Advertisement (gone after registration)

When I owned an M2, Don Goldberg had a few plug in M4 style take up spools. These were different from the Leica quick load kits. It looked like a M4 and later take up with the tulip slots. It would snap in to the body in place of the removable spool and you could load the camera with the same drop the film in, pull the leader across and wind on. The biggest problem was the baseplate was lacking the wheel that keeps the film from slipping while being wound on your the take up. If your spool is not removable, it may have been modified. 

1 hour ago, AceVentura1986 said:

So, I seem to recall that the M3s had a loose take-up spool that was later made fixed to the body in the M4s and beyond but I can't seem to get the take-up spool off my M3. How can I tell if this M3 was modified with the M4 take-up spool?

Hello Ace,

The original M3 spool 14022 looks like a little tube with a wide washer wrapped around it when it is in the camera. You can NOT see the film wrapped around the spool center.

The "quick load" spool 14260 has a swirl like a "snail" when you look into the camera when the spool is in place. In the center of this spool is a shiny little tube which  comes down so that a person can grab the shiny tube to remove the snail from the camera enough to free the frame counter so that it returns to -2. Not necessary to remove part way with M2, M1 & MD.

There is also a removable M5 spool 14192. It looks similar to the NON removable M4 spool which, because it is part of the camera, does NOT have a separate part number.

The NON removableM4 spool, sometimes called a "tulip", because it looks similar to the flower, has separate side sections with no center tube.

Which do you have? A photo, if possible, might help.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Thanks 1

Here a view from the side. I’ll attach a second view as well. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Here a second view. Sorry for the second post but the website prevented me from uploading more than one file. 

Hello Ace,

Everything looks like they are supposed  to in both photographs.

That looks like an original M3, etc. removable spool that came with the camera when it was new. Or a replacement of the same. Not 1 of the "quick load" or "tulip" updates.

You should be able to simply hold the little "nubbin" sticking out on the bottom & pull it straight out.

Please remember that cameras are like people: If you try to force them to do something you are probably doing something wrong.

Please try & then get back to us whether it comes out or not.

Best Regards,

Michael

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

You should be able to simply hold the little "nubbin" sticking out on the bottom & pull it straight out.

Please remember that cameras are like people: If you try to force them to do something you are probably doing something wrong.

Please try & then get back to us whether it comes out or not.

Best Regards,

Michael

Michael, yes, that was my concern. I thought it would come out easier and was afraid to force it. However, after your review I grasped it firmly and it pulled out smoothly. Thank you for your help. 

I’m sure I’ll have more questions and will post photos of the M3 later today or tomorrow. 

Thanks again 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When you slide the film under the clip of the take up spool, make sure it's even with the bottom of the spool and it's far enough in to see the directional arrow.

Edited by madNbad
  • Like 1

So, I've got two more issues. First, the rangefinder is well out of alignment at infinity so I'm going to need to have it adjusted, maybe a CLA too. More importantly, however, is the rangefinder patch: it is woefully dim with very poor contrast. I think this might be a result of the patch's illumination window which appears a bit dark. Is this normal? If not, can this be changed during a CLA?

Thanks in advance, again.

Edited by AceVentura1986

Hello Ace,

These are devices that were meant to be serviced on a regular basis so that after the service they would be essentially "as good as new". A number of people writing on this Forum have commented on how much better their cameras were after routine servicing. That triangle on the left side of the frame illumination window, as you look at it, is  present in a lot of M3 range/viewfinder mechanisms. There are at least 3 versions of the range/viewfinder that were made for the M3. Along with a number of changes in other parts of the M3 over time.

Best Regards,

Michael

• Thanks 1

Thank you all. I will make arrangements to send it for a CLA. Does anyone have any recommendations? Don Goldberg? Sherry Krauter? Should I just send it into Leica NJ? Germany?

Also, here are the larger photos of the M3.

• Like 1

Hello Ace,

You have a nice early M3 without a frame selector lever. It originally was a 2 stroke wind. Altho some of these early versions were converted to single stroke wind at later dates.

There is a flat slotted screw head instead of 2, or sometimes 1, red dots/dot on the rewind which is another indicator of its being an early model. Along with a number of other features. All M3's work equally well. 

You might have a collectible camera here. Leitz/Leica have always been in this position: Is this a collector's item or a user's item. Luckily, in many instances, it can often be both.

Nice camera.

Best Regards,

Michael

• Like 1

Youxin Ye brought my 55 Dual Stroke M3 back into good condition and did a fine job. I've used DAG for may other cameras, and he always does excellent work. Contact both and see what their backlogs, etc. are currently.

Hello Everybody,

If someone wants to use any coupled Leicameter on an M3, or a later "M" camera with a notch in the center between "2" and "5" or slightly offset between "2" and "4", the shutter speed triangle on the meter wheel may, or may not, line up with a shutter speed being used. Whichever type of meter is used with whichever type of camera. The camera will use the "clicked" position that the shutter speed dial under the wheel on the meter is set to. The reading on the aperture scale will be accurate. Just set that reading with NO adjustment.

Best Regards,

Michael

I wonder why there is so much space under this.

vor 10 Stunden schrieb Michael Geschlecht:

There are at least 3 versions of the range/viewfinder that were made for the M3

with the exception of one they have been transparent to the user. However, starting from 919xxx DOF markings have been added to the patch mask

may be found as well on earlier cameras if added during repair.

vor 11 Stunden schrieb AceVentura1986:

it is woefully dim with very poor contrast. I think this might be a result of the patch's illumination window which appears a bit dark

on your big photo it looks good. Rangefinder windows are the small rectangle to the left and the viewer, the other rectangle is for frame illumination only. Could be that glass inside or rangefiner glass is foggy and will be cleaned during CLA, but I am afraid that the silvering (halfmirror) within the main prism in rangefinder is a problem and either prism only or the whole rangefinder assy needs to be replaced. I know that DAG has a lot of  spares, he might have as well for early M3.

Re vulcanite - it is great, I would leave it and let repair

Edited by jerzy
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

I wonder why there is so much space under this.

Because you held the space bar down for a while or hit Enter quite a few times before saving. ;)

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jerzy said:

... but I am afraid that the silvering (halfmirror) within the main prism in rangefinder is a problem and either prism only or the whole rangefinder assy needs to be replaced. I know that DAG has a lot of  spares, he might have as well for early M3. Re vulcanite - it is great, I would leave it and let repair

That’s exactly what it feels like, the slivering has worn. As for the vulcanite, I wasn’t aware this was repairable so I just assumed i would replace it. When I send this in for the CLA I’ll ask about the repair as I want to keep this as close to original as possible. 

Youxin Ye got back to me yesterday. He said it’s a six month wait but I could ask for it “rushed” service. I’ll check w DAG and Sherry later today and decide on a tech then. As far as I can tell, all three are highly regarded. Is this correct?