Jump to content

Re-Flocking a Slip-On Lens Cap?


Recommended Posts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My 1953 Summitar has the original slip-on cap, but is has diminished grip, given the thousands of times it has been mounted/dismounted over the decades.

Does anybody have experience re-flocking the interior to renew the grip?  Anybody offer this service?

Thank you for your thoughts...

- Dan

Link to post
Share on other sites

The best I can find is adhesive felt rolls that I then cut to the desired width and length.  I then place them within the cap.  The edges will often-times peel slightly.  This is not the quality of Leica products but okay for diy.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Danner said:

My 1953 Summitar has the original slip-on cap, but is has diminished grip, given the thousands of times it has been mounted/dismounted over the decades.

Does anybody have experience re-flocking the interior to renew the grip?  Anybody offer this service?

Thank you for your thoughts...

- Dan

https://www.flockit.com
 

Using this, as opposed to a stick on felt strip it can be gauged to the thickness you want for the tightness of the cap.

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

Hello Dan,

Welcome to the Forum.

If the material on the inside of the cap was a medium brown then the material used originally was probably Hungarian Yak Felt. You might look around to see if any is available somewhere.

Best Regards,

Michael

Hungarian Yak ? :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Herr Barnack said:

If they have had their butt hairs forcibly tweezered off for lens cap rejuvenation, those German elves must be butt hurt by such an ordeal.

 

 

No. They shave regularly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, jaapv said:

Hungarian Yak ? :lol:

...that's why it's so rare.... 📸🐮👀

..(actually, I'm in the same position as Dan myself - it would be lovely if some sod would actually answer the question rather than having a laugh....

forgive my slightly 'sleeves rolled up' English, but it is a good honest question deserving of an answer..🧐📜📸)

Edited by robert_parker
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Danner said:

My 1953 Summitar has the original slip-on cap, but is has diminished grip, given the thousands of times it has been mounted/dismounted over the decades.

Does anybody have experience re-flocking the interior to renew the grip?  Anybody offer this service?

Thank you for your thoughts...

- Dan

Does it have to be original? Would you be ok with using thin adhesive grips like these?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DD532WM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_JQ7ZMNS8AR44PZH0ZGAA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

If this material won’t work then felt stickers can work too

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, robert_parker said:

...that's why it's so rare.... 📸🐮👀

..(actually, I'm in the same position as Dan myself - it would be lovely if some sod would actually answer the question rather than having a laugh....

forgive my slightly 'sleeves rolled up' English, but it is a good honest question deserving of an answer..🧐📜📸)

Evidently you missed it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, robert_parker said:

...that's why it's so rare.... 📸🐮👀

..(actually, I'm in the same position as Dan myself - it would be lovely if some sod would actually answer the question rather than having a laugh....

forgive my slightly 'sleeves rolled up' English, but it is a good honest question deserving of an answer..🧐📜📸)

Hello Robert,

That is the answer. Don't forget that there are also water buffalos in Italy.

Best Regards,

Michael

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aksclix said:

Does it have to be original? Would you be ok with using thin adhesive grips like these?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DD532WM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_JQ7ZMNS8AR44PZH0ZGAA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

If this material won’t work then felt stickers can work too

 

 

Hello Aksclix,

Do those stickers come in Yak?

Best Regards,

Michael

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jdlaing said:

Evidently you missed it.

 

42 minutes ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

Hello Robert,

That is the answer. Don't forget that there are also water buffalos in Italy.

Best Regards,

Michael

Gentlemen, 

Please accept my sincere apologies - in a climate where sometimes a genuine 'newbie' question can be greeted with a certain insouciance, or a 'go see  for yourself' response with a link, I've mis-read your intentions (maybe a little more explanation would've helped..) - just promise me that this really is a serious answer and Hungarian Yak Felt was indeed what was used by 1950's German camera makers and really isn't what I got all over my shoes when shooting under the bridges in Budapest...😲

...That took ages to wash off in the shower at the Four Seasons.... 🛕🏃‍♂️💨

Edited by robert_parker
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...