Typ 109 Servicing

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi All,

I have a Typ 109 and recently it has started malfunctioning, the zoom facility (in shooting and playback) works very erratically often not at all often zooming the opposite way to where I want. The zoom on the lens ring works fine but of course that is no use for zooming during playback. I am in UK, does anyone know of a UK repair/service facility that I can approach to get it sorted please?

Topsy, just in case you have no electrical contact cleaner, try emailing 'customer care' at Leica UK. Although response is slow (Covid-19), you will receive good advice. I used them a few months ago with my X1 problem. Check the website for precise details. It occasionally changes.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/8/2021 at 5:16 PM, Topsy said:

Hi All,

I have a Typ 109 and recently it has started malfunctioning, the zoom facility (in shooting and playback) works very erratically often not at all often zooming the opposite way to where I want. The zoom on the lens ring works fine but of course that is no use for zooming during playback. I am in UK, does anyone know of a UK repair/service facility that I can approach to get it sorted please?

So, Topsy, what did you decide to do?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 minutes ago, Topsy said:

Nothing yet, not had any feedback from my question yet as to where to approach. Just living with the issue for now.

You live in Devon UK. In post #3 I suggested you contact Customer Care at Leica UK. Graham, in post #4, gave you another contact. Although personnel change, Leica has a duty of care in helping its customers and Leica UK has been very helpful to me in the past.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wda said:

You live in Devon UK. In post #3 I suggested you contact Customer Care at Leica UK. Graham, in post #4, gave you another contact. Although personnel change, Leica has a duty of care in helping its customers and Leica UK has been very helpful to me in the past.

Sorry guys, for some reason best known to the computer gods I had missed all the previous replies until I just re-booted my computer by accident and now I see them all. No idea what happened.

On 5/31/2021 at 8:00 AM, Graham (G4FUJ) said:

You could also try these services:

https://acecamerarepair.co.uk/

On 5/8/2021 at 5:54 PM, wda said:

Topsy, just in case you have no electrical contact cleaner, try emailing 'customer care' at Leica UK. Although response is slow (Covid-19), you will receive good advice. I used them a few months ago with my X1 problem. Check the website for precise details. It occasionally changes.

On 5/8/2021 at 5:30 PM, Graham (G4FUJ) said:

Sounds a little like my "C".

A tiny (and I mean tiny) squirt of electrical contact cleaner (not WD40 &c.) and exercise the zoom switch usually works for a few months.

On 5/8/2021 at 5:30 PM, Graham (G4FUJ) said:

Sounds a little like my "C".

A tiny (and I mean tiny) squirt of electrical contact cleaner (not WD40 &c.) and exercise the zoom switch usually works for a few months.

Thanks for the advice Graham, my spray arrived and I have squirted it and success. It took a couple of goes to get it smooth but now all is OK.

Again apologies for missing the posts, no idea what hapened.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The sticky zoom lever is a common problem on the D lux 109 and the Leica C 112  ... contact cleaner sometimes works but the anomaly is liable to return. Sliding a thin but stiff slip of paper under the zoom lever (after applying some electrical contact cleaner to the paper) and 'push -pull' back and forth will sometimes clean any dust/grease (human sweat) from the mechanism ... but the problem will return. It's a known anomaly with  Panasonic and Panasonic 'badge engineered' Leica compact cameras. Fora permanent repair please consider contacting Leica Camera Technician David Slater  at Leica Mayfair:   CustomerCare.UK@leica-camera.com ... he has remedied several friends' Leica compact cameras with the same problem ... and mine 

dunk

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dkCambridgeshire said:

The sticky zoom lever is a common problem on the D lux 109 and the Leica C 112  ... contact cleaner sometimes works but the anomaly is liable to return. Sliding a thin but stiff slip of paper under the zoom lever (after applying some electrical contact cleaner to the paper) and 'push -pull' back and forth will sometimes clean any dust/grease (human sweat) from the mechanism ... but the problem will return. It's a known anomaly with  Panasonic and Panasonic 'badge engineered' Leica compact cameras. Fora permanent repair please consider contacting Leica Camera Technician David Slater  at Leica Mayfair:   CustomerCare.UK@leica-camera.com ... he has remedied several friends' Leica compact cameras with the same problem ... and mine 

dunk

Dunk, I believe David Slater has left Leica.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, wda said:

Dunk, I believe David Slater has left Leica.

Thank you .David  .. David Slater has been so helpful to many Leica enthusiasts including members of The Leica Society when Leica Mayfair hosted their demo days ... and David was also extremely helpful at the annual Rutland Bird Fairs where he repaired and adjusted visitors' 'scopes, binoculars, lenses and cameras.  

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
typo
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, dkCambridgeshire said:

Thank you .David  .. David Slater has been so helpful to many Leica enthusiasts including members of The Leica Society when Leica Mayfair hosted their demo days ... and David was also extremely helpful at the annual Rutland Bird Fairs where he repaired and adjusted visitors' 'scopes, binoculars, lenses and cameras.  

I agree. His most recent repair for me was breathing new life into my X1. He was a gem and Leica should have kept him. I think he is now working for Elstree Studios. Good luck to him. I wonder who has replaced him?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

So for some reason I have missed several posts to this thread?? Anyway finally my D-Lux has stopped zooming and focussing with the switch so I have reached out to Leica Mayfair who tell me that it is repairable in UK so tomorrow it goes off to them. I miss it already but hopefully they can sort it for me. 🤞

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Topsy said:

So for some reason I have missed several posts to this thread?? Anyway finally my D-Lux has stopped zooming and focussing with the switch so I have reached out to Leica Mayfair who tell me that it is repairable in UK so tomorrow it goes off to them. I miss it already but hopefully they can sort it for me. 🤞

Please update this thread, based on your experience. I have confidence that there will be a good outcome. 

• Like 1