Jump to content

Jono's Review: Leica Vario Elmarit SL 24-70 f2.8 ASPH


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here it is, Leica have just announced the new Vario Elmarit SL 24-70 f2.8 ASPH for L mount cameras. It's smaller and 300gm lighter than the 24-90, has a constant f2.8 aperture and is only a little bit more than half the price of it's bigger sibling. Even cheaper if you buy it as a kit with the SL2 or SL2S. Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden! Hello guest! Please register

Hi guys, sorry to hijack Jono's thread but since I do have both the Sigma and Leica lenses with me right now I might share some insights after shooting with both side by side in my living room: The Sigma is a tad sharper wide open in the center, the Leica is sharper in the corners...again only a tad and differences are only visible when zooming in (like 200%). The more you close down the aperture the sharper the Leica gets overall.  On my SL2-S the Leica seem to be metered a bi

Hi,    yes, I agree that 2.8 is beside other topics, also a marketing topic. That lesser and lesser optics are parfocal is something which also stills-photographer do not like, but it's not such a big deal for them.    With all the whining about this only being a re-badged and therefore too expensive solution, it's in the end all about choices (so for me positive). First, there is now a Leica "entry-zoom" people can buy in the the kit or as an extra to have one affordabl

Posted Images

Thanks, Jono.  I assume that, like the 24-90, it telescopes when zooming rather than internally.  It’s the one thing I don’t like with the 24-90 compared to the 90-280, which also seems the best optically IMO, but huge.  Trade offs.

Also, can you tell us how it differs from its ‘sister’ L mount zooms?

Jeff

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Thanks, Jono.  I assume that, like the 24-90, it telescopes when zooming rather than internally.  It’s the one thing I don’t like with the 24-90 compared to the 90-280, which also seems the best optically IMO, but huge.  Trade offs.

Also, can you tell us how it differs from its ‘sister’ L mount zooms?

Jeff

Hi There Jeff

It does telescope like the 24-90 (it seems to me that most mid range zooms do - and most telephoto lenses don't). The build quality and feel is entirely consistent with the other L mount zooms - with the slight irritation of the zoom ring zooming in the opposite direction!

best

Jono

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, jonoslack said:

Hi There Jeff

It does telescope like the 24-90 (it seems to me that most mid range zooms do - and most telephoto lenses don't). The build quality and feel is entirely consistent with the other L mount zooms - with the slight irritation of the zoom ring zooming in the opposite direction!

best

Jono

I meant compared to the Sigma.

I don’t own the SL 16-35, but I think it also doesn’t telescope when zooming.  

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

I meant compared to the Sigma.

I don’t own the SL 16-35, but I think it also doesn’t telescope when zooming.  

Jeff

Sorry Jeff

I didn't compare it with the Sigma - or the Panasonic, and I can't remember whether the 16-35 telescopes either!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Maybe I am the one who misses the point but this lens seems like an odd choice. A Japanese-made lens for those who absolutely don't want to buy a perfectly capable Sigma or Panasonic lens for their SL?

Leica is the only manufacturer who really owns the variable aperture philosophy. Historically it may have been  a sign of cheap lenses and cheap design, and probably from that the impression that "variable aperture means bad image quality", a total falsehood!, conveyed through the new millenium. Leica has been largely alone busting that myth but people just won't believe.

Indeed, there can  be mild nuisances involved with variable aperture zooms but metering still works just as well as the other mirrorless cameras. The lenses after all communicate their real aperture to the camera bodies these days, not like the film days at all. And if you happen to be a manual meterer like myself, Leica alone offers a wonderful little trick called "floating ISO" that compensates for the stop's difference across the zoom range.

Edited by mike3996
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, mike3996 said:

Maybe I am the one who misses the point but this lens seems like an odd choice. A Japanese-made lens for those who absolutely don't want to buy a perfectly capable Sigma or Panasonic lens for their SL?

Leica is the only manufacturer who really owns the variable aperture philosophy. Historically it may have been  a sign of cheap lenses and cheap design, and probably from that the impression that "variable aperture means bad image quality", a total falsehood!, conveyed through the new millenium. Leica has been largely alone busting that myth but people just won't believe.

Indeed, there can  be mild nuisances involved with variable aperture zooms but metering still works just as well as the other mirrorless cameras. The lenses after all communicate their real aperture to the camera bodies these days, not like the film days at all. And if you happen to be a manual meterer like myself, Leica alone offers a wonderful little trick called "floating ISO" that compensates for the stop's difference across the zoom range.

Hi Mike

I think variable aperture is still an issue for videographers - but I quite agree with you in terms of stills photography - a pre-digital problem (if it was ever one) (and isn't floating ISO brilliant). 

But I don't think this is a strange choice - first of all it is pandering to those who still really do want constant aperture zooms, but on a larger scale it's testing the water - there really is a need for lots more lenses (telephotos and ultra-wides particularly) for the L system - Sigma and Panasonic are addressing it, but Leica would be hard put to cover all the bases quickly, so why not make some in Japan?

All the best

Link to post
Share on other sites
vor 5 Minuten schrieb ajayk:

It seems to be Panasonic 24-70 l mount that has been rebadged as Leica

Nope, it is the Sigma 24-70 Art which has been rebadged. The Panasonic would have the zoom turning into the right direction. 

The Sigma is a great lens, but I kind of struggle to pay much more for the Leica mainly for cosmetics. 

I am curious to see comparisons between the Sigma and the Leica, if there is some secret sauce in the Leica. 

 

From a pure aesthetic point of view, the Leica looks quite nice. 

 

@Jono: Thanks for your as always great and thorough review

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jonoslack said:

...and I can't remember whether the 16-35 telescopes either!

I checked...It does not, just like the 90-280.  Only the 24-90 from the original trio telescopes, which makes it bigger, less balanced, and probably not quite as robust in terms of weather sealing. I’d pay more for the more elegant design of the other two.

Jeff

Link to post
Share on other sites

Leica has made a sound decision on releasing this lens.  I recently purchased an SL2-S and a 24-90 and I would make the same decision again as i like the longer zoom range.  That said, I would love to purchase a 24-70 hood to put on the 24-90 if they are ever available as replacements.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, rsh said:

Leica has made a sound decision on releasing this lens.  I recently purchased an SL2-S and a 24-90 and I would make the same decision again as i like the longer zoom range.  That said, I would love to purchase a 24-70 hood to put on the 24-90 if they are ever available as replacements.

I was thinking that as well!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks you again Jono for another excellent review.

I can't help but think that this reviews shows in many ways how close the Japanese manufactures have got with the top of the line lenses v Leica; as a re-badged Sigma it sort of showed how close this lens is to the 24-90, however, I still prefer the Leica 24-90 to the Sigma but the one thing that did catch my eye is the lens hood which I might well buy if possible. Sort of ironic really!!!

If I were buying my SL2 and SL2-S again today though I'd certainly buy the kit and in that form it's a very attractive price for a Leica body and lens.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Enjoyed the review, I think the price point for this lens is good ok specially when you look at other manufacturers ie Canon RF & Nikon Z mounts are similar price points plus the bundle price of a SL2 - SL2 S (24-70) is also good bit of course not if you already own either of these bodies lol. My fingers are crossed they bring out a 70-200 F2.8 and or F4 Made in Japan 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The 24-90 hood was great when you could lay your SL sideways on a table, released from your hand strap, balanced exactly on the hood and camera. Now that the strap lugs protrude on the SL2 you wouldn't do that on your best french polished table.

Edited by LocalHero1953
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, rsh said:

That said, I would love to purchase a 24-70 hood to put on the 24-90 if they are ever available as replacements.

The cheaper plastic one is already $200.  😳  Mine generally stays home or in the bag, except in the rain. 

Jeff

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...