M240 6-bit coding question

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone

I've been enjoying these forums for a while now and this is my first post.  I have a very specific question that I'm hoping the assembled wisdom can help me with.

I use a M240 with two 6-bit coded lenses (35 and 75).  I'm now looking to round out my kit with a 21mm elmarit, which will not be 6 bit coded.

On the M10, I read that when you mount a non-coded lens, it defaults to the last lens setting manually entered.  This would work great in my situation where only one of my lenses would not be coded (I'd only ever need to enter the settings once).  However, after extensive searching, I cannot find out if this is also the case with the M240. 

The easy solution would be for me to test it myself,  but I've just entered quarantine for the next 2 weeks so I cannot do that (and I don't want to lose the great deal that I've found on the 21mm elmarit and finder).  

If anyone could advise, I would be really greatful. Thank-you.

Hi,

AFAIK no, the 240 will just default to ‘uncoded lens’ when confronted with an uncoded lens (and iirc the reverse is true too, a manually selected lens overrides a coded one)

I’ve coded all my non-coded lenses with a permanent marker (sharpie), sometimes this has taken a couple of goes to get right or has needed redoing after about a year, but the upside is that I just leave the camera on auto detect.

• Like 1

Welcome here Masukami.

As Adam wrote, M240 not same behavior as M10.

In your place, I would have the Elmarit-M 21mm coded ( or sharpie-coded * as Adam's if that works for you ):

- the wide angle lens benefits from coding for corrections in most cases

- M240 is very sensible for corner weird colors in my experiences with non-coded lenses from 28mm and under

- as you own two coded lenses not to worry about entering manual set lens choice

* only one black "bit" as 000001 if non-asph 2.8/21mm

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

If I am not mistaken the 21 Elmarit does not have a depression to receive paint like the newer Voigtlanders. Any paint or sharpie mark you apply will just rub off over time. If you are willing to experiment, you can get a 6 bit coding flange on ebay and replace.  See this link https://lavidaleica.com/content/converting-coded-m-lens-mount

Also here https://www.ebay.com/itm/143910034739?hash=item2181b4dd33:g:CRkAAOSwRQlXfYEQ

• Like 1

Thank you all for your fast and detailed responses - very helpful and very much appreciated.

Of course, deep down I really want the 21mm super-elmar... my heart says 'yes' but my bank account says 'no'!  So I'm going to stick with the Elmarit and try the sharpie method first and if that doesn't work I'll buy a coding flange and do it myself.

Thanks again all for your help.

I've successfully 6-bit coded 2 Leica lenses (an old 50mm summicron and a 90mm Elmarit M) using coding flanges from eBay on an M240 with no problems at all. I used white and black matt paint both times, applied with a cocktail stick carefully into the blank depressions on the flange. I sold a 6-bit coded 21mm Elmarit M a little while ago. They are great lenses.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Or you can just manually encode the lens into the camera from the built-in firmware list and your best guess as approximately close to the lens that you have bought.  I use this technique for Pentax, Canon, Jupiter and Voigtänder.  I just select what is the closest to my lens and set the camera for that.  I have not checked, because I did not know, the available codeable flanges.  That is a nice option.

Jumped onto eBay and ordered the coded flanges for my lenses.  I'll code them to the closest lens in the list in the camera firmware.  Thanks for the heads-up on this.  I forget to do the manual entry most of the time so this is a real help.

Edited by boojum

On 5/12/2021 at 2:37 PM, PhoToad said:

In my M-P 240, I have just prepared a user profile for my 35-mm non-coded Voigtaender lens after having selected an appropriate Leica lens from the embedded lens list.

Same for my Summilux 35/1.4 v2. Fast and easy.

I just manually select the code from the best match for my  non 6 bit lenses,easy with leica lenses because you can select the exact lens from the menu selection.

With voigtlander/zeiss lenses i read reviews and check if the code selection is what you would assume it to be.

I own one modern design lens ,the voigtlander 21mm f1.4 asph but there is no obvious code for it in the menu of my m262 so i code it as a 21mm f2.8 elmarit asph and hope its a good selection?

1 hour ago, steve 1959 said:

I just manually select the code from the best match for my  non 6 bit lenses,easy with leica lenses because you can select the exact lens from the menu selection.

With voigtlander/zeiss lenses i read reviews and check if the code selection is what you would assume it to be.

I own one modern design lens ,the voigtlander 21mm f1.4 asph but there is no obvious code for it in the menu of my m262 so i code it as a 21mm f2.8 elmarit asph and hope its a good selection?

As good as any.

8 hours ago, steve 1959 said:

I own Skopar 21/4. Are you happy with 21 Nokton? Any insight? Thinking to upgrade the Skopar but as I rarely use my Skopar at apertures below F8 I'm still in doubts...

3 hours ago, Cobram said:

I own Skopar 21/4. Are you happy with 21 Nokton? Any insight? Thinking to upgrade the Skopar but as I rarely use my Skopar at apertures below F8 I'm still in doubts...

I almost always use the nokton on a tripod and i need the speed because part of my photography involves night harbour or illuminated bridges etc.

It is an easy lens to hand hold and it appears to be very well made but obviously its big but so is the leica equivalent.

Pretty certain it out performs the skopar technically but is much larger.

I have no experience with the CV 21/1.4 but i have several 21mm lenses including CV 21/3.5 and CV 21/4. The 21/4 is among the sharper at f/8 and on and it shows less CA than the 21/3.5. It tends to produce red edges on the M240 though so it is not a lens i would advise on that body.