Sell Q2 for 28mm Summilux or Summicron?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, pmendelson said:

Update: I was ready to get the Summicron when I found a used Summilux at a price I couldn’t refuse 😁

If you can find a lux with a great price, chances is that you can always sell without lost or make some profit! Congratulations! Looking forward to your pictures soon!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Q2 is important when you have kids and want to shoot video.  It's also a great travel camera if you can take only one small one.  It also has a macro capability. The 28 Lux is awesome and renders beautifully, making it a perfect companion for M10R and M10M.  It is on the longer/heavier side for those who really care about short-snouted lenses for M. I have both but if pressed hard...  I'm supposed to write something decisive here...  umm no...  I'd still keep both for now.:)

I had a Lux 28 and sold it promptly after a few weeks due to the weight and size. I just hated grabbing the camera with that lens attached. I went with the Summicron 28mm ASPH II. While it doesn't have the same rendering abilities as the Lux 28 (nothing does), it wasn't worth not wanting to shoot my camera anymore.

I had a Q2 twice. While I loved the camera and the way it rendered images, I never accepted inside me to have such poor AF performance on such an expensive camera, so it led me to sell it twice.  Missing the the 28 focal length, I bought the 28 Lux and discovered one of my favourite lenses of all times. I love it on film, I love it on my M10R, but where I use it the most in on my SL2S. It rendered very differently to the Q2, and in my opinion it's much nicer. At 1.4, it creates a sort of ci

I'm keeping the Q2 vs a 28mm M  for my M10. I have a 35M and 50M Summicron, plus a SL2 with 50,90, 24-90, TL55/135 and Sigma 100-200. I can use the Q2 when appropriate and it's easy for my wife to use. I'm still figuring out if I want to keep the M10. I love everything about the M10 except the hit and miss of perfectly focused or exposed photos. I feel live view is cheating with this camera, but I love shooting with the camera.  I mean, why have a rangefinder camera and have to use live view to focus? The SL2 is my favorite. With all the features of the SL2 combined with the awesome primes and Varios I constantly get my best photos.

The 28mm Summilux is the best lens I have ever owned and I have used plenty. However whether it is right for you depends on how you shoot. It is a large lens and unless you shoot it at max aperture often maybe you don’t absolutely need it. I shoot with the Q2 Monochrom now and for street I tend to set it to f4 to f8. If I had to shoot with the M10M the same way I likely would zone focus at f8 so the 28mm Summicron would be my choice or even the Summaron.

3 hours ago, rtai said:

The 28mm Summilux is the best lens I have ever owned and I have used plenty. However whether it is right for you depends on how you shoot. It is a large lens and unless you shoot it at max aperture often maybe you don’t absolutely need it. I shoot with the Q2 Monochrom now and for street I tend to set it to f4 to f8. If I had to shoot with the M10M the same way I likely would zone focus at f8 so the 28mm Summicron would be my choice or even the Summaron.

Funny enough I use my 28mm Summaron just like a ‘point and shoot’ - I set it to f8 on either my M10M or M10R and off you go. The Summilux is for a more ‘deliberate approach but I really like what these two lenses offer i.e. the most compact 28mm, with a vintage feel, for spontaneous street shooting etc and then the 1.4 for that unique cinematic look that I couldn’t get with the Q2. My GRIII just goes with me when I want to be ultra light and have AF & Snap focus.

4 minutes ago, Casey Jefferson said:

By the way is there some kind of correlation between the 28lux and M bodies?

I consistently wowed by the 28lux with M10 and particularly M10P (for God knows reason since they have same sensor). Less so with M240 and haven't yet seen convincing shots from M9.

I find that where it excels the most is on my SL2S. It's an incredible pair. never seen anything like it. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The 28lux with an M10* is really a special combintaion and has a unique cinematic unlike any other Leica modern lens. "Magic" yeah that's how I'd describe it as it nearly always creates something better than I anticipate; it's the one lens that renders photos in a way that you just can't wait to load it up in Lightroom and gauk at what it can do. I use this lens regularly on my M10P and M10M.  OK.. maybe I'm putting too much praise on a lens but its a good one for sure. If you can stomach the size and its hefty price, it's a lens you should consider if you like the 28 FOV.   

Edited by RMF

I initially bought the 28mm Summilux because rather than spending money on a new FF Leica I would spend it on a fast lens so to continue using the M8. The 1.4 max aperture would mean I can use the M8.2 at base iso and it effectively became a 35mm my preferred focal length. The 28mm Summilux is the best lens I have ever used but I wouldn’t have bought it just because of that reputation likewise I wouldn’t buy the 135/3.4 Apo just because some say is the best M lens ever if that focal length doesn’t work for me. But lately thanks to the Q2M I am totally into 28mm for street photography so am glad I have the Summilux. I might even get the Summaron since I tend to stop down to f8 for that anyway.