Which of these would you grab on a city trip?

Posted (edited)

I would prefer to travel with a M240/M10 because of the smaller size. Specially if we are talking native 35mm lenses.

Edited by Joakim

M240 vs SL2 : SL2 no question for me.  

M10 vs SL2 : difficult.  With only one lens and in the near future no other extra lens, probably the M10 for its compactness.  But like @Leicaistealready said "which 35"?  A vintage Cron IV or a Summilux FLE?  Then the FLE maybe on the SL2 by a small margin.  The Corn IV definitely on the M10.

If more lenses are on the roadmap, then again which ones? 28 mm to 75 mm : no doubt the M10.  Wider or longer then the SL2 comes in as the more appropriate choice.

On a general note : If you consider the current M, SL and CL line of cameras and the LTM, M and R lens series (old and new), then Leica has a unique offering in the market that is not seen elsewhere.  Especially if you take into account that more than 90 years of history of fine optics is still available on a wide range of cameras with each their specifics and areas of use. But it doesn't make the choice easy.

Hi there!

I've owned the m240 and the m10 in the past. Currently I have the SL2-s and can say without bias I would definately take it out other than the other two if it were up to me.

Size doesn't bother me so I'm good there. The high ISO, IBIS and ability to switch over to video if need be is what gets me. It's so versatile and I can use my M lenses if I want a smaller form.

Plus, the grip is a bonus for me. Feels so nice and ergonomic!

My 2c!

Just one M lens, then I'd take the M camera.

The SL is a great universal mount for all Leica and Leitz lenses, and it's a great camera too.  But if you're taking one M lens, why bother?  If you need video, your M240 will do that; but more importantly the M240 is smaller, lighter and perfect for manual focus with the rangefinder.  I find my M10-D far faster and more intuitive than my SL using M lenses.

It would be good to know which 35.  Some M lenses work better on the SL than others ...

One lens with the SL?  24-90 ... but that's not what you asked.

40 minutes ago, IkarusJohn said:

Just one M lens, then I'd take the M camera.

The SL is a great universal mount for all Leica and Leitz lenses, and it's a great camera too.  But if you're taking one M lens, why bother?  If you need video, your M240 will do that; but more importantly the M240 is smaller, lighter and perfect for manual focus with the rangefinder.  I find my M10-D far faster and more intuitive than my SL using M lenses.

It would be good to know which 35.  Some M lenses work better on the SL than others ...

One lens with the SL?  24-90 ... but that's not what you asked.

+1 . But the same could be said of a CL with a 21/23/24/25  mm lens.Even smaller, even lighter and with comparable image quality.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

For a city outing and one prime 35 lens, the M every time. I had the M10 and 35 Summicron asph with me for my last trip to London and it was such a good experience - both being back in the smoke and using an M again. I’ve loved the SL2 and the 24-90 in the hills during this interminable lock down, but the M is an urban animal! Evidence below 🙂

https://www.flickr.com/gp/ctribble/gU568G

Edited by chris_tribble
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 5/22/2021 at 3:48 PM, setuporg said:

Why would you hike with a heavy load?:). Q2 is made for hiking.

Rugged, weatherproof and one lens with a useful range. Not sure I’d take a 28mm lens with me when heading into the hills …

Edited by IkarusJohn
16 hours ago, IkarusJohn said:

Rugged, weatherproof and one lens with a useful range. Not sure I’d take a 28mm lens with me when heading into the hills …

True, you need a longer lens for many landscapes, but carrying a huge weight up the mountain is no fun either.  An M10R with WATE+APO 50 one of 90/135 could be more fun/versatile...