Advertisement (gone after registration)

I prefer to take pictures on overcast days for a variety of reasons.  Unfortunately, by definition that means that there is a threat of rain.  I take along a zip lock bag so that if it starts raining, i can protect the camera.  How concerned should one be about surface water on a film M?  Any other clever ways to protect them from this threat?

I keep a water proof bag along for the ride in case of rain. But I have been hit a number of times with a squall and never had any problems a dry towel couldn't solve. 

Just take a cloth to dry it with from time to time. The showstopper with wet weather is condensation inside the viewfinder so dry it before putting it away and keep air circulating around the body and don't put a wet camera under your coat. 

16 hours ago, StephenH said:

I prefer to take pictures on overcast days for a variety of reasons.  Unfortunately, by definition that means that there is a threat of rain.  I take along a zip lock bag so that if it starts raining, i can protect the camera.  How concerned should one be about surface water on a film M?  Any other clever ways to protect them from this threat?

Minimally. The main  problem with moisture is with digital cameras with their elaborate electronics and (relative) high-power electrical circuits that corrode terminally.

Mechanical cameras are far less susceptible. The mechanics are greased and won't seize up with rust from some rain, electronic exposure meters are usually fairly deep inside the body.  As long as you take reasonable precautions like not totally drenching the camera or mistaking it for a Nikonos you have little to worry about.

M3 ( and Ms before M4-2 ) with autolub brass gears would be my choice for 'rainy days' or rainy parts of our world.

When I used M4-2/P after returning from wet countries, some of the inside parts rusted *, to be replaced when CLAed.

* repair men told me by then

Leica M without electronics can stand "wet use" very well, just dry the camera/lens with dry cloth when they are wet.

Putting them in waterproof bag can have some negative effect with condensation on optic parts.

To protect them from rain, I put the combo in plastic bag with large opening under it, not to have condensation problem

• 4 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 5/4/2021 at 4:13 AM, jaapv said:

Minimally. The main  problem with moisture is with digital cameras with their elaborate electronics and (relative) high-power electrical circuits that corrode terminally.

Mechanical cameras are far less susceptible. The mechanics are greased and won't seize up with rust from some rain, electronic exposure meters are usually fairly deep inside the body.  As long as you take reasonable precautions like not totally drenching the camera or mistaking it for a Nikonos you have little to worry about.

My M-P 240 has an advertised amount of weather resistance but what good is it if the lens is not weather sealed?

42 minutes ago, kivis said:

My M-P 240 has an advertised amount of weather resistance but what good is it if the lens is not weather sealed?

Not as good. I just carry a bar towel to wipe off moisture. I have a neoprene camera case for the really cold/soggy days.

It shouldn’t be a problem. Because Leica used to promote using MP (which has some electronics) under rain and under sub zero arctic environments. 
They even showcased the MP as the sole reliable camera for artic or Antarctic expeditions. 

So raining should be the least of mechanical Ms concern. 

Leica XU has become my second camera for alpine hiking tours, where the weather changes surprisingly often to rain, thunderstorms or slight blizzards even in summer.
The XU also provides better protection against spray from waterfalls, sailing and rafting tours than any Leica M could ever do.
Especially on tours lasting several weeks, where moisture that has penetrated the sensitive rangefinder cannot be removed immediately.
It is hardly possible to focus precisely with a fogged viewfinder.

2 hours ago, kivis said:

According to Leica the lenses havea sufficient amount of weather protection through narrow tolerances and lubrication. The advent of electronics in lenses and cameras has produced a fear of rain that is not justified for mechanical objects that are made of glass and brass.  As my grandmother used to say: "you are not made of sugar" OK. So your mechanical lens will get wet and a bit of moisture works its way inside. What will happen? It will dry out again....

1 hour ago, nicci78 said:

It shouldn’t be a problem. Because Leica used to promote using MP (which has some electronics) under rain and under sub zero arctic environments. 
They even showcased the MP as the sole reliable camera for artic or Antarctic expeditions. 

So raining should be the least of mechanical Ms concern. 

I remember tha Catlin Expedition photographed by Martin HArtley was reportedly shot on am MP but when I read his interview on the trip he said it was a "specially modified" MP, that special modification I recall was to remove all the normal lubricants and re apply something that would stand up to the intense cold in the Polar Regions. He also used some nikon kit D2x I think. https://www.martinhartley.com/galleries/Vault/Leica-Camera

Leica used to offer a "winterizing" service which removed most of the lubrication to prevent the camera from freezing up under extreme cold. It made the camera quite rough to use under normal circumstances and it had to be re-lubricated for normal use. Modern lubricants have made this less necessary, although I imagine that they will still prepare cameras for special extreme use, like polar expeditions, on request.
The lowest I used my M3 in was -45ºC in North Finland in winter. It was not winterized, but it kept going.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Leica used to offer a "winterizing" service which removed most of the lubrication to prevent the camera from freezing up under extreme cold. It made the camera quite rough to use under normal circumstances and it had to be re-lubricated for normal use. Modern lubricants have made this less necessary, although I imagine that they will still prepare cameras for special extreme use, like polar expeditions, on request.
The lowest I used my M3 in was -45ºC in North Finland in winter. It was not winterized, but it kept going.

Back in the late 1980s I used Canon F1n s in Northern Norway at -20 and lower with no issues, a collegue was using Nikon F3 at the same time and he also had no issues. Neither of us had any special preparations done to the cameras.

These days I'd stop working way before those temps. 😄

Edited by Topsy
Posted (edited)
On 5/3/2021 at 4:24 PM, StephenH said:

I would say that it is ok to get a mechanical (or even digital too) M camera damp or even wet in drizzle or rain provided that you ensure that it is dried out properly afterward and also that the zip lock/dry bag is thoroughly dried too. I use indicator silica gel which can be bought on eBay and reused if it is dried out after its has absorbed sufficient moisture. If you allow a damp camera or lens to stay in a damp environment - and worse warm and dark - then you risk cousing fungus which can be expensive to remove. So I don't worry about getting cameras damp in the rain because it won't harm them, but I do make sure that they are thoroughly dried out before putting them away afterwards. [My M9 got damp ths morning and has spent the fternoon drying out - its used to it].

Edited by pgk
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I'm from Oregon, which is known for its rain and all other forms of precipitation, and my M3 has been quite resistant to moisture.  I use the original everready case, and the little time out in the weather for shots doesn't seem to allow much moisture into the camera.  I also open up the case when back indoors to let the camera gently dry out after shooting outside.

Scott

Edited by skucera
typo