Re-Flocking a Slip-On Lens Cap?

Danner

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My 1953 Summitar has the original slip-on cap, but is has diminished grip, given the thousands of times it has been mounted/dismounted over the decades.

Does anybody have experience re-flocking the interior to renew the grip?  Anybody offer this service?

Thank you for your thoughts...

- Dan

• Thanks 1

The best I can find is adhesive felt rolls that I then cut to the desired width and length.  I then place them within the cap.  The edges will often-times peel slightly.  This is not the quality of Leica products but okay for diy.  

1 hour ago, Danner said:

My 1953 Summitar has the original slip-on cap, but is has diminished grip, given the thousands of times it has been mounted/dismounted over the decades.

Does anybody have experience re-flocking the interior to renew the grip?  Anybody offer this service?

- Dan

https://www.flockit.com

Using this, as opposed to a stick on felt strip it can be gauged to the thickness you want for the tightness of the cap.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

Hello Dan,

Welcome to the Forum.

If the material on the inside of the cap was a medium brown then the material used originally was probably Hungarian Yak Felt. You might look around to see if any is available somewhere.

Best Regards,

Michael

Hungarian Yak ? :lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Herr Barnack said:

If they have had their butt hairs forcibly tweezered off for lens cap rejuvenation, those German elves must be butt hurt by such an ordeal.

No. They shave regularly.

2 hours ago, jaapv said:

Hungarian Yak ? :lol:

...that's why it's so rare.... 📸🐮👀

..(actually, I'm in the same position as Dan myself - it would be lovely if some sod would actually answer the question rather than having a laugh....

forgive my slightly 'sleeves rolled up' English, but it is a good honest question deserving of an answer..🧐📜📸)

Edited by robert_parker
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Danner said:

- Dan

Does it have to be original? Would you be ok with using thin adhesive grips like these?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DD532WM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_JQ7ZMNS8AR44PZH0ZGAA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

If this material won’t work then felt stickers can work too

47 minutes ago, robert_parker said:

..(actually, I'm in the same position as Dan myself - it would be lovely if some sod would actually answer the question rather than having a laugh....

forgive my slightly 'sleeves rolled up' English, but it is a good honest question deserving of an answer..🧐📜📸)

Evidently you missed it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, robert_parker said:

Hello Robert,

That is the answer. Don't forget that there are also water buffalos in Italy.

Best Regards,

Michael

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, aksclix said:

Does it have to be original? Would you be ok with using thin adhesive grips like these?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DD532WM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_JQ7ZMNS8AR44PZH0ZGAA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

If this material won’t work then felt stickers can work too

Hello Aksclix,

Do those stickers come in Yak?

Best Regards,

Michael

1 hour ago, jdlaing said:

Evidently you missed it.

42 minutes ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

Hello Robert,

That is the answer. Don't forget that there are also water buffalos in Italy.

Best Regards,

Michael

Gentlemen, 

Please accept my sincere apologies - in a climate where sometimes a genuine 'newbie' question can be greeted with a certain insouciance, or a 'go see  for yourself' response with a link, I've mis-read your intentions (maybe a little more explanation would've helped..) - just promise me that this really is a serious answer and Hungarian Yak Felt was indeed what was used by 1950's German camera makers and really isn't what I got all over my shoes when shooting under the bridges in Budapest...😲

...That took ages to wash off in the shower at the Four Seasons.... 🛕🏃‍♂️💨

Edited by robert_parker

1 hour ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

Hello Aksclix,

Do those stickers come in Yak?

Best Regards,

Michael

Hi Michael - I don’t believe it does.. but there are quite a few fabric tapes that might be able to do the job here.. 

• Like 2