Of all the film M cameras you own...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Since I bought my first Leica, an M9 in 2010, I’ve dabbled in Sony, back into Nikon, back into Hasselblad, and diverted into the MP, M3, TL and SL, but I keep coming back to the M camera.  Similarly tried video, telephotos, zooms and other things, and keep coming back to the M camera.

No AF, good for 28-75 (I do have a 21 and a 135, but 28-75 is the best range for the optical viewfinder), simple focusing, centre weighted metering … perfect.  Choosing between a monochromatic digital, a screenless colour digital and a meterless film camera, not so easy, and something I hope I never have to do!

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 2

I've had a M3 and M2 before, and I've now just bought a silver chrome M4 from a forum member (his M3 is still in the classifieds). I won't get my hands on it till October (when I pick it up from the safe house it was sent to in the EU, to avoid duties) so I can't yet say which would be my favourite. But l got my M3 in the 80s when I was seduced by an advert for the M4-2, but couldn't afford it - so the omens are good for the M4. I preferred the 35mm focal length and disliked the double wind, so ended up with a M2, which was eventually sold to pay for a M9.

For many years l liked the Pentax MX almost as much as the M2 but it just wasn't as durable, though immensely usable in the hand. Another favourite was a battered Rolleiflex T, but that died of fungus.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

I started using and owning Leica's in the early 1990's. The M 6TTL was my first M. Down the road I picked up an M 7 and enjoyed using them both. One or the other traveled with me to Germany several times. Okay, Austria and Italy too. I remember the day I took a bus trip to King Ludwig's Disney. castle. It had been raining on and off so I was glad to take the tour bus. Like any tourist I walked around the area and marveled at the castle. I think I shot two rolls of E-6 that day using the M 7. Being overcast I was relying on the 7's meter more than ever. Slide film as we know is terribly unforgiving. On the way back to Munich we stopped at town that is known for its Christmas festival. I walked around in the dusk shooting the town , the only light sources primarily from shop windows. My M 7 with my Leica 35 f2 asph, again did not let me down. Venice at night was a challenge as there is little to none lighting in the side streets. I leaned against a lot of posts and buildings for support. As I type this I can look at  the M 7 and remember back to the early and mid 2000's and those visits.

• Like 5

I would choose M5. I really love this camera.

- uncluttered 50mm frame line with metering circle

- fast and easy film loading

- large and fast rewind crank

- good ergonomics due to bigger size

- shutter speeds visible in the finder

- true spot metering

- last Leica produced at Wetzlar, to a very high standards

Advertisement (gone after registration)

At first I picked M5, but after giving it some more thought I came to a conclusion it's impossible to say. Each are so great. I've been lucky to been able to try M2, M3, M4-2, M5 and M6 classic. I have early serial number M4-2 and it's a great camera also, it feels really great to operate - very solid and it has a great viewfinder. As it's one of those early M4-2s that was ever manufactured it has the exact same viewfinder as the M4 has. I would have no problems using just this one camera, it really is so good.

• Like 1

I bought my MP new in 2006.  It always seems to tag along with me when I go away or out for a walk and it's reached the status of an Old Friend to me now.  Never had any serious thoughts of buying an older film M, I'd rather put the money into expanding my M lens options, which happens very infrequently.   

I wouldn't rule out buying a new MA at some point, I just don't 'need' one.  

45 minutes ago, wizard said:

What about the current MP and MA models? They are said to be made in Wetzlar, too.

I thought they were made in Portugal.

edit: Here's the source: http://www.fdtimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/80FDTimes-LEICA-PortugalFactoryTour.pdf

and on page 17...

Leica Portugal continues the tradition of crafting analog Leica cameras: M7, M-P and M-A.

Edited by ianman
  • Thanks 1

vor 58 Minuten schrieb ianman:

I thought they were made in Portugal.

From what I know Leica produces (and has produced for quite some time) components for the analogue M models in their factory in Portugal, but the final assembly takes place in Wetzlar (previously in Solms), justifying the "Wetzlar" script on the top of the body. I have not checked, but believe the bodies say "Made in Germany", too.

• Like 1

Well yes, that's written in the text of the article. What "final assembly" means is anyones guess but the photo at the bottom right of that same page shows an M-A which seems to be at a quite advanced stage of assembly. But these cameras are not "made in Wetzlar/Germany" by any stretch of the imagination.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, wizard said:

What about the current MP and MA models? They are said to be made in Wetzlar, too.

The battery blanking plug is inserted in M-A's and taken out again for MP's in Wetzlar.  Then they stamp Made in Germany on the body and blame the Portuguese for everything else.  It's got something to do with reducing the carbon footprint. :)

• Haha 3

On 9/14/2021 at 11:13 AM, ppkarppi said:

At first I picked M5, but after giving it some more thought I came to a conclusion it's impossible to say. Each are so great. I've been lucky to been able to try M2, M3, M4-2, M5 and M6 classic. I have early serial number M4-2 and it's a great camera also, it feels really great to operate - very solid and it has a great viewfinder. As it's one of those early M4-2s that was ever manufactured it has the exact same viewfinder as the M4 has. I would have no problems using just this one camera, it really is so good.

I am aware that the M4-2 is an underdog, but let me tell you, based on my personal experience with this camera - it is a great camera, feels very well built - very solid, has been a very reliable workhorse, and I would pick it over M6 classic that I also have. My M4-2 was probably the number 200 ever manufactured based on the serial number, and as said it has M4 viewfinder that has a condenser and it does not suffer the rangefinder patch flare problem of later M's. My M6 (M6HM with .85 magnification) has a big rangefinder patch flare problem, the framelines are also sometimes very hard to see and I don't want to use it much because of that.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ppkarppi said:

I am aware that the M4-2 is an underdog, but let me tell you, based on my personal experience with this camera - it is a great camera, feels very well built - very solid, has been a very reliable workhorse, and I would pick it over M6 classic that I also have. My M4-2 was probably the number 200 ever manufactured based on the serial number, and as said it has M4 viewfinder that has a condenser and it does not suffer the rangefinder patch flare problem of later M's. My M6 (M6HM with .85 magnification) has a big rangefinder patch flare problem, the framelines are also sometimes very hard to see and I don't want to use it much because of that.

same in French

@ppkarppi

Do you have one of those M4-2 with red dot ?

21 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

same in French

@ppkarppi

Do you have one of those M4-2 with red dot ?

No, it does not have the red dot, but it has "Leitz Wetzlar" and "Made in Canada" written on top _and_ it also has black lugs, so it seems to be very unique M4-2. Exactly the same as the M4-2 with the red dot except this one is missing the red dot. Here's a picture of my M4-2 that I just took with my iPhone:

Edited by ppkarppi
  • Like 3

Anyway, I used (still have one) some M4-2 for long time mainly for the winder that I needed (or thinking as such).

They are very well made with touch of traditional smoothness yet robust feeling in use.

The one I keep, a backup M almost new, never needing returning to be adjusted/repaired, just checked now with a magnifier, the wax sealing 'C' is always there.

Incredible M4-2 a bit younger than yours with #1 502 221 😉.

• Like 2

Yeah! And btw, have you seen the M4-2 instruction manual? The official Leica M4-2 instruction manual states that “Illustrations of the M4-2 in this booklet are taken from a prototype model. The Leitz circular logo on the front of the M4-2 body housing does not appear on production models”.

Edit: here's a capture of that (page 2 of the manual):

Edited by ppkarppi