at Harry Benz Vintage B. They look great. Has anyone found an acceptable “quick release” system to move from shoulder to wrist strap use?  Would be nice to use wrist strap solo without the shoulder solo. I suppose can use the Vintage B wrapped onto the wrist but not as nice as a separate wrist strap. I looked at Harry Benz J loop but much prefer not to have camera hang by one lug. That’s the beauty of the Peak Design, but the anchors are clunky on the Leica M. The leash works well on my Leica SL. 

I love the Artisan & Artist ACAM-25ER Easy Slider Camera Strap (and especially in the Khaki colour)

http://www.artisan-n-artist.com/product_detail.php?id=189

1419249614_IMG_450920.jpg

vceuTqu34VZYg_nLWL--n2mh8zmyQCj1egU5Kr22

http://www.artisan-n-artist.com/ufiles/1448247699.jpg

Another favorite is the Leica Rope Strap Desigend By COOPH, with O-Ring - 49.6"/ 126cm (prefer the red one, but many colours to select from)

https://store.leica-camera.com/uk/en/rope-strap-red-designed-by-cooph?number=18597

5041780152.jpg

https://www.leica-store-muenchen.de/en/product/15587/leica-rope-strap-designed-cooph-olive-126cm

leica-rope-strap-designed-cooph-olive-12

On 5/9/2021 at 7:04 PM, apatel said:

aman

aman

I love the Artisan & Artist ACAM-25ER Easy Slider Camera Strap (and especially in the Khaki colour)

Another favorite is the Leica Rope Strap Desigend By COOPH, with O-Ring - 49.6"/ 126cm (prefer the red one, but many colours to select from)

https://store.leica-camera.com/uk/en/rope-strap-red-designed-by-cooph?number=18597

5041780152.jpg

https://www.leica-store-muenchen.de/en/product/15587/leica-rope-strap-designed-cooph-olive-126cm

aman

5041780152.jpg

On 5/13/2021 at 11:10 AM, Herr Barnack said:

I really like the Arte Di Mano camera straps but they are not available in a 140 cm (55 in.) length, which is the length I want for cross body wear.  

Depends on the leather used...

https://leicastoremiami.com/pages/arte-di-mano-custom-ordering?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpZfF8PvJ8AIVFPjICh3AJwTDEAAYASAAEgIWOfD_BwE

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Thanks 1

Hey Apatel,

Harry Benz does custom work. That’s how the JLoop was invented at “J”s request.

I suggest you request Harry to do an “A” Strap, which would be a regular open strap with a snap on both ends, one leading to a hand strap and the other end to the short connector he calls a dongle that comes with the JLoop, since snaps could not attach directly to the eyehole. He will do it and perhaps name it after you, but you will need to be patient for say ten weeks. Harry should name it after me since I just invented it, but the letter J has already been taken. 

Jack

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

For those who like the idea of a wrist strap that can be part of a neck strap, but who fear hanging their camera from a single eye when using the J-Loop from Harry Benz, perhaps this could be the custom solution? The A-Strap. This picture is with a Leica M, but custom straps could also be done with an SL using Harry's SL straps and wrist straps.

When you unsnap the clips to just use the wrist straps, the strap left behind could be secured by clipping the ends together.  For me, the J-Loop works off the single eye, but reading forum postings shows some want more security. Go for it Apatel.

Sure PD straps can do this also, but not as attractive. 

Jack

On 5/17/2021 at 4:57 PM, LeicaS2 said:

20 minutes ago, LeicaS2 said:

For those who like the idea of a wrist strap that can be part of a neck strap, but who fear hanging their camera from a single eye when using the J-Loop from Harry Benz, perhaps this could be the custom solution? The A-Strap. This picture is with a Leica M, but custom straps could also be done with an SL using Harry's SL straps and wrist straps.

When you unsnap the clips to just use the wrist straps, the strap left behind could be secured by clipping the ends together.  For me, the J-Loop works off the single eye, but reading forum postings shows some want more security. Go for it Apatel.

Sure PD straps can do this also, but not as attractive. 

Jack

Jack - thanks. I have exactly discussed this with Harry as I have been thinking of a quick release solution to use with his straps. The one concern he raised was the excessive amount of metal around the body - which can be obviated by removing strap every time when placing in bag and overall “messy” Set up. I do agree that overall functionality would be awesome at expense of beauty - but if I really wanted that maybe the PD would be better. I’m starting to think that Harry straps permanently attached to the camera wouldn’t be such a bad thing 

• Like 1

I'm a very satisfied user of the Gordy's strap which I wear almost daily,  cross body style. No problem with the neck pad. For my M10 (and also for the Nikon FM2T) I use the one where you can adjust the length, main reason is that in winter with bad weather I wear it under my coat and not in the bandolier style. In ths case I make it shorter which is good. In case with dry weather I want it over the coat I can make it longer and it is easier to use the camera.

At the end I find it very flexible in the use. By the way the customer service is good in case you need, but this probably you already know!

I always try to be a positive poster of comments. If you can't say anything good, etc.. 

However, I feel compelled to chip in on the thread here. I had a Gordy's shoulder strap on my M Monochrom, back in 2013. I liked it a lot. It seemed nice leather, and because it's a thin strap, it didn't take up much space in a camera bag. Sadly though, the strap failed, and my M Monochrom fell to the ground. Fortunately, it hit a wooden floor, and there didn't seem to be any damage to the camera (I went on to drop that poor camera on two further occasions).

The point where the leather loops back on itself at the ends was the problem. The binding had come adrift, and I was surprised to see that it was a thin metal staple underneath which was securing the loop. The staple had not held. Other straps I've used since have stitching, which ensures that the two leather halves are secured tightly in multiple places.

I emailed Gordy's and they were very apologetic, and sent me a new strap, free of charge. Can't fault their customer service. But my trust in the design had been dented, and I now use Tap & Dye straps, which I think are great.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

What's everyone's take on strap bumpers?

I know Harry Benz's straps are designed to not need them (the thickness of the loop prevents the ring from hitting the camera) but a lot of straps I see (like the COOPH or Tamarkin) don't have any options for bumpers. I've always had them on my Gordys straps but was wondering if it was time to let the little flaps go!

K. 

Edited by grownupboy

36 minutes ago, grownupboy said:

What's everyone's take on strap bumpers?

I know Harry Benz's straps are designed to not need them (the thickness of the loop prevents the ring from hitting the camera) but a lot of straps I see (like the COOPH or Tamarkin) don't have any options for bumpers. I've always had them on my Gordys straps but was wondering if it was time to let the little flaps go!

K. 

I found the perfect strap for me after buying a lot of good ones and ending up getting rid of every single one. 

The Rock n’ Roll strap. The normal one (not the slim). It’s thick enough that doesn’t need a pad. And the ends are thick that they don’t need those flaps that look terrible anyway because they’re always bent up. It takes all the weight of the camera and it’s super comfy. 

also you can custom order the length from 100cm to 125cm. Perfect. 

Edited by Cthulhu

On 5/9/2021 at 12:04 PM, apatel said:

I have loved using the Gordy’s wrist strap

On 5/9/2021 at 12:04 PM, apatel said:

After testing many, I found my perfect strap, and it’s actually the large neck Gordy Strap…. Exactly what I wanted and needed: thin, super light, and small enough to put it around the lens when I keep the camera in the bag. It takes almost no space, but it’s comfortable enough. No neck pad is needed..