Where is SL Lens Firmware 2.0 Update (10/12/20) for the SL601 camera to be found?

wlaidlaw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have been able to find the instructions for installation of this Lens update firmware 2.0 on the SL601 and can find the lens firmware update for the SL2 and SL2-S in multiple languages but cannot find the lens firmware update itself for the SL601, on the Leica Support/Downloads section of the Leica-camera website. I should be grateful if someone could point me in the correct direction. I have checked in my own large library of Leica FW updates and the latest SL601 FW update I have is Version 3.7 dated 06/02/2020 and that was a camera, not a lens update. 

Wilson

1 hour ago, wlaidlaw said:

I have been able to find the instructions for installation of this Lens update firmware 2.0 on the SL601 and can find the lens firmware update for the SL2 and SL2-S in multiple languages but cannot find the lens firmware update itself for the SL601, on the Leica Support/Downloads section of the Leica-camera website. I should be grateful if someone could point me in the correct direction. I have checked in my own large library of Leica FW updates and the latest SL601 FW update I have is Version 3.7 dated 06/02/2020 and that was a camera, not a lens update. 

Wilson

Is it not bottom of the page here Wilson?

https://en.leica-camera.com/Corposite/Service-Support/Support/Downloads?category=128329&subcategory=&type=&language=93871

I don't have an SL but I would have thought downloading the lens firmware and then following usual process would work, apologies if you have tried this and it didn't.

Edited by Boojay

vor 2 Stunden schrieb wlaidlaw:

Wilson

If I remember correctly, I used the lens update firmware that was provided on the SL2-S homepage, put it on a SD card and used it with my SL 601 to update the SL lenses. Hope this helps.

Edited by Patrickxyz

The SL lens firmware can be updated with the Leica SL(Typ 601).

The Leica support firmware downloads page has the  SLLens01.plf and  SLLens03.plf downloads.

What is misleading is that the  Information Firmware Update Leica SL lenses page states that for update version 2.0, the file name is SLLens03.plf.

Edited by RoySmith

These files are not present on the Leica UK support page but only on the US support page. Many thanks folks for pointing me in the correct direction. I had rather assumed that the downloads would be the same on both sites - they should be. 

Wilson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I cannot get SLLens03.plf lens firmware update file to work. If I put the earlier SLLens01.plf on the SD card, the correct menu item for lens firmware update shows but the camera quite correctly says "already running this version". When I delete SLLens01.plf and replace with SLLens03.plf on the SD card in its place, the lens firmware update on the menu does not even show. Is SLLens03.plf the correct lens firmware for an SL601 or is it for a later SL2 or SL2-S? The file size on the SD card is not quite correct at 2.01MB whereas Leica say it should be 1.94MB. 

Any more suggestions folks

I think I have puzzled it out. Leica have made a total b***ocks of this lens FW update. On the Leica UK website on SL lens information, (but not in SL Camera firmware update listings, unlike Leica USA), they list two firmware updates: V. 2.0 dated 10/12/20 and listed at 1.94MB but actually 2,032,957 bytes and with a file name just to confuse you of SLLens03.plf . This file will run in the SL601 and duly updates the lens firmware to v2.0. So far so good (or it would be if it was less confusing). 

However Leica now lists another Lens Firmware update underneath the one above but with no version number and with a later date of 25/03/21. This link downloads an identically named file ofSLLens03.plf  at an identical size of 2,032,957 Bytes, except this one does not run at all. 

Someone been at the Absinthe? 

Wilson

• Haha 1