Of all the film M cameras you own...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I guess I'm not alone in owning a few M bodies.

Depending on the moment I use most of them regularly and each one 'feels' different and I switch from one to the other and find joy using each one.

I often think about, if I could only keep one, which would it be?

My M2,M3,M4 BP, M6 or M7.

Depending on the day of the week, what I had for dinner, which wine did I drink etc. etc. I sometimes think this one or that one!

But, after wrangling with myself I have come to the conclusion (today 😊) that it would have to be the M4.

Its obviously very hypothetical and an emotional thing but at the end of the day the M4 is the pinnacle of the M film cameras for me.

Can't bear to imagine having to actually make that choice, but if I did then I believe that's the way I would go. 

Anyone else thought this through?

best

Andy 

• Like 2

Me too,

M4

my first Leica would be also my last (not the same camera though)

the very first M4 traded for more 'advanced' M long time ago

if ...

- I had to do that, as nowaday I don't

- if film still available and I have choices

- if I managed to repair my two (or three remaining M4) before taking the jump

- in the end, each M would do ... or each film camera anyway (SLR or RF, CLE, etc.)

Edited by a.noctilux

It's just me - I went through all the Leica film cameras. I started with a IIIF w/50 summitar. Then many different M's  - If I only had/kept one it would be an M-5  (three lug)- that's the one. Again just me.

Edited by OR120
sp
  • Like 4

I'd agree with a chrome M4. I bought mine in 1968 and it's still my favorite, although at times I take my M5 or M6. While my M2 & 3s have a more classic vibe, I prefer the M4 style wind and rewind in use.

I always wanted a M4 but it never seemed to happen. I’ve owned a CL, M2, M6, M6 TTL and a M6 TTL Millennium plus a handful of Barnacks. Two years ago, I finally bought the M4,  an early production camera from the second run in 1967 so it has the solid brass rewind knob. After a lifetime of buying and using countless cameras I’m down to the M4, a Retina IIa , a Sony A7II that hasn’t left the copy stand I couldn’t be happier.

Edited by madNbad
  • Like 1

I have a few film cameras. Retina IIIc - fantastic little camera, Canon EOS1n-RS, Nikon F2SB, Mamiya 6 full kit and Leica M4-P silver.

I started off with an M4-P in high school and have used many models, M2, M3, M4, M6, and M7, but I really like my current M4-P silver.

I think that I would like to have an MP someday, but for now, these film cameras work for me.

Joel

I own a mint original M2 BP with a Mint Leicavit BP.

I’m debating wether I start using it until I die, or do I continue using and brassing my other Eight Leica BP cameras that I all own since new (and which are all finely brassed). Yes, I’m a hardcode shooter and printer.

My choice would be M3 BP until deatg, but then again here I am owning the finest M2 BP one can wish for and I’m not using it. Very weird.

Edited by Capuccino-Muffin