Engraving leitz elmar 5cm fake ?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello, I recently bought a Leica IIIa with an elmar lens on the internet. After opening the package, a nice surprise was waiting for me, an engraving was visible on the lens (property of E.leitz Inc. New-York) 
After searching on the internet I could not find anything.
The engraving seems to me authentic 

Was the camera and lens for internal use in the factory? Or an exhibition model? Or simply a fake?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Seems genuine to me and the serial number shows this lens was produced in 1952. The engraving 'Property of E. Leitz Inc. New York' is in the same position as a lens in Laney's Leica Collector's guide. Funny that it says New-York instead of New York. Perhaps this points to an engraving in Germany where the lens was produced. 

Very nice!

Lex

It's nice 😉.. not that makes the value jumping to thousands... but is uncommon and original by any evidence... I don't think one embarkes in making such a well done job for money... other fakes give a better return... 😎. About New - York... Lager displays Elmar # 1.045.124 which too has New - York (engraved on the flat base - different position) and also another (s/n not reported) with exactly same writing and position as yours.

Anyway... seems to me there is another oddity... s/n is 1.046.612... Elmars in that range, iirc, ought to have the distance scale on the slantend rotating mount, an the DOF scale on the flat base (and, in this s/n range, with the diamond focus index)... this one is the way round as in the older Elmars... maybe a confirmation that is a non standard item for internal usage.

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 1

Thank you all for taking the time to answer me.

4 hours ago, luigi bertolotti said:

Anyway... seems to me there is another oddity... s/n is 1.046.612... Elmars in that range, iirc, ought to have the distance scale on the slantend rotating mount, an the DOF scale on the flat base (and, in this s/n range, with the diamond focus index)... this one is the way round as in the older Elmars... maybe a confirmation that is a non standard item for internal usage.

Well seen, as you say the scale does not correspond to the sight of its serial number, this one and black. A small "R" is present at the 5,6 maybe this can explain some things or not? 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 6 Stunden schrieb luigi bertolotti:

maybe a confirmation that is a non standard item for internal usage.

this could very well be Luigi. Within "regular" Elmars the lenses above 1 011 xxx were red scale only. And Elmars in the range 1046xxx until 1065xxx were predominantly with diamond. As this lens was intended for internal use Leitz used old stock of non RS mounts, I believe.

3 minutes ago, jerzy said:

this could very well be Luigi. Within "regular" Elmars the lenses above 1 011 xxx were red scale only. And Elmars in the range 1046xxx until 1065xxx were predominantly with diamond. As this lens was intended for internal use Leitz used old stock of non RS mounts, I believe.

Looks like this, indeed : "new" glass unit onto an "old" mount (not SO old ... closure to 22, and DOF scale accordingly, is anyway 1949-50)

I don't think Jim Lager complains if one puts an image from his book on our Forum...  here is New - York... 😉

• Like 1