Q2 weather sealing experiences?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I'm looking for a fixed lens back up camera that I can use in moderately harsh conditions (rain/dust). I see that the Q2 is rated IP52, does anyone here have experience with this camera in the conditions I have described? The camera I'm searching for will be used for documentary style photography in everything from jungles to deserts.

7 hours ago, Mute-on said:

A few discussions to get you started …

Thank you for posting these links, based on the feedback it sounds like the Q2 would be okay for a light sprinkle but not harsh conditions.

• Like 1

vor 11 Stunden schrieb BrettW:

I'm looking for a fixed lens back up camera that I can use in moderately harsh conditions (rain/dust).

I use my Q2 everywhere, my Nikon D800 too including 3 Weeks traveling Oman including 2 days and one night in the Desert there.
Just treat the Q2 with care, no pouring rain ( a umbrella works great) and not leaving her on the dashboard and she will be fine.
I have a watertight backpack to carry the Q2 when conditions may become harsh and that works for me.
If I should use her under extreme conditions (tornados, small boats, extensive desert or dusty places then I would buy the underwater housing for her.

Chris

Advertisement (gone after registration)

39 minutes ago, PhotoCruiser said:

I use my Q2 everywhere, my Nikon D800 too including 3 Weeks traveling Oman including 2 days and one night in the Desert there.
Just treat the Q2 with care, no pouring rain ( a umbrella works great) and not leaving her on the dashboard and she will be fine.
I have a watertight backpack to carry the Q2 when conditions may become harsh and that works for me.
If I should use her under extreme conditions (tornados, small boats, extensive desert or dusty places then I would buy the underwater housing for her.

Chris

I would agree with Chris' assessment.  Sprinkle rain to light rain = doable; medium to heavy rain = no go. 

I covered my microphone (top) and speaker holes (back) with black gaffer's tape for extra protection against rain and dust in particular.  Naving these entry points for rain & dust in a weatherproofed camera seems counterproductive to me.

If you are kayaking or canoeing, a 10 liter size SealLine Baja Dry Bag will keep your Q2 safe in the event of capsizing or a major water splash entering the boat.  The Baja Dry Bag also will prevent your Q2 from sinking to to the bottom of a lake if you capsize.  Letting the bag fill with air before sealing it will create buoyancy for the bag and contents (test flotation before use, though - given the weight of the Q2, the 10 liter size bag should provide adequate buoyancy).

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1

vor 51 Minuten schrieb Herr Barnack:

I would agree with Chris' assessment.  Sprinkle rain to light rain = doable; medium to heavy rain = no go. 

I covered my microphone (top) and speaker holes (back) with black gaffer's tape for extra protection against rain and dust in particular.  Naving these entry points for rain & dust in a weatherproofed camera seems counterproductive to me.

If you are kayaking or canoeing, a 10 liter size SealLine Baja Dry Bag will keep your Q2 safe in the event of capsizing or a major water splash entering the boat.  The Baja Dry Bag also will prevent your Q2 from sinking to to the bottom of a lake if you capsize.  Letting the bag fill with air before sealing it will create buoyancy for the bag and contents (test flotation before use, though - given the weight of the Q2, the 10 liter size bag should provide adequate buoyancy).

You nailed it!

I never babied my cameras but i take reasonable care of it, and one is to have the camera in a bag who protect it from the current conditions.
Ways cheaper than a underwater housing would be those watertight camera bags to use the camera under harsh conditions

Chris

• Thanks 1

I’ve used my Q2 in heavy, persistent rain without any problems, aside from a greater tendency for my cheek to cause the field resizing by pressing on the rear screen which has reportedly been fixed in the latest firmware

13 hours ago, frame-it said:

Fuji X100v

Which it not weathersealed (unless you add a filter adapter + filter. But how effective is a simple filter ? 
Even though Fujifilm is not confident enough in its sealing to rate any of its cameras. 

Leica and Olympus are the only ones brave enough to IP rate their cameras. 

Keep in mind that deserts will destroy any existing camera on earth. 

Edited by nicci78

Of course it can resist. But sand and mud are bitches. That’s why manufacturers are more confident to tout about rain, humidity and freeze resistance than sands. 

So just get ready to trash the camera at one point. 

Edited by nicci78

Hey Britt,

The durability and design to handle terrible weather is indeed an attribute of the Leica Q2. In fact it has shown me and otherQ2 users how well built it is. I find it surprising,  you would base purchasing a Leica Q2 on this  factor because it  can hold up to wet and lousy weather. The Q2 is so much more not only a durable tool but because of its design it opens up a new way to express yourself and a lot of it is to have  precision in your hip pocket. It really does make fine images. Buy it now and don't look back, Regards,

Fred Ullrich

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FredUllrich said:

Hey Britt,

The durability and design to handle terrible weather is indeed an attribute of the Leica Q2. In fact it has shown me and otherQ2 users how well built it is. I find it surprising,  you would base purchasing a Leica Q2 on this  factor because it  can hold up to wet and lousy weather. The Q2 is so much more not only a durable tool but because of its design it opens up a new way to express yourself and a lot of it is to have  precision in your hip pocket. It really does make fine images. Buy it now and don't look back, Regards,

Fred Ullrich

Hi Fred,

Thank you for your feedback, I recently got to try out the Q2 in a boutique in Jakarta...it is a beautiful camera that seems to be extremely well thought out. I'm not basing a possible purchase solely on weather sealing but it is a big factor for me. I often travel to countries and regions with harsh conditions, as a matter of fact I live in West Papua, Indonesia...one of the wettest places on the planet. Each camera I own has a different purpose in how, when and where I use it...I'm just trying to figure out if the Q2 can fill my need for a tough point and shoot camera.

-Brett

19 hours ago, nicci78 said:

Good point, I may want to purchase a relatively inexpensive camera for a trip to such a region 🤔

Am 2.5.2021 um 23:01 schrieb nicci78:

Well, that a depends on hoy you treat your camera. My D800 and 4 Lenses survived easily 2 days and one night in the desert.
Just protect the camera as much as possible from dust and sand.

Good point, I may want to purchase a relatively inexpensive camera for a trip to such a region 🤔

If I should use a camera for a long period in the Desert or under very humid conditions I would buy a waterproof/dustproof camera,
the Olympus ones for example. But they are far from Leica photo quality, but still surprisingly good.

Chris

vor 13 Stunden schrieb Victor12:

I put gaffer’s tape on the holes and intuitively this seems like it could help. Anyone else try this?

I did and I would do it again

as a matter of fact I live in West Papua, Indonesia...one of the wettest places on the planet.

Order a dry cabinet to store the camera. That is what I have now in Costa Rica what is very humid as well

Chris