SL2 and Sigma 14-24 Art - Problems with "intelligent AF".......

i-Leica

5 minutes ago, i-Leica said:

so... is it working this way?? even with original Leica lens? I thought I have a bad copy of the sigma lens.

Nope. Lens is fine. It's normal in iAF and AFC. It's the DFD system moving back and forth constantly to work out which way to move for focus, which is how contrast detect focus works. Shows up more on some lenses than others but it's always there. Doesn't happen in AFS.

Even though the *flutter* is there, the actual images are usually in focus, so it's more of an annoyance than a performance issue.

Gordon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AF-S is so fast I almost never need anything else.... and I shot action photography with R7, R8, M4, M7, M9...

But yeah the blurring of EVF in AF-C or when iAF decides to use "C-ontinuous" insted of "S-ingle" is a bit disconcerting at first, but when you truly need it for fast moving action, you will notice it much less.

Especially with such a wide angle you should be covered by AF-S for 95% of the time.

• Thanks 1

Yep, I own the 14-24 an can confirm the same thing on my SL2. Contrast based auto-focus essentially overshoots and dials it back to get perfect focus. Putting the camera on AF-C is simply going to keep the camera in a constant state of doing...exactly that.  As FlashGordonPhotography mentioned above, however, the images themselves are almost always spot on. Nice lens, by the way! I love mine. 

• Thanks 1