New features request for upcoming firmware updates

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Question to the group: Is there any value in creating a topic where we put all our suggestions for upcoming firmware updates? 

There seem to be some fixes that are warranted and some features that we'd like to see on the Q2. We could have a running list, so that it would be easier for everyone (including Leica) to track, along with the rationale for them (possibly?).

If members think this is helpful, let me start by putting few of my own here, just to sum start the process. If not, oh well, you win some, you lose some:)

Bug Fixes

1. Folder renaming after firmware update, i.e. image numbering should continue from the last one taken/named instead of reverting to the beginning and having to jump through hoops to reset...

2. ...

Features

1. Digital Zoom implementation (yes, I know I have mentioned it before...) - give users the option to use the frame lines or the magnification of the image of 35, 50 or 75 mm to fill the screen.

2. Perspective control a la M series, nothing more to add here!

3. ...

A couple of features from the new SL FW...

1. Overlay of a previous photo in the EVF - seems like it could be handy when you are planning to merge shots and don't have a tripod to ensure consistent composition
  2. Metering mode to expose for the highlights

46 minutes ago, iRandom said:

Metering mode to expose for the highlights

That is present already.  It is called the real-time histogram in the viewfinder.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jaapv said:

That is present already.  It is called the real-time histogram in the viewfinder.

Actually, this feature (Highlight-weighted metering) was just offered on the SL2-S firmware update 2.0, so you may have point there. According to RDF:

"We've long espoused the virtues of exposing for the highlights, but this has involved using highlight clipping warnings, test shots and frequent use of exposure compensations. But now, Leica has added a new metering mode into the SL2-S. When shooting in Highlight-Weighted mode, the camera will evaluate the full scene off the sensor and set the exposure to the brightest point in the image. This is an amazing addition and will be a huge timesaver for so many photographers"

Edited by acg69
  • Like 1

So, I am updating my initial post with

3 minutes ago, jaapv said:

And completely useless when you have specular highlights - which should be clipped.

One man's trash, another man's treasure I guess:) The thing is, Leica has offered it on the SL2-S, so, if anything, it is easy to offer it on the Q2/M as well. Whether it is useful or not, is up to each photographer. I see your point, but there are situations where this could be the way to go without having to use the histogram (a lot of people don't really get how it works). Of course ymmv:)

Edited by acg69

So, I will update my initial post with the suggestions posted so far:

Bug Fixes

1. Folder renaming after firmware update, i.e. image numbering should continue from the last one taken/named instead of reverting to the beginning and having to jump through hoops to reset...

2. ...

Features

1. Digital Zoom implementation (yes, I know I have mentioned it before...) - give users the option to use the frame lines or the magnification of the image of 35, 50 or 75 mm to fill the screen.

3. Real behavior Back Button Focus. AF-On style, like Nikon implementation.

4. Overlay of a previous photo in the EVF - seems like it could be handy when you are planning to merge shots and don't have a tripod to ensure consistent composition

5. Metering mode to expose for the highlights (Highlight-weighted metering)

6. App coupling, for geotagging, to be more reliable (to the person who posted this, a bit more information on this would be nice)

47 minutes ago, acg69 said:

So, I am updating my initial post with

One man's trash, another man's treasure I guess:) The thing is, Leica has offered it on the SL2-S, so, if anything, it is easy to offer it on the Q2/M as well. Whether it is useful or not, is up to each photographer. I see your point, but there are situations where this could be the way to go without having to use the histogram (a lot of people don't really get how it works). Of course ymmv:)

MMDV ;)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Still I prefer to control exposure instead of letting the camera run away with it; but that is just me. 

Believe me, I see your point, but, as you may appreciate, cameras have to be able to cater to photographers of varying degrees of proficiency. As it is, they do offer several options in order to facilitate creativity (I guess), one more option couldn't hurt. Personally, I use spot metering, because I believe it is better suited to the style of image I want to produce. Again, ymmv, but we've been there already:)

3 hours ago, jaapv said:

Still I prefer to control exposure instead of letting the camera run away with it; but that is just me. 

nope, you still have to control the exposure, but its easier and more intuitive, the highlights and shadow details are retained, so no need to lift up the shadows too much after an ETTR

Back to the original topic, I find myself going round in circles. On the one hand, I am attracted to having some features, such as the choice of digital crop viewfinder display. On the other hand, I bought the Q2 mainly to get away from complicated menus and closer to the experience of using a film camera (but with the advantages/convenience of digital). 

On balance, my desire for simplicity outweighs my desire for extra stuff. Dull, I know!

24 minutes ago, ianforber said:

Back to the original topic, I find myself going round in circles. On the one hand, I am attracted to having some features, such as the choice of digital crop viewfinder display. On the other hand, I bought the Q2 mainly to get away from complicated menus and closer to the experience of using a film camera (but with the advantages/convenience of digital). 

On balance, my desire for simplicity outweighs my desire for extra stuff. Dull, I know!

I agree with you on the simplicity argument. That is the reason I sold all my gear and opted for the Q2. However, the specific feature is not something extra, but rather a different implementation of a pre-existing feature, i.e. the digital zoom. So, while I do desire simplicity as much as you, I still maintain that implementing it differently (or giving the option to do so) is a good thing. Again, not everyone has to agree with all the features mentioned here; let's just say that it is an aggregate wish list and Santa Claus Leica can chose what to bring us and what not;)

• Like 1

So, I will update my initial post with the suggestions posted so far:

Bug Fixes

2. ...

Features

3. Real behavior Back Button Focus. AF-On style, like Nikon implementation.

4. Overlay of a previous photo in the EVF - seems like it could be handy when you are planning to merge shots and don't have a tripod to ensure consistent composition

5. Metering mode to expose for the highlights (Highlight-weighted metering)

6. App coupling, for geotagging, to be more reliable (to the person who posted this, a bit more information on this would be nice)

7. Ability to place Copyright, photographer name, or other user created, short text statement into EXIF data to be saved with image.