Rain Water and my M3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 hours ago, earthphoto said:

M2, and M3 can take a lot. They where mostly used by journalists during the Vietnam war. You may google for a picture of Horst Faas, the famous german journalist.  ☺️ 

As soon as you start looking there will appear many photographs of journalists using Leica's in the rain, humidity and mud of Vietnam. Horst Faas is a fine example, but given camera geekery is rife on LUF how about this article regarding David Douglas Duncan's M3

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2244687/Vintage-Leica-camera-used-capture-iconic-images-Vietnam-war-sells-1-2-million-auction.html

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

As long as its not completely *drenched* it should be just fine. the M3 doesn't have any electrical components and brass is chemically not able to corrode from water. Just dry it off with a towel afterwards and keep it in a well circulated area for a few hours so everything has a chance to completely dry off. I never had a problem with my m3 when shooting in light-medium rain

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/28/2022 at 6:44 PM, BenLeicam3 said:

brass is chemically not able to corrode from water

Actually, this isn't true. Prolonged contact with water, or storage in a humid environment, will cause brass to corrode. 
Granted, it most probably won't happen from just one accidental splash if you dry it thoroughly afterwards.

On 5/3/2021 at 4:24 PM, StephenH said:

I prefer to take pictures on overcast days for a variety of reasons.  Unfortunately, by definition that means that there is a threat of rain.  I take along a zip lock bag so that if it starts raining, i can protect the camera.  How concerned should one be about surface water on a film M?  Any other clever ways to protect them from this threat?

These cameras were used in the war zones of Vietnam, I think they can take a little rain or moisture 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, idusidusi said:

How could you compare a Leica to an ugly beast......

Quite easily.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I've used my unmodified M3 in Alaska and the Yukon where it was so cold that the film would easily shatter when loading my main camera on that project, an Arriflex 35BL.  No issues with the Leica.  I found it helped to seal up the camera in a plastic bag when taking it from warm to cold and visa versa.  Then, when the gear is up to (or down to) temperature, take it out of the bag.  Prevents condensation on the lens, viewfinder, etc.. 

On 6/18/2022 at 12:15 AM, idusidusi said:

Sorry if I offended you! Ugly but very practical for it's intended uses.

No you’re right, it wasn't hit by the ugly stick.It got lost in the ugly forest.

But it is a superb camera to use and the 35mm lens is fantastic.

• Like 1