Q2 and Noise Reduction Software

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is a small test of two noise reduction tools: DeepPrime in DxO PhotoLab 4 (also available in cheaper DxO PureRAW) and Topaz DeNoise AI. I have pushed all images in LrC (Exposure: +1.45, Shadows: +74). The image excerpts are all at 100%

ISO 100:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

ISO 6400:

ISO 6400 with Topaz AI:

ISO 6400 with DxO PhotoLab 4 (DeepPrime):

I am very happy with the results that I get via DxO tools and recommend them highly. The only issue is that not all cameras are supported (noise reduction is run on the raw file). DxO supports both Q2 and Q.

• Like 2

I have also tested DxO DeepPRIME Noise Reduction (integrated into the new DxO PureRAW converter) against Topaz DeNoise AI and came to the same conclusion. The DxO DeepPRIME denoising results are exceptional good.
The only downside with DxO PureRAW is that it has slight tendency to oversharpen some images and you can not control the pre sharpening of the RAW file. But nevertheless I highly recommend it for high ISO shots.

• Like 1

I’ve been test driving the PureRaw (unlimited trial version) since its release. The results were, simply put, out of this world. It now allows me to bump up the shutter speed with no concern when necessary. And the Q2 files are very usable because of that up to 6,400 by my standards.

I was also able to revive the very noisy raw files captured by older cameras ages ago. Think I will complete the purchase before promotion ends, no brainer really.

Edit: one downside - Lightroom’s detail enhancement tool doesn’t work with the processed DNGs. Yes I’m greedy lol.

Edited by arriestocracy

14 hours ago, arriestocracy said:

I’ve been test driving the PureRaw (unlimited trial version) since its release. The results were, simply put, out of this world. It now allows me to bump up the shutter speed with no concern when necessary. And the Q2 files are very usable because of that up to 6,400 by my standards.

I was also able to revive the very noisy raw files captured by older cameras ages ago. Think I will complete the purchase before promotion ends, no brainer really.

Edit: one downside - Lightroom’s detail enhancement tool doesn’t work with the processed DNGs. Yes I’m greedy lol.

It is possible. Start Adobe Bridge, select the DxO DNG file, open it in Adobe Camera Raw (ACR). You can run detail enhancement in ACR.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, vedivv said:

I thought about processing every image with PureRaw first, but (1) Q2 post processing files are too large; (2) processing takes a long time even with latest desktop; and (3) photos under ISO400 look somewhat artificial.

So question: what is your workflow using PureRaw? 

Thanks!

I do not use PureRAW as it does not allow adjustments like PhotoLab. PhotoLab also integrates better in my Adobe workflow.

You can download a trial of PhotoLab and try it out. Note that the DxO generated linear DNG produces a bit wider image than ACR does.

My workflow with DxO PhotoLab:

- Select image in LrC, "Transfer to DxO PhotoLab 4"

- In DxO: Select DeepPrime; optional Lens Sharpness; turn on Chromatic Aberration; select Distortion and "Keep aspect ratio"; turn on Crop.

- In DxO: Export to Lightroom -> Export as DNG (Denoise and Optical Correction Only)

- Continue processing in Adobe software

I do not process every image with DxO.

The image size grows from approximately 85MB to 200MB because the output is a demosaiced file.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
Am 1.5.2021 um 10:55 schrieb reklovreklov:

I have also tested DxO DeepPRIME Noise Reduction (integrated into the new DxO PureRAW converter) against Topaz DeNoise AI and came to the same conclusion. The DxO DeepPRIME denoising results are exceptional good.
The only downside with DxO PureRAW is that it has slight tendency to oversharpen some images and you can not control the pre sharpening of the RAW file. But nevertheless I highly recommend it for high ISO shots.

The new DxO PureRAW version 1.5 now allows to toggle Lens Sharpness (as well as Distortion Correction) on or off which gives you the possibility to avoid oversharpening. So finally no downsides anymore 🙂 (at least for me...).

I turned of the sharpening in the deepprime processing as well, as it often creates artifacts.  Distortion correction is still useful.  

The only downside is speed.  I often leave it on overnight to process a few hundred photos, and only use it on raw files with ISO800 and above.

On 10/10/2021 at 10:16 AM, reklovreklov said:

The new DxO PureRAW version 1.5 now allows to toggle Lens Sharpness (as well as Distortion Correction) on or off which gives you the possibility to avoid oversharpening. So finally no downsides anymore 🙂 (at least for me...).

I find the DxO PhotoLab integrates better with LrC than PureRaw, especially since I do not apply it to every file.

• 3 weeks later...

I compared a shot at ISO 1600 with default metering. Images processed by DxO PL5 and DeepPrime + optical correction. The difference to LrC:

- DxO file has considerably less noise (difference may be reduced by appropriate use of LrC's Detail sliders)

- the distortion correction is better in DxO

- DxO image is "wider" (but same resolution).