App for Leica q2

• 2 weeks later...

I recently completed a very cold early autumn tour of some Tasmanian landscape sites (https://images.petergallagher.net.au) taking only the Q2 and a Sony RX100 (as a snapshot alternative with a long lens). It was an occasion to test the App pretty thoroughly.

My idea was to try to be more creative within the limits of a fixed-lens 28mm camera. The Q2 worked as advertised. But that non-tilting screen is THE PITS! So the App was essential. Also, long-exposure photography is possible on the Q2 without the app (no shutter cable, so only the 2-sec timer) but the app makes it much more functional. I had decided to save on weight and take only a table-top tripod because that works well with a wide-angle camera like the Q2. But it sort of defeats any live view from the camera: especially in difficult field conditions. 

As others said, the app. works OK once the connection is made. The dual bluetooth/wifi setup is useful because you can wake the camera and connect pretty much any time (bluetooth is a persistent connection, it seems). I got more-or-less robust connections from my IPhone 12 to the Q2 about 70% of the time.

Once you are connected the app has a lot of functionality (all three vertices of the exposure 'triad') and makes manual focus stacking or even exposure staking a breeze. It also adds GPS to the images which turns out to be great in wilderness photography. I think I got GPS coords on the images even when I had no carrier signal. 

My main gripe is that the phone screen can be hard to see in the sunlight (duh!) so not a replacement for the EVF. Also phones-screen controls are a bit more difficult to operate in very cold, wet conditions than the buttons on the Q2 (which I don't much love, especially the one, tiny, programmable back-button). In the course of making exposure adjustments I dropped the phone twice: once into a stream (no big deal) and once over the edge of a snowy rock-scree where I had to scramble very carefully to retrieve it. In future I'm going to tether my phone to a cord around my neck.

Another advantage of using a phone with the Q2, by the way, is that you have an alternate wide-angle camera in your hand. The comparisons are sometimes interesting, to say the least. I captured this image, first, with my phone while waiting for a friend outside our motel. What I saw on the phone looked sort of interesting, so...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Peter Gallagher
URL
  • Like 2

I use the app on my iPad (iPad version) so have a bigger screen. For me it works just fine for taking remote controlled photos. For this image of the blue tit, I put the Q2 in a hanging basket next to the feeder, and remote controlled the camera using the app from about 30ft away inside my conservatory  😉

(the image is a download from my FB feed, so dont bother pixel peeping as it is FB quality  😉     )

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2