Re-Flocking a Slip-On Lens Cap?

Danner

9 hours ago, robert_parker said:

Gentlemen, 

Please accept my sincere apologies - in a climate where sometimes a genuine 'newbie' question can be greeted with a certain insouciance, or a 'go see  for yourself' response with a link, I've mis-read your intentions (maybe a little more explanation would've helped..) - just promise me that this really is a serious answer and Hungarian Yak Felt was indeed what was used by 1950's German camera makers and really isn't what I got all over my shoes when shooting under the bridges in Budapest...😲

...That took ages to wash off in the shower at the Four Seasons.... 🛕🏃‍♂️💨

No. Not yak felt. My post above where I answered the OP with a flocking material.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Danner said:

Thanks!  Maybe three little strips of that stuff spaced 120º apart would add just enough material to snug things up.

There is another source:

https://www.findtape.com/JVCC-FLOCK-1-Flocking-Tape/p842/?vid=9095&bc=F&c=US&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_MHRvqOx8AIVrh-tBh2cJgulEAYYASABEgKVx_D_BwE

• Like 1

Not Leica exact replacements, but over the years they have worked fine for me. Sticky backed felt...different thicknesses available at most hobby or fabric shops in sheet form. Available in a variety of colors, usually crimson, forest green and black. Cost $1-2 for a foot square sheet, sometimes smaller or packaged with a combination of colors..

• Like 2

I've often "revived" lens-cap felt - at least for a time - by just brushing it with a small, stiff brush (e.g. firm toothbrush). That can separate and "unstick" the matted, compressed hairs and cause them to stand upright again |||||||||||||, thereby regaining their grip.

That was with more recent felt (black or red), from 1970s-80s 42mm metal slip-on caps for E39 lenses: 135 and 90 TEs, 50 and 35mm Summicrons. I don't know if "yak felt" will respond the same way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, adan said:

I've often "revived" lens-cap felt - at least for a time - by just brushing it with a small, stiff brush (e.g. firm toothbrush). That can separate and "unstick" the matted, compressed hairs and cause them to stand upright again |||||||||||||, thereby regaining their grip.

That was with more recent felt (black or red), from 1970s-80s 42mm metal slip-on caps for E39 lenses: 135 and 90 TEs, 50 and 35mm Summicrons. I don't know if "yak felt" will respond the same way.

Actually did this today, and your toothbrush technique definitely snugged it up.  Seems good enough for now ...

Very nice [beerclink]

Advertisement (gone after registration)

12 hours ago, adan said:

Been doing this for years, usually works just fine