Jono's Review: Leica Vario Elmarit SL 24-70 f2.8 ASPH

jonoslack

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 5/7/2021 at 5:03 PM, aksclix said:

Now let’s start the rumors for a compact Leica 70-200 f2.8 😀 

I doubt there are many takers for a 90-280 with its size and weight and hefty price! Although I have one and the 24-90 makes my perfect kit.. 

Boy would I love a 300 or 400 F4 APO fixed prime. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Priaptor said:

Boy would I love a 300 or 400 F4 APO fixed prime. 

Then the Leica 280 F4 APO Telyt-R might be your thing? Eventually add the APO 1.4 adapter. That makes almost a 400 (which is not available on the native SL lens)

And before you say it : no autofocus. Indeed.  But optics are at such an incredible high level and the focus ring buttery smooth.  If you can find a clean late ROM version and want to put the cash for it on the table, do not hesitate a second.  Only 1000 3-cam and 1000 ROM version were made and they will hold value and will give you tremendous amounts of joy when using them on an SL2.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Stef63 said:

Then the Leica 280 F4 APO Telyt-R might be your thing? Eventually add the APO 1.4 adapter. That makes almost a 400 (which is not available on the native SL lens)

And before you say it : no autofocus. Indeed.  But optics are at such an incredible high level and the focus ring buttery smooth.  If you can find a clean late ROM version and want to put the cash for it on the table, do not hesitate a second.  Only 1000 3-cam and 1000 ROM version were made and they will hold value and will give you tremendous amounts of joy when using them on an SL2.  

had considered all of that before but am not gonna get a manual focusing lens at that focal length.. got the 90-280 instead and I shoot crop mode for extra reach

• Like 2

On 5/7/2021 at 3:35 PM, Herr Barnack said:

The is 24-70 is 272 g./0.6 lb. lighter than the 24-90, it is $2800 USD less costly, and it is a constant f/2.8 maximum aperture; that doesn't sound like good news for the 24-90.

Providing the SL community with a less costly option in that focal length range is commendable but beyond that, I am puzzled as to what Leica's thinking is behind this lens.

I think it's a great move in terms of Leica creating a 'premium kit' lens option for the buyers of an SL2 or SL2-S, it gives people a significant discount on the standalone price so it appears very affordable and closer to the Sigma's and Panasonic's and perhaps allows people to buy an SL APO prime with some of the money that save on buying the 24-90. Many existing owners of the SL line probably have the 24-90 already, as I do, so I'm not sure it would appeal to many as a standalone purchase though.

However, if you you look at it from a new SL2 or SL2-S users point of view a) buy the kit b) the money you save on buying a 24-90 in comparison goes a long way to buying an SL 35mm APO f2 for example. Seems like a very sensible strategy to me.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, SJH said:

I think it's a great move in terms of Leica creating a 'premium kit' lens option for the buyers of an SL2 or SL2-S, it gives people a significant discount on the standalone price so it appears very affordable and closer to the Sigma's and Panasonic's and perhaps allows people to buy an SL APO prime with some of the money that save on buying the 24-90. Many existing owners of the SL line probably have the 24-90 already, as I do, so I'm not sure it would appeal to many as a standalone purchase though.

However, if you you look at it from a new SL2 or SL2-S users point of view a) buy the kit b) the money you save on buying a 24-90 in comparison goes a long way to buying an SL 35mm APO f2 for example. Seems like a very sensible strategy to me.

Yes, I think the same.  I am Leica MD and Leica TL2 user and thinking now and I have to try SL2-S with the new zoom.  However, I wait a bit because I want to be sure that 24-70 is future-proof for the next generation or 2 of Leica camera.  This is a great way for Leica to gain new SL customers.  Maybe they should consider putting a set together with a prime?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It will be interesting to make direct IQ comparisons with the Sigma, which costs a bit more than 1/3 as much.

Outside the L system, the new Nikon 24-70 f/2.8, which costs 2/3 as much as the Leica, is getting extremely strong reviews. Is Nikon making the lens itself, or has it, too, outsourced to Sigma? The Ligma  is 19 elements in 15 groups while the Nikon is 20 elements in 16 groups. And some different types of glass. Still....

Edited by bags27

vor 7 Stunden schrieb Kim Dahl:

Yes, I think the same.  I am Leica MD and Leica TL2 user and thinking now and I have to try SL2-S with the new zoom.  However, I wait a bit because I want to be sure that 24-70 is future-proof for the next generation or 2 of Leica camera.  This is a great way for Leica to gain new SL customers.  Maybe they should consider putting a set together with a prime?

Leica told me that the new 24-70 is good for around 100 MP - so no worry :)

I got mine just today - its a dream :))

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mine also arrived today!

First impressions:

• surprisingly handy, wunderful!
  • can't find CA & flare
  • "wrong" Zoom direction is a little bit annoying

That could be a perfect "work-around-lens" for SL users, great.

Some forst impressions: https://adobe.ly/3y2UeTC

Wonder about missing the small test certificate which comes with all other (german) lenses - but everything else looks like the previous SL lenses.

Good job for Leica (and Sigma)!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

This lens greatly increases the joy of the time after the pandemic; being able to be on the road again with it, a dream, a big dream

• Like 5

two more words:

1. the (full metal) lens hood is a dream
  2. MF-Mode: this new lens comes with "FW 2.0 for SL lenses", so we can adjust linear MF

Good news!

😀

f2,8, 41mm:

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, MediaFotografie said:

two more words:

1. the (full metal) lens hood is a dream
  2. MF-Mode: this new lens comes with "FW 2.0 for SL lenses", so we can adjust linear MF

Good news!

😀

f2,8, 41mm:

42 minutes ago, MediaFotografie said:

This lens greatly increases the joy of the time after the pandemic; being able to be on the road again with it, a dream, a big dream

Wow! Too tempting.. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, bags27 said:

It will be interesting to make direct IQ comparisons with the Sigma, which costs a bit more than 1/3 as much.

Outside the L system, the new Nikon 24-70 f/2.8, which costs 2/3 as much as the Leica, is getting extremely strong reviews. Is Nikon making the lens itself, or has it, too, outsourced to Sigma? The Ligma  is 19 elements in 15 groups while the Nikon is 20 elements in 16 groups. And some different types of glass. Still....

Nikon builds it themselves. On my tests of the Sigma 24-70 on my SL2-S vs the Nikon 24-70 on the Z6, Nikon was consistently and significantly better outside of dead center at all distances and apertures. But then it is also more expensive. I would rather save the money for a nice SL prime and go Sigma directly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Am 6.5.2021 um 17:10 schrieb Daniel C.1975:

Just checked: Price in Germany in a Leica Boutique is 2.250 Euro incl. VAT - that is still quite reasonable.

The juice will lay in comparisons with the Panasonic and the Sigma - overall (handling, build etc. pp.), not only optically. 

Have to correct my stated pricing: Meanwhile the price in the same Munich Leica-Online-Shop (and all other Leica stores in Germany) now is 2.550 Euro incl. VAT - so it has been increased by 300 Euro. I assume the initial pricing on their side was wrongly stated. 

• Like 1

vor 58 Minuten schrieb Daniel C.1975:

Have to correct my stated pricing: Meanwhile the price in the same Munich Leica-Online-Shop (and all other Leica stores in Germany) now is 2.550 Euro incl. VAT - so it has been increased by 300 Euro. I assume the initial pricing on their side was wrongly stated. 

exactly, the official price is 2.550 incl. VAT - but only 1.900 for the Kit including SL2s (or the original SL2)

1 hour ago, MediaFotografie said:

exactly, the official price is 2.550 incl. VAT - but only 1.900 for the Kit including SL2s (or the original SL2)

@MediaFotografie I posted the same questions to Jono... as you already own this lens can yu maybe answer to my thoughts:

I have few questions:

- does 24-70 exhibit Leica "microcontrast"?

- comparing to 24-90, which one is more suitable for family amateur photographer (kid portraits, indoor/outdoor events family events, small trips)?

- 24-90 was associated with this statement: "like prime lens quality". Did Sigma... ups... Leica😉 achived "like prime lens quality" and "microcontrast" also with this new 24-70 zoom lens?

Why I'm asking all this questions? As a former Fuji user I still "remember" how useful Fujinon 18-55 zoom was. When I jumped into Leica M system I "converted" to prime lenses photography. 24-70 zoom can be very useful for casual events. But for 2500 euro it is "just" ~2000 euro cheaper than APO Summicrons. As usual in life I'm thinking what is better, to own few good lenses or just one or two best in class lenses... I already own M-Cron 28 and M -Lux ASPH - 50... so I'm a little biased 😅

Edited by Cobram

vor 2 Stunden schrieb MediaFotografie:

Correct, but this does not help the early birds for the SL2-S or owners of the SL2 - for them it is 2.550 Euro ;)   

@Leica: How about a program for owners who bought their camera in the last 6 months - just asking :D

• Like 1

vor 8 Minuten schrieb Daniel C.1975:

Correct, but this does not help the early birds for the SL2-S or owners of the SL2 - for them it is 2.550 Euro ;)   

@Leica: How about a program for owners who bought their camera in the last 6 months - just asking :D

😃

I was one of the first users of SL 601 - and something about 18 month later, Leica drops the price! 1.000 $/€ - that's a lot;

but I wasn't very sad, because I had used a wonderful camera for more than a year.

• Like 2

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Cobram:

@MediaFotografie I posted the same questions to Jono... as you already own this lens can yu maybe answer to my thoughts:

I have few questions:

- does 24-70 exhibit Leica "microcontrast"?

- comparing to 24-90, which one is more suitable for family amateur photographer (kid portraits, indoor/outdoor events family events, small trips)?

- 24-90 was associated with this statement: "like prime lens quality". Did Sigma... ups... Leica😉 achived "like prime lens quality" and "microcontrast" also with this new 24-70 zoom lens?

Why I'm asking all this questions? As a former Fuji user I still "remember" how useful Fujinon 18-55 zoom was. When I jumped into Leica M system I "converted" to prime lenses photography. 24-70 zoom can be very useful for casual events. But for 2500 euro it is "just" ~2000 euro cheaper than APO Summicrons. As usual in life I'm thinking what is better, to own few good lenses or just one or two best in class lenses... I already own M-Cron 28 and M -Lux ASPH - 50... so I'm a little biased 😅

@Cobram very good questions! But sorry, I need a little bit more time to give an answer - a lot to work and very bad weather.

Both Zooms are below the Apo-Summicrons, esp. the SL35, "the best of the best" (Peter Karbe); what I expect is a walk-around-lens, and I think the new 24-70 is a good compromise between wight/size & quality, better than 24-90

Edited by MediaFotografie
  • Thanks 1