1957 Mercedes SL300 Roadster

When my grandpa bought his Mercedes Cabriolets in the 1950s they were the equivalent price of a small house. Today these cars are still the price of a small house and at least one still exists in good shape. Given the fact that they were bought for driving and travelling not the worst investment.

Today I wouldn‘t recommend buying an expensive car for long term investment reasons. Know a guy who collected rare highend sportscars. In a crazy moment he sold some of them to buy two (!!!) BMW i8 „sportscars“ as they were the first of their kind of that maker (except concept cars)and might become worth a lot later (he said). Dream on, this will become the most expensive automotive toxic waste you ever bought I said.

• Like 1

Guest Nowhereman

A Rolls Royce was $12,500 at that time. Never owned one a 350SL, but regularly drove a dark blue one belonging to my roommate in Cambridge. I recall one day picking up two girls and driving on Storrow Drive on the way back from Boston with one the passengers screaming when we reached 90 mph, on tight curves, and me telling her, "don't worry that's only the tachometer" and explaining what the tachometer was. Ah youth...

Hello Everybody,

I would guess the actual cost of living in the USofA, measured in US Dollars, has gone up about 30 times between 1957 & 2021. Or perhaps a little more. That would make the $8,000 purchase price of this 300SL the equivalent of $240,000, or perhaps a bit more today. This amount is more or less the same 1/2 of the cost of a reasonably nice home in both 1957 Dollars in 1957 and in the somewhat more inflated 2021 Dollars of today around here.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht