New features request for upcoming firmware updates

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, Cheesehead said:

I will have to dig into my photos to see if this is also recorded with the EXIF.

This is what was posted on the forum when version 2.1 came out.

I remember being able to find location when I took pictures using the app.  I am not as sure that it worked when the camera had been connected but was being used manually.  I do know that my iPhone tells me that the Leica app is using my location information.

Will try different modes.  The only way I consistently got geotag info in EXIF is when the Leica app functions as the remote.  Thanks!

Fourth update of requested features:

Bug Fixes

1. Folder renaming after firmware update, i.e. image numbering should continue from the last one taken/named instead of reverting to the beginning and having to jump through hoops to reset...

Features

1. Digital Zoom implementation (yes, I know I have mentioned it before...) - give users the option to use the frame lines or the magnification of the image of 35, 50 or 75 mm to fill the screen.

2. Perspective control a la M series, nothing more to add here!

3. Real behavior Back Button Focus. AF-On style, like Nikon implementation.

4. Overlay of a previous photo in the EVF - seems like it could be handy when you are planning to merge shots and don't have a tripod to ensure consistent composition

5. Metering mode to expose for the highlights (Highlight-weighted metering)

6. App coupling, for geotagging, to be more reliable (to the person who posted this, a bit more information on this would be nice)

7. Ability to place Copyright, photographer name, or other user created, short text statement into EXIF data to be saved with image.

8. Square format offered with the same implementation as the 35, 50 and 75 digital crops.

9. Eye tracking AF (or at least more stick and smarter face detect). 

10. Lossless RAW/DNG format.  Smaller JPG file size option (fine vs. standard). 

11. Correct file size at digital zoom (e.g., 75mm crop at small JPG should yield a 7MP file, not a fraction of small JPG file). 

12. Bluetooth connection with phone for geotag.

13. 65/24 format (panorama) that still retains 50% of your megapixels, as per GFX100S.

14. Focus range limiter, that can be configured to focus within a range 0-5m or something - pop it in FN menu for quick change.

15. Autofocus is disabled and the camera adjusts the focus such that the DOF reaches infinity. As you are adjusting the aperture, the camera will refocus to always give you the maximal DOF until infinity. Currently, you have to switch to manual focus and adjust the focus such that the infinity symbol is at the right side of the DOF bracket on the lens for a given aperture. Having this automated could be helpful for street and landscape photography...

16. Allow reduced JPEG resolution for different focal lengths, for example 12MP for every focal length, or reduced MP (like 24MP) for 28mm but still 24MP for 35mm etc.

On 5/21/2021 at 11:35 AM, acg69 said:

Fourth update of requested features:

Bug Fixes

1. Folder renaming after firmware update, i.e. image numbering should continue from the last one taken/named instead of reverting to the beginning and having to jump through hoops to reset...

Features

1. Digital Zoom implementation (yes, I know I have mentioned it before...) - give users the option to use the frame lines or the magnification of the image of 35, 50 or 75 mm to fill the screen.

4. Overlay of a previous photo in the EVF - seems like it could be handy when you are planning to merge shots and don't have a tripod to ensure consistent composition

6. App coupling, for geotagging, to be more reliable (to the person who posted this, a bit more information on this would be nice)

7. Ability to place Copyright, photographer name, or other user created, short text statement into EXIF data to be saved with image.

8. Square format offered with the same implementation as the 35, 50 and 75 digital crops.

9. Eye tracking AF (or at least more sticky and smarter face detect). 

10. Lossless RAW/DNG format compression.  Smaller JPG file size option (fine vs. standard). 

11. Correct file size at digital zoom (e.g., 75mm crop at small JPG should yield a 7MP file, not a fraction of small JPG file). 

13. 65/24 format (panorama) that still retains 50% of your megapixels, as per GFX100S.

14. Focus range limiter, that can be configured to focus within a range 0-5m or something - pop it in FN menu for quick change.

15. Autofocus is disabled and the camera adjusts the focus such that the DOF reaches infinity. As you are adjusting the aperture, the camera will refocus to always give you the maximal DOF until infinity. Currently, you have to switch to manual focus and adjust the focus such that the infinity symbol is at the right side of the DOF bracket on the lens for a given aperture. Having this automated could be helpful for street and landscape photography...

16. Allow reduced JPEG resolution for different focal lengths, for example 12MP for every focal length, or reduced MP (like 24MP) for 28mm but still 24MP for 35mm etc.

Thank you for gathering the inputs.  The listed suggestions are great.  Any good way to communicate this to Leica?

Edited by vedivv
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, vedivv said:

Thank you for gathering the inputs.  The listed suggestions are great.  Any good way to communicate this to Leica?

No idea really... The initial goal was to gather the input for features  and bug fixes for the Q2 in one place. Of course the ultimate goal is to get this list to Leica somehow, showing that it reflects more than one person's desires / needs. I could send it to Leica through the official channel that they use, but I doubt that it will fare any better than a single person's request. If there is no other way that a forum member can think of, that is what I will do and hope for the best:)

• Like 1

I've been in contact with the gnomes of Wetzlar on this, they got back to me but it didn't make it into the last firmware.

"Touch/Release" focusing has been implemented so that it can't be used when shooting video - the "release" means that, if you touch the screen while shooting video in order to move the focus point, it stops recording! These means that, if you switch between photos & videos a lot (which I do), you keep having to do a deep dive into the menus to change the focus options. It is bad enough that the Q2 has had the video button removed from the Q, but this makes it an absolute pain in the arse for me to use - if I had known, I wouldn't have bought it.

1 hour ago, AndrewDD said:

I've been in contact with the gnomes of Wetzlar on this, they got back to me but it didn't make it into the last firmware.

"Touch/Release" focusing has been implemented so that it can't be used when shooting video - the "release" means that, if you touch the screen while shooting video in order to move the focus point, it stops recording! These means that, if you switch between photos & videos a lot (which I do), you keep having to do a deep dive into the menus to change the focus options. It is bad enough that the Q2 has had the video button removed from the Q, but this makes it an absolute pain in the arse for me to use - if I had known, I wouldn't have bought it.

Sorry to hear that!

So, should we add it to the list and, if so, how? 

I'd like that in full Auto mode the right wheel would do exposure compensation whereas in manual mode it would do ⅓ steps correcting exposure time. At the moment I have to go into menu each time when I change from Auto to manual.

Of course I would be more happy if the exposure time wheel would work in ⅓ EV steps rather than 1/1 EV steps. But here it is about firmware.

1 hour ago, M10 for me said:

I'd like that in full Auto mode the right wheel would do exposure compensation whereas in manual mode it would do ⅓ steps correcting exposure time. At the moment I have to go into menu each time when I change from Auto to manual.

Of course I would be more happy if the exposure time wheel would work in ⅓ EV steps rather than 1/1 EV steps. But here it is about firmware.

Why do you need 1/3 instead of 1/1 steps in shutter speed? Are you using ETTR and UNiWB?

vor 10 Minuten schrieb SrMi:

Why do you need 1/3 instead of 1/1 steps in shutter speed? Are you using ETTR and UNiWB?

I am used to expose properly according to my needs. And 1 full EV change is not precise enough for me. I never ever owned a camera like this. The M10 has as well ½ EV steps. At least the Q has ⅓ steps on the aperture ring on the lens. Why not the exposure knob? And the canon cameras always come with accurate setting options where you can even say in the menu if you whish ½ EV or ⅓ EV steps; I like that.

• Thanks 1

FIFTH update of requested features:

Bug Fixes

2. ...

Features

13. A 65/24 format (panorama) that still retains 50% of megapixels, as per GFX100S.

14. A focus range limiter, that can be configured to focus within a range 0-5m or something - pop it in FN menu for quick change.

15. A function where the autofocus is disabled and the camera adjusts the focus such that the DOF reaches infinity. As you are adjusting the aperture, the camera will refocus to always give you the maximal DOF until infinity. Currently, you have to switch to manual focus and adjust the focus such that the infinity symbol is at the right side of the DOF bracket on the lens for a given aperture. Having this automated could be helpful for street and landscape photography.

16. Allow reduced JPEG resolution for different focal lengths, for example 12MP for every focal length, or reduced MP (like 24MP) for 28mm but still 24MP for 35mm etc. Unfortunately right now you can just change ALL resolutions by a factor. Doesn‘t make sense to change the 75mm to 8MP only because you dont want 45MP 28mm pics

17. Being able to choose release mode when using AFC. So, focus OR release.

18. Camera should not refocus between frames in AF-S in burst mode! Currently, burst mode cannot be used! Only the first frame is sharp.

19. Re-centering of focus by a double click of the centre button on the directional pad. 

20. In full Auto mode the right wheel would do exposure compensation whereas in manual mode it would do ⅓ steps correcting exposure time. At the moment I have to go into menu each time when I change from Auto to manual.

Edited by acg69

What a list - who would be a camera designer 😆

Still, to add my 2p worth.  I would like the cropped image to appear at full size in the viewfinder so I can evaluate it when shooting.  I never did like frame lines on my M.  OTOH I do not want anything I can do afterwards in LR or equivalent, anyway.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, rob_w said:

What a list - who would be a camera designer 😆

Still, to add my 2p worth.  I would like the cropped image to appear at full size in the viewfinder so I can evaluate it when shooting.  I never did like frame lines on my M.  OTOH I do not want anything I can do afterwards in LR or equivalent, anyway.

I am SO with you! It is the #1 on the list and it is what I have been asking for all along. I just wish Leica listens and goes for Function over Form (or legacy or fake R/F memorabilia) and offers it at least as an option. It is a no brainer and it can surely be done; you know that when you shoot in DNG+JPG and use the Digital Zoom, the preview image you just captured shows in the entire monitor/EVF! It is just a matter of Leica deciding to stand behind the digital zoom function and make it usable... (Somebody stop me, I am babbling again...)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The point is to display the histogram in the EVF and adjust exposure real time with the camera at your eye. Ii don't see a good reason to fiddle with ISO when shooting. Set and forget. In rapidly changing light there is auto-ISO.

• 4 months later...

SIXTH  UPDATE

Bug Fixes

2. ...

Features

13. A 65/24 format (panorama) that still retains 50% of megapixels, as per GFX100S.

14. A focus range limiter, that can be configured to focus within a range 0-5m or something - pop it in FN menu for quick change.

15. A function where the autofocus is disabled and the camera adjusts the focus such that the DOF reaches infinity. As you are adjusting the aperture, the camera will refocus to always give you the maximal DOF until infinity. Currently, you have to switch to manual focus and adjust the focus such that the infinity symbol is at the right side of the DOF bracket on the lens for a given aperture. Having this automated could be helpful for street and landscape photography.

16. Allow reduced JPEG resolution for different focal lengths, for example 12MP for every focal length, or reduced MP (like 24MP) for 28mm but still 24MP for 35mm etc. Unfortunately right now you can just change ALL resolutions by a factor. Doesn‘t make sense to change the 75mm to 8MP only because you dont want 45MP 28mm pics

17. Being able to choose release mode when using AFC. So, focus OR release.

18. Camera should not refocus between frames in AF-S in burst mode! Currently, burst mode cannot be used! Only the first frame is sharp.

19. Re-centering of focus by a double click of the centre button on the directional pad. 

20. In full Auto mode the right wheel would do exposure compensation whereas in manual mode it would do ⅓ steps correcting exposure time. At the moment I have to go into menu each time when I change from Auto to manual.

21.  Have the option to assign the crop button to FN button 

22. The User Profile selection screen (from new top menu or assigned button) defaults to cancel.  It would be great if it defaulted to the current active User Profile.  

23. Have the self timer assignable to a User Profile and not have it turn off when the camera is turned off.  (Very useful for landscapes etc...)