Of all the film M cameras you own...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I guess it would have to be the M6, I've owned it the longest and the built in meter has worked really well for my shooting style. But I do enjoy using my M2 and also my recently acquired M4 which I've only run one film through so far. I don't intend on selling any of them, film is alive and well!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

Lucky you have so many choices. 

I use SWC and Kodak Retina IIIc. I shoot 35mm panorama on SWC besides 6x6. Its 38mm lens happen to be the right focal length with 35mm film except it offers horizontal panorama (shoot rotated). Kodak retina IIIc is 50mm f2. Not Leica optical but definitely has its own charms. A little heavy though but OK.  

• Like 1

On 5/6/2021 at 2:22 PM, Reini said:

I prefer the M4-P for all bright lines.
But because it is not as valuable as the M3 or M2,
it is reliable and was fully serviced by Leica 2 years ago.
And I like the look. ☺️

What @Reini said.

I have just one film M at present, an M4-P black chrome.  I kept it and sold off my film MP 0.72 because the M4-P was more reliable.

The MP 0.72 black paint was a beauty, though. 

Even before getting into Leicas (or even seeing one in person) I had read everything I could online about different models, and it seemed pretty obvious that the M7 was the one to get. A meterless 35mm camera of any brand never made any sense to me, and out of M5/M6/M7/MP the M7 seemed clearly superior due to young age, the AP-mode and the proper shutter dial.

But once I actually started buying/using/selling Leicas, I became convinced that yes indeed, the M7 is the king of the hill by a huge margin. Doesn't matter what you start with, an M7 is the ultimate upgrade.

Edited by Steven Seven
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, Steven Seven said:

Even before getting into Leicas (or even seeing one in person) I had read everything I could online about different models, and it seemed pretty obvious that the M7 was the one to get. A meterless 35mm camera of any brand never made any sense to me, and out of M5/M6/M7/MP the M7 seemed clearly superior due to young age, the AP-mode and the proper shutter dial.

But once I actually started buying/using/selling Leicas, I became convinced that yes indeed, the M7 is the king of the hill by a huge margin. Doesn't matter what you start with, an M7 is the ultimate upgrade.

I can't comment on your choice, never had myself Leica M7.

Happily, we are all different.

Before that  I used automated camera which accept M lenses, Minolta CLE and Konica Hexar RF.

In my long use, they are great but as results in my Kodachrome days and relying on the 'A' settings, I never had with other Leica M so many 'faulty exposure",

so I've never been attempted by Leica M7, even if I have/use MDa to M6.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2021 at 9:01 AM, andym91 said:

Depending on the day of the week, what I had for dinner, which wine did I drink etc. etc. I sometimes think this one or that one!

I feel the same. 

If I had to keep only one from yours, it would be the M6 for the metering capabilities. 

If I had to keep only one from mines, it would be the MP3 BP, because it's a holy grail. 

On 6/26/2021 at 9:12 AM, Steven Seven said:

I must agree. The M7 is the most convenient and enjoyable film M I've used. The reason why I would keep an MP instead of an M7 is for durability. Too much electronics that's not repairable in the long term in the M7..

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Steven said:

I must agree. The M7 is the most convenient and enjoyable film M I've used. The reason why I would keep an MP instead of an M7 is for durability. Too much electronics that's not repairable in the long term in the M7..

The M7 is still repairable by Leica at the moment. A large amount of doom and gloom is spouted  about the electrics of the M7 but it is a very durable camera. It is probable that far more trouble is experienced with the digital Ms than on the M7. I bought mine, s/h, in 2008 (a 2001 model) and it is still going strong. I too treasure my MP3, which I bought new. but my M7 gets far more use.

36 minutes ago, Matlock said:

The M7 is still repairable by Leica at the moment. A large amount of doom and gloom is spouted  about the electrics of the M7 but it is a very durable camera. It is probable that far more trouble is experienced with the digital Ms than on the M7. I bought mine, s/h, in 2008 (a 2001 model) and it is still going strong. I too treasure my MP3, which I bought new. but my M7 gets far more use.

My three M7 often have issues. It's actually in CLA right now. And what I meant is that in 30 years they might not be repairable. The MP should still be fine. In the meantime, ill keep using my M7 till it dies. 

Tell me about your MP3! BP ? 

I got mine this morning. It's been just two hours ! 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Steven said:

And what I meant is that in 30 years they might not be repairable. The MP should still be fine.

You see this argument being constantly thrown around, and every time I grinch. I got my M7 to use it now, who gives a rats behind if something will work in thirty years or not :) 

And I realize you have an M7, I am ridiculing this overall argument here.

Oh, and yes, of all film M´s, it is the M7, no contest. 

4 hours ago, Steven said:

My three M7 often have issues. It's actually in CLA right now. And what I meant is that in 30 years they might not be repairable. The MP should still be fine. In the meantime, ill keep using my M7 till it dies. 

Tell me about your MP3! BP ? 

I got mine this morning. It's been just two hours ! 

No my MP3 is silver chrome, which I prefer. I bought it new from Ffordes in 2008. To my mind Black Paint looks better on screw mount Leicas but we are all different. In fact my favourite finish is my IIIc K in Grey Paint.

6 hours ago, jukka said:

You see this argument being constantly thrown around, and every time I grinch. I got my M7 to use it now, who gives a rats behind if something will work in thirty years or not :) 

And I realize you have an M7, I am ridiculing this overall argument here.

Oh, and yes, of all film M´s, it is the M7, no contest. 

The question is "which camera will you keep if you can only keep one". My answer is: "the one that will always take pictures". I am 34 years old, I hope to take photos for at least another 66 years. 

If the question was "which camera would keep if you could only have one for the rest of the week", my answer would have been the M7. Although I can easily understand people who chose another model. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AndreasG said:

I would keep my first M Leica, a M4-P with Leicameter, which I bought used in 1985.

It wouldn’t turn out to be the Olive green Israeil tank division M4-P, by any chance ? Been trying to locate one of these everywhere. 

11 hours ago, Steven said:

I am 34 years old, I hope to take photos for at least another 66 years. 

I'm only a little older than you, but it seems our understanding of time is different. My M7 was recently overhauled by Wetzlar, so I give it twenty to thirty years of operating time without issues. For me, the priority during this twenty to thirty years is to be able to fully enjoy the process of taking photos. This includes the camera staying as best out of my way, which the M7 does brilliantly compared to any other film M body.

Now, in my view, that's a rather long time. I wouldn't make compromises based on random assumptions on what is going to happen after that twenty to thirty years. A bus might run over me next Monday, or in ten years the world might come to an end – who knows. 

What I am saying here is that this argument of 66 years is based on non-rational nostalgic thinking. But then again, so is the present-day marketing strategy of Leica regarding its current lineup of film bodies. 

Another funny argument you often hear made against the M7 is the dependency on batteries. Here, the – often non-professional – film shooting folk see no problem lugging around bags full of film canisters. They do, however, take issue with the inclusion of also minuscule spare batteries to their camera bags, in the odd case once a year the M7 needs battery replacement.

So, all in all, whether for the next week or for the foreseeable future, my one film M choice remains the M7 – in the industrial matte black chrome finish, I might add, which I find more aesthetically pleasing than the nostalgic black paint :)

Edited by jukka
  • Like 1