Any particular R lenses recommended for M10R?

pmendelson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a M10R and the following: 21mm SEM, 28mm Summilux, 50mm Summilux, and the 28mm PC R shift lens.  I love the 28mm PC lens on the M10R, and since I already have a R-M adapter, was wondering if there are certain R lenses that are unique like the 28mm PC or are otherwise really special that would be worth considering for the M10R instead of an M lens?  One that caught my eye is the 21-35mm zoom.  I shoot a lot of urban and coastal landscape, so generally I shoot wide or long (no macro).  

Thanks,

Peter

180 f3.4 Apo

280 f4.0 Apo

Both outstanding and unique but you wil need a Visoflex to focus.  Be aware that the 180 is not designed as a close focus lens.  Ideal subject distance is 10m to infinity.  The 280 is an iconic R lens but the IBIS on the SL2 is a better combo than an M body.   But if you can get hold off one of these two lenses, do not hesitate. 

• Thanks 2

I was thinking on the same lines but with the 180 2,8 Apo R lens, which with it's 'Crop 'till you drop' detail and stunning image quality would make a perfect partner for the M10R. 

Another lens which is hugely popular with M camera users is the 80mm Summilux R lens, which is the R equivalent of the Noctilux, with fine depth of field and an enchanting colour signature and bokeh.  The 50mm Summilux, although styled on the M equivalent, also has it's own signature and subtlety which is hard to beat.

I also found that the later 35-70 f4,0 Zoom complimented the style of the M camera very well and added a zoom function which was quite convenient.

Edited by robert_parker
  • Like 1

You like wide or long...

How about the Vario-Elmarit 28-90 f2.8-4? it was one of the last R lenses to hit the market. There's also the Vario-Elmar 28-70 f3.5-4.5. Both are ROM lenses, which means they transfer information to the camera (this might be useful when mounted on an M10 body).

I don't have the 28-90, but I own the 28-70, and it's a great partner to my R9 body.

Before I got my SL2 I used a 28-90 a lot on my M240 (with adapter and EVF2). It's quite a heavy combination, though perfectly manageable. (It's best not to think of the combination as an M camera at all!) Now I have the SL2  + adapter,  I use my M240 with a Summarit 35/2.4 as an M camera. The 28-90 R is a very good lens indeed, but commands a relatively high price.

15 hours ago, solareslarrave said:

How about the Vario-Elmarit 28-90 f2.8-4? it was one of the last R lenses to hit the market.

I have used this on my M240 and M10.  Excellent lens but indeed like @masjahsaid it's not a typical M combo.  Nowadays the 28-90 is my goto zoom on the SL2.  I would love to see in a comparison how this R lens holds up against the native SL zooms.  I know it has no autofocus but that is a feature most M users will not miss.  I have no complaints at all except maybe for the price.  But once you have it it will hold its value fairly well.

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a bunch of lovely R lenses but found when I was using the M-P 240 that the only ones of them I used on that camera were the macro lenses and the 180mm, with and without the 2x Extender-R. The M-mount lenses I had were more than enough for most purposes, and fit the camera so much better.

G

Hello Peter.

As a 50 year veteran using Leica Cameras, I certainly wouldn't bother using R lenses on the M system using the Mickey Mouse EVF.

I originally bought the M240 back in 2014 for that reason to try with my R lenses, it was terrible, after years of looking through Leica R camera's viewfinders, the EVF was hopeless.

If you have never viewed the viewfinder of the Leicaflex, SL, or the SL-2 R7, R8 or R9 you don't know what you're missing.

Personally if you want to use those beautiful R lenses and stay in the Leica camp, get yourself the SL or SL-2/s, I consider the SL system at present to be the

BEST DIGITAL CAMERAS that LEICA MAKE.

One of the advantages of the R- Lenses is the ability to mount them to most Mirrorless system unlike the SL and S lenses, so you  have quite a few choices with Leica R lenses.

I feel the best universal mount for R lenses is to the Canon EF mount.

Example, some of my current R lenses, 28-90 attached to the Canon EF adapter then to Sigma MC-21 EF to L mount for use on Panasonic and Leica SL, or another alternative is the 21-35 attached to the Canon EF to Canon R mount via the EF mount, also don't forget Sony, I also use my R Lenses on my Fuji X system but unfortunately it's a crop.

It's  your choice, anything is better then attaching R lenses to M cameras, after all, it was  only a stop gap solution for Leica to give us R owners some consolation for the discontinuation of the R system until something better appeared, and in my opinion it has, it's called the SL system, however I still wish for the R10 but that's never going to happen....RIP...

I hope my opinion helps.

Ken.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by hamey
  • Like 1

On 5/8/2021 at 9:55 PM, robert_parker said:

I was thinking on the same lines but with the 180 2,8 Apo R lens, which with it's 'Crop 'till you drop' detail and stunning image quality would make a perfect partner for the M10R. 

Another lens which is hugely popular with M camera users is the 80mm Summilux R lens, which is the R equivalent of the Noctilux, with fine depth of field and an enchanting colour signature and bokeh.  The 50mm Summilux, although styled on the M equivalent, also has it's own signature and subtlety which is hard to beat.

I also found that the later 35-70 f4,0 Zoom complimented the style of the M camera very well and added a zoom function which was quite convenient.

+1 for the Elmarit 180, it's resolution is absolutely crazy! And fairly lightweight! The 280 f4 is of similiar optical quality but is a quite heavy. Both can (compared to more recent lenses) flare under certain conditions, be careful with front filters on these. Otherwise I really like the Summilux 80, 35-70f4 and 80-200f4. The 21-35 is great, but for all wides it does not really make sense to hunt Leica-R lenses. If you already own them, use them and enjoy them, if you don't own them, don't bother; there are far better M-alternatives out there.

• Thanks 1

I'll just mention that there is one other legendary Leica lens that is mentioned only rarely and just a few people own - the 35-70 2,8 zoom - this is said to have superlative performance but would be very hard and expensive to obtain.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

All the lenses here are fun to use, and I use them on the R6.2, R8, R9 and SL2.  I don’t use them as much on an M system, but the results would be the same.  The other lenses I really enjoy on the SL2 are the APO 70-180 f/2.8 - which is heavy and good for tripod use, not walking around, as is the APO 280 f/2.8.  For smaller ones I have managed to pick up a 28mm  f/2.8 v1 with ROM and a 35mm f/2.8 V2 with ROM.  While not the best wide open, they perform well at f/5.6 to f/22 and loosing just a little contrast in the highest f stops is not a problem in post.  Fun character but the smaller primes are not the sharpest technically.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2021 at 1:04 AM, hamey said:

If you have never viewed the viewfinder of the Leicaflex, SL, or the SL-2 R7, R8 or R9 you don't know what you're missing.

Personally if you want to use those beautiful R lenses and stay in the Leica camp, get yourself the SL or SL-2/s

I agree on the viewfinder! I would add the S system to that as it is also an SLR. In addition, I agree the SL system is the most versatile.  I use an M, R, S and Nikon adapter on the SL depending on the situation.  I may take the M10M and SL on a vacation with M glass.  I may take the R6.2, R8 and the SL to do some landscape work with some R glass and the SL 16-35. I have also taken my Nikon F3 and SL with Nikon AIS glass for outings.  The SL makes enjoying other systems easy.

The f/stop limitation with the SL system is also irrelevant.  1. The EVF compensates making an f/stop of 2.8 to 4.5 easy to focus through and 2. The good high ISO performance means light is typically not an issue.  I do use a tripod a lot, but I do landscape work.  If I’m walking about I just watch my shutter speed and adjust the ISO accordingly.  Note the the SL2 IBIS on the sensor even makes that somewhat irrelevant.  

I would pick an R lens for the character.  I would try it out on an SL2 if possible because you can really see the character of the lens, flaws and all, on higher pixel count.  IMHO.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

If I may ask for your help with my next R lens selection - I'm currently looking at a 28mm Elmarit R f/2.8 vs a 35mm Summicron R f/2 with slide out hood. I will use this lens on my SL2-S. I have some other Leica M lenses, Nikon and Zeiss that I also use on the SL2-S. So I just looking at these two R lenses right now. I would be grateful for any wisdom/experience.

Thank you.

Edited by OR120
sp

On 8/1/2021 at 4:09 AM, OR120 said:

If I may ask for your help with my next R lens selection - I'm currently looking at a 28mm Elmarit R f/2.8 vs a 35mm Summicron R f/2 with slide out hood. I will use this lens on my SL2-S. I have some other Leica M lenses, Nikon and Zeiss that I also use on the SL2-S. So I just looking at these two R lenses right now. I would be grateful for any wisdom/experience.

Thank you.

Which version of the 28? There is an updated version of the 28 which is really good (better? Than the summicron), otherwise it’s more about which FOV you prefer. 

The sharpest (and cheapest) 35 in the R-lineup is the Elmarit 35.

• Like 2

I actually use the version 1 28mm elmarit R because it is so small.  I use it on the R8,9 and my SL2. You won’t get e due to edge landscapes with either one (V1 or V2) but it is a great lens for documentary work. Spot on focus at the center at f2.8 with plenty of fine details. If I get time I’ll upload a close up my cat with this lens. Fur is a great fine detail test. The 35 is pretty weak imho. 

• Like 1