Of all the film M cameras you own...

I have only got two, and I don’t think I could ever let either of them go.

I have an M3, which is the iconic M camera and superb with a 50mm lens.  My M6 is for when I want the convenience of metering or to use a 35mm lens.  It is also more discreet in black chrome.

I have two MPs, one black one chrome, thinking of selling one at some point as I am not using film as much as I used to and it is getting really expensive if you don't develop (which I don't have time to do)

over the last 3-4 years I have sold my Canon film body, my Mamiya 6, Voigtlander Bessa III and my M6

Edited by Fedro

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm fortunate to own an M2, an M4, and an M5.

The M2 is the quietest and smoothest of the three, and there is a kind of 'looseness' in the feeling of the controls, especially the film advance. It has the best viewfinder framelines.

The M4 feels tight and precise and good. It's in black chrome, and looks sensational. The shutter sounds somewhat metallic on my copy, and is louder than that of the M2.

The M5 is great in the hand, and feels more intuitive, less fiddly, especially when it comes to well thought out features such as the shutter speed dial, and the rewind crank.

In short, I've tried, but simply cannot pick a favourite. They're all superb picture-making tools. I suppose it's because they're all very similar. Alan Starkey, of Camera Works UK, repaired my M5 when the battery contact broke off. He said that to a large degree the M5 is simply -  and I'm quoting him here -  'an M4 in a fat suit', which I thought was a great description. And he's absolutely right. When you take the base plate off the M5 and look inside, it's identical to the M4. You can even swap the back doors, they fit perfectly. 

Edited by colint544
  • Like 1

Out of topic ...funny thing.

Swapping M's back doors is my favorite pastime 😉.

Some years ago, out of curiosity, M5's with the last M, more than forty years later model ...M-A.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

even the vulcanite/leatherette can be "continous acceptable grain"

• Like 4

Ok. More votes for the M2.

Probably the first one I got.

perhaps not the second one

but I like the third one, the button rewind.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, andym91 said:

Fascinating replies 👍

M4 and MP seem to be leading the pack.

I expected more M2/3/7 to be honest

well the question you asked is about cameras owned. Give me a choice and I'd go for an BP M2 (anyone know of a mint one that's not being used? ;) ) or a BP M4. But I'm stuck with my crappy MP :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Like a lot of us here, I have owned a gaggle of Leica M film bodies since I started the fetish back in 1974 with a Leica CL which was quickly followed by a Leica M3 two years later when I had a job which produced a bit of income.  I have never been able to decide which is my favorite either the M2 or M4.  The viewfinder on the M2 is my favorite of all Leica rangefinders but I prefer the more modern features like film loading and rewind of the M4.  

I think its great that we do not have to restrict ourselves to one.  Presently I own both a button rewind M2 and a 50th anniversary M4 so if I could only have one I think it would be decided by a coin toss!

I've owned M2, M4-P M6 Classic and MP. I still have the M2 and MP and if pushed the MP and 35mm Summicron would be my choice.

• Like 6

Over the last couple decades, I've used about every film that was made - M6, M6ttl, MP, M7, M4, M5, M3, M2.  In that order of user experience.  For a variety of reasons, I've really gravitated to the 35mm focal length for a film rangefinder, exclusively, and tend to favor the older Leica's because the frame lines are more accurate at the distances I typically shoot.  Anyway, M2 is the one I shoot now.  Have several, each with a different 35mm lens.  Ha, ha, slowly over time, I'm getting rid of everything else.  It works for me.

• 1 month later...
On 5/5/2021 at 5:01 PM, andym91 said:

I guess I'm not alone in owning a few M bodies.

Depending on the moment I use most of them regularly and each one 'feels' different and I switch from one to the other and find joy using each one.

I often think about, if I could only keep one, which would it be?

My M2,M3,M4 BP, M6 or M7.

Depending on the day of the week, what I had for dinner, which wine did I drink etc. etc. I sometimes think this one or that one!

But, after wrangling with myself I have come to the conclusion (today 😊) that it would have to be the M4.

Its obviously very hypothetical and an emotional thing but at the end of the day the M4 is the pinnacle of the M film cameras for me.

Can't bear to imagine having to actually make that choice, but if I did then I believe that's the way I would go. 

Anyone else thought this through?

best

Andy 

Of all the film M cameras I own .... 

M4 Black Paint With 50 Summilux

Of all the film cameras I own ....

My choices are *in no particular order:

Rolleiflex 2.8E

Hasselblad Super Wide C

Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta III

M4 Black Paint + 50 Lux

M6 Black + 35 Asph

(New) M2 with 50 Cron DR or 35 Cron V3

I couldn't possibly pick between my two, so I refuse to play :)

—Peter.

• Like 2