New features request for upcoming firmware updates

Advertisement (gone after registration)

SIXTH  UPDATE     #CORRECTED#

Bug Fixes

1. Folder renaming after firmware update, i.e. image numbering should continue from the last one taken/named instead of reverting to the beginning and having to jump through hoops to reset...

2. ...

Features

1. Digital Zoom implementation (yes, I know I have mentioned it before...) - give users the option to use the frame lines or the magnification of the image of 35, 50 or 75 mm to fill the screen.

2. Perspective control a la M series, nothing more to add here!

3. Real behavior Back Button Focus. AF-On style, like Nikon implementation.

4. Overlay of a previous photo in the EVF - seems like it could be handy when you are planning to merge shots and don't have a tripod to ensure consistent composition

5. Metering mode to expose for the highlights (Highlight-weighted metering)

6. App coupling, for geotagging, to be more reliable (to the person who posted this, a bit more information on this would be nice)

7. Ability to place Copyright, photographer name, or other user created, short text statement into EXIF data to be saved with image.

8. Square format offered with the same implementation as the 35, 50 and 75 digital crops.

9. Eye tracking AF (or at least more stick and smarter face detect). 

10. Lossless RAW/DNG format.  Smaller JPG file size option (fine vs. standard). 

11. Correct file size at digital zoom (e.g., 75mm crop at small JPG should yield a 7MP file, not a fraction of small JPG file). 

12. Bluetooth connection with phone for geotag.

13. A 65/24 format (panorama) that still retains 50% of megapixels, as per GFX100S.

14. A focus range limiter, that can be configured to focus within a range 0-5m or something - pop it in FN menu for quick change.

15. A function where the autofocus is disabled and the camera adjusts the focus such that the DOF reaches infinity. As you are adjusting the aperture, the camera will refocus to always give you the maximal DOF until infinity. Currently, you have to switch to manual focus and adjust the focus such that the infinity symbol is at the right side of the DOF bracket on the lens for a given aperture. Having this automated could be helpful for street and landscape photography.

16. Allow reduced JPEG resolution for different focal lengths, for example 12MP for every focal length, or reduced MP (like 24MP) for 28mm but still 24MP for 35mm etc. Unfortunately right now you can just change ALL resolutions by a factor. Doesn‘t make sense to change the 75mm to 8MP only because you dont want 45MP 28mm pics

17. Being able to choose release mode when using AFC. So, focus OR release.

18. Camera should not refocus between frames in AF-S in burst mode! Currently, burst mode cannot be used! Only the first frame is sharp.

19. Re-centering of focus by a double click of the centre button on the directional pad. 

20. In full Auto mode the right wheel would do exposure compensation whereas in manual mode it would do ⅓ steps correcting exposure time. At the moment I have to go into menu each time when I change from Auto to manual.

21.  The crop button should have more options available to assign to it similar to how the FN does.

22. The User Profile selection screen (from new top menu or assigned button) defaults to cancel.  It would be great if it defaulted to the current active User Profile.  

23. Have the self timer assignable to a User Profile and not have it turn off when the camera is turned off.  (Very useful for landscapes etc...)

• Like 1

a comprehensive set

I would add

1. different colours for the focus area box (white can be hard to see and I use red on my Sony's)

2. AEL for more than one frame

Possible bug when if shooing B&W jpeg and tracking AF the image reverts to colour when the shutter is half pressed

• Like 1

SEVENTH UPDATE

Bug Fixes

1. Folder renaming after firmware update, i.e. image numbering should continue from the last one taken/named instead of reverting to the beginning and having to jump through hoops to reset...

2. When shooing B&W jpeg and tracking AF the image reverts to colour when the shutter is half pressed

Features

1. Digital Zoom implementation (yes, I know I have mentioned it before...) - give users the option to use the frame lines or the magnification of the image of 35, 50 or 75 mm to fill the screen.

4. Overlay of a previous photo in the EVF - seems like it could be handy when you are planning to merge shots and don't have a tripod to ensure consistent composition

6. App coupling, for geotagging, to be more reliable (to the person who posted this, a bit more information on this would be nice)

7. Ability to place Copyright, photographer name, or other user created, short text statement into EXIF data to be saved with image.

8. Square format offered with the same implementation as the 35, 50 and 75 digital crops.

10. Lossless RAW/DNG format.  Smaller JPG file size option (fine vs. standard). 

11. Correct file size at digital zoom (e.g., 75mm crop at small JPG should yield a 7MP file, not a fraction of small JPG file). 

13. A 65/24 format (panorama) that still retains 50% of megapixels, as per GFX100S.

14. A focus range limiter, that can be configured to focus within a range 0-5m or something - pop it in FN menu for quick change.

15. A function where the autofocus is disabled and the camera adjusts the focus such that the DOF reaches infinity. As you are adjusting the aperture, the camera will refocus to always give you the maximal DOF until infinity. Currently, you have to switch to manual focus and adjust the focus such that the infinity symbol is at the right side of the DOF bracket on the lens for a given aperture. Having this automated could be helpful for street and landscape photography.

16. Allow reduced JPEG resolution for different focal lengths, for example 12MP for every focal length, or reduced MP (like 24MP) for 28mm but still 24MP for 35mm etc. Unfortunately right now you can just change ALL resolutions by a factor. Doesn‘t make sense to change the 75mm to 8MP only because you dont want 45MP 28mm pics

18. Camera should not refocus between frames in AF-S in burst mode! Currently, burst mode cannot be used! Only the first frame is sharp.

19. Re-centering of focus by a double click of the centre button on the directional pad. 

20. In full Auto mode the right wheel would do exposure compensation whereas in manual mode it would do ⅓ steps correcting exposure time. At the moment I have to go into menu each time when I change from Auto to manual.

21.  The crop button should have more options available to assign to it similar to how the FN does.

22. The User Profile selection screen (from new top menu or assigned button) defaults to cancel.  It would be great if it defaulted to the current active User Profile.  

23. Have the self timer assignable to a User Profile and not have it turn off when the camera is turned off.  (Very useful for landscapes etc...)

24. Different colours for the focus area box (white can be hard to see)

25. AEL for more than one frame

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I can't tell if this issue has already been brought up - but I'd like to be able to lock the crosshair in the center of the frame and not have it move when I inadvertently make contact with the touchscreen. I know I can double tap the screen to get it to recenter - but when I'm shooting I'm not always aware that the crosshair has moved and giving me false results (focus & metering) -  

I think "10" should be lossless RAW compression.  Wondering Leica offers only uncompressed RAW, resulting in 80MB+ files.  Can't think of any reason using uncompressed RAW, even for the sake of potential file corruption.  And the only time I had broken RAW file was from early Q2 firmware.  Interestingly, the newly announced Nikon Z9 dropped the uncompressed RAW entirely. 

• 2 months later...

EIGHTH UPDATE

Bug Fixes

2. When shooing B&W jpeg and tracking AF the image reverts to colour when the shutter is half pressed

Features

10. Lossless RAW/DNG format (compressed).  Smaller JPG file size option (fine vs. standard). 

26. Option to have info bars showing in EVF  and not on the LCD. [...] would prefer to see a smaller but complete image rather than having part of it shaded out. At least the possibility to make the info bars more see through.

27. An ‘off’ position for noise reduction / sharpening in the jpeg settings. 

28. Better high iso performance... (not sure if this is a f/w thing)

29. Compressed DNG setting. The files are huge and can be halved in size in Lightroom by updating “DNG preview and metadata” but this is not ideal as it takes a bit of time and you lose any of the ‘crop’ frameline settings.

30. 1:1 and 4:5 aspect ratio frame lines

31. To be able to lock the crosshair in the center of the frame and not have it move when inadvertently touching the touchscreen.

Am 31.12.2021 um 10:37 schrieb acg69:

EIGHTH UPDATE

Bug Fixes

2. When shooing B&W jpeg and tracking AF the image reverts to colour when the shutter is half pressed

Features

10. Lossless RAW/DNG format (compressed).  Smaller JPG file size option (fine vs. standard). 

26. Option to have info bars showing in EVF  and not on the LCD. [...] would prefer to see a smaller but complete image rather than having part of it shaded out. At least the possibility to make the info bars more see through.

29. Compressed DNG setting. The files are huge and can be halved in size in Lightroom by updating “DNG preview and metadata” but this is not ideal as it takes a bit of time and you lose any of the ‘crop’ frameline settings.

30. 1:1 and 4:5 aspect ratio frame lines

31. To be able to lock the crosshair in the center of the frame and not have it move when inadvertently touching the touchscreen.

Please let me add my personal recommendations for #19 & #20, a small addition to #30 

Point 19) I think this should be configurable as well. There should be also an option to 

First Press: Center the focus field
Second Press: Set back to the last used place.

So you can easily switch between the center and the point you were before. I had that in my NIkon and for me it was the most efficient way to use this button.

Point 20) I think this should also be able to set by the user. I want do bind the exposure time to the right thumb wheel. In my former professional workflow it was common to when I switch to fully manuel mode, then I use Aperture, Time and ISO to reach the finish line, and not the exposure compensation. I want to be able to use my right thumb to switch between the time values. Like maybe set the Exposure Time wheel from A to 1/2000 and then set my very own exposure time that doesn't change until I want it to or I spin the wheel again.

Another way would be to set the exposure time wheel to the closest value that matches the light scenery and then correct the time (not compensate) to the needed definite value. 
I mean, u can do that by using the display, but I dont always want to get my eyes of the viewfinder just to set the expsoure time.

Point 30) It also would ne nice, to have more filigran lines. the grid lines in the evf are way to bulky and dominant. 

As I am not able to edit my last post to add something more let me please add the following suggestions:

- More reliable AF-C mode. AF-C is way to nervous, it never locks onto objects, even if they stand still. Thats not how it should behave

-Regarding to that the ability to chose AF-C Speed. It leads to better results when you are able to chose the operating speed for auto focus. Slow Mid High. E.g. slow for slow moving objects like walking people, high for like cars and so on. 

- Crop Button to be used as AF start, or AF+AE start and the Shutter button only to take the shot, or take the shot + metering. 

- Crop Button to be used as AE-Lock + AF-Lock by holding the button in both AF-S and AF-C mode. When releasing the button it should get back to normal metering and focussing, so I dont have to push the button again to make the "freeze" go.

NINTH UPDATE

Bug Fixes

Features

19. Re-centering of focus by a double click of the centre button on the directional pad. This should be configurable as well: First Press to Center the focus field
Second Press to Set back to the last used place. So one can easily switch between the center and the last point.

20. In full Auto mode, the right wheel would do exposure compensation whereas in manual mode it would do ⅓ steps correcting exposure time. At the moment one has to go into menu each time in order to change from Auto to manual. This could also be set by the user. (USER EXAMPLE: "...I want to bind the exposure time to the right thumb wheel. In my former professional workflow it was common to when I switch to fully manuel mode, then I use Aperture, Time and ISO to reach the finish line, and not the exposure compensation. I want to be able to use my right thumb to switch between the time values. Like maybe set the Exposure Time wheel from A to 1/2000 and then set my very own exposure time that doesn't change until I want it to or I spin the wheel again. Another way would be to set the exposure time wheel to the closest value that matches the light scenery and then correct the time (not compensate) to the needed definite value...") 

30. 1:1 and 4:5 aspect ratio frame lines. It also would be nice to have more filigran lines. The grid lines in the EVF are way too bulky and dominant.

32. More reliable AF-C mode. AF-C is way too nervous, it never locks onto objects, even if they stand still.

33. The ability to chose AF-C Speed. It leads to better results when one is able to choose the operating speed for auto focus. (e.g. Slow-Mid-High: slow for slow moving objects like walking people, high for cars and so on) 

34. Crop Button to be used as AF start, or AF+AE start and the Shutter button only to take the shot, or take the shot + metering. 

35. Crop Button to be used as AE-Lock + AF-Lock by holding the button in both AF-S and AF-C mode. When releasing the button it should get back to normal metering and focusing, so there is no need to push the button again to make the "freeze" go.

• Like 1

I‘m very shocked that no one mentioned the „bug“ regarding the AF bracket size. It‘s horrible implemented since it can be activated by the nose. And since I‘m using my left eye to look through the EVF, I always activate it with my nose. I‘ve also seen a thread somewhere and there were a lot people cpmplaining about that - mainly the ones that use the left eye for the EVF.

7 hours ago, Pixelements said:

I‘m very shocked that no one mentioned the „bug“ regarding the AF bracket size. It‘s horrible implemented since it can be activated by the nose. And since I‘m using my left eye to look through the EVF, I always activate it with my nose. I‘ve also seen a thread somewhere and there were a lot people cpmplaining about that - mainly the ones that use the left eye for the EVF.

I believe this was fixed with the 3.1 firmware update. I am I left eye shooter  myself and I don’t have this problem anymore:)

When the information display overlays are off, make the exposure compensation display appear while exposure compensation is being adjusted. The Q did this, and they took it away on the Q2. I can't tell what compensation setting I'm at without turning on the information overlays.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hdmesa said:

When the information display overlays are off, make the exposure compensation display appear while exposure compensation is being adjusted. The Q did this, and they took it away on the Q2. I can't tell what compensation setting I'm at without turning on the information overlays.

I use shutter half-press to see the EC amount when information overlay is turned off. 

We should have an option to always display information in the EVF's bottom black bar.

4 hours ago, SrMi said:

I use shutter half-press to see the EC amount when information overlay is turned off. 

We should have an option to always display information in the EVF's bottom black bar.

When using the LCD I meant – if info displays are off, I get nothing when moving exposure comp. Agree we need that bottom black bar and option to shrink image above it like in the EVF.

• Like 1

TENTH UPDATE

Bug Fixes

Features

10. Lossless RAW/DNG format (compressed).  Smaller JPG file size option (fine vs. standard). 

19. Re-centering of focus by a double click of the centre button on the directional pad. This should be configurable as well: First Press to Center the focus field,
Second Press to Set back to the last used place. So one can easily switch between the center and the last point.

20. In full Auto mode, the right wheel would do exposure compensation whereas in manual mode it would do ⅓ steps correcting exposure time. At the moment one has to go into menu each time in order to change from Auto to manual. This could also be set by the user. (USER EXAMPLE: "...I want to bind the exposure time to the right thumb wheel. In my former professional workflow it was common to when I switch to fully manuel mode, then I use Aperture, Time and ISO to reach the finish line, and not the exposure compensation. I want to be able to use my right thumb to switch between the time values. Like maybe set the Exposure Time wheel from A to 1/2000 and then set my very own exposure time that doesn't change until I want it to or I spin the wheel again. Another way would be to set the exposure time wheel to the closest value that matches the light scenery and then correct the time (not compensate) to the needed definite value...") 

30. 1:1 and 4:5 aspect ratio frame lines. It also would be nice to have more filigran lines. The grid lines in the EVF are way too bulky and dominant.

32. More reliable AF-C mode. AF-C is way too nervous, it never locks onto objects, even if they stand still.

33. The ability to chose AF-C Speed. It leads to better results when one is able to choose the operating speed for auto focus. (e.g. Slow-Mid-High: slow for slow moving objects like walking people, high for cars and so on) 

34. Crop Button to be used as AF start, or AF+AE start and the Shutter button only to take the shot, or take the shot + metering. 

35. Crop Button to be used as AE-Lock + AF-Lock by holding the button in both AF-S and AF-C mode. When releasing the button it should get back to normal metering and focusing, so there is no need to push the button again to make the "freeze" go.

36. Menu option to block the accidental switching to video mode just by carelessly touching the menu screen.

37. When the information display overlays are off, make the exposure compensation display appear while exposure compensation is being adjusted. The Q did this, and Leica took it away on the Q2.

Any ideas when (if?) we should be expecting a firmware update for the Q2? It’s been a while it seems, but I am not familiar with Leica’s firmware policies and cycles. In any case, now that I have been using the Q2 as my exclusive camera for over a year, I know that if I had to choose just one item for a firmware update, it would be the digital zoom implementation (as I have mentioned several times before!). The reason I mention it again is to make a point about how complete I find this camera to be. Can it be improved? Sure, like everything else for that matter. But the simple menu / button structure and the accompanying operating logic are a joy to use and in conjunction with the IQ, this may be one of those rare cases where adding stuff could actually subtract from the user experience. As usual, ymmv:)