Sell Q2 for 28mm Summilux or Summicron?

pmendelson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

28mm is my preferred focal length.  I have a new M10R on the way with a 21mm SEM and 50mm Summilux, and already have the Q2, as well as the Ricoh GRIII (and iPhone 12 Pro Max, which is pretty good for very casual shooting at the 28mm focal length).  While the Q2 is a great tool, the 28mm Lux or Summicron on the M10R seem to be calling my name (I very briefly owned the 28mm Lux with a M10 - yes, I made the mistake of selling my M lenses and regret it).   

Without rehashing all the pros and cons of the Q2, I am thinking that since I already have the very capable Ricoh GRIII for auto-focus, portability and excellent files at the 28mm focal length (although on a crop sensor at f/2.8), perhaps I sell the Q2 and get the 28mm Summicron or Summilux instead.  I don't love the sensor on the Q2 at higher ISOs (noise and DR), and am looking for the same or better wonderful Leica 3D look to the files that I get with the 50 Lux.  

The Summicron is obviously a lot more affordable, and by most accounts is an amazing lens and is nice and small.  But I don't want to get the Summicron and start wondering if I should have sucked it up and gotten the Summilux for a little more magic wide open... 

Any thoughts to help push me one way or the other are appreciated!

Thanks

Peter

2 hours ago, pmendelson said:

Any thoughts to help push me one way or the other are appreciated!

For my preferred focal length, I first purchased the f/1.4 version and later the f/2 version.

For one of my less favorite focal lengths, I first purchased the f/3.5 version and later purchased the f/2 version.

I have been very happy with my decisions.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

Absolutely get the 28 lux. Thank me later.

Agree. I have a Q2 and if I had an M, no doubt I would dump the Q2 for the 28 lux. Everyone tries to make the Q2 sound like its a good alternative for the 28 lux, which it is for someone like me who has a SL2 but if I had the M the Q2 would be gone in a minute. 

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

12 minutes ago, Narsuitus said:

For my preferred focal length, I first purchased the f/1.4 version and later the f/2 version.

For one of my less favorite focal lengths, I first purchased the f/3.5 version and later purchased the f/2 version.

I have been very happy with my decisions.

So are you saying you bought the f/2 version in addition to, or instead of, the 1.4 version?  The Summicron's size and lower price is appealing, but I think I would still wonder just how much more I could get out of the 1.4....

1 minute ago, pmendelson said:

So are you saying you bought the f/2 version in addition to, or instead of, the 1.4 version?  The Summicron's size and lower price is appealing, but I think I would still wonder just how much more I could get out of the 1.4....

Yes, in my case I bought the f/1.4 version because I knew I needed the fast lens. Later, I bought an extra body and the body came with an f/2 lens. I had planned on selling the f/2 lens and keeping the body because I needed the body but did not need the lens. However, after trying the lens, I decided to keep it because I liked the smaller size for vacation traveling and for shooting street. The faster f/1.4, however, is still my favorite lens for all other subjects.

I have 28 lux.  Also 35 corn and 50 apo.  At first I thought it was useless to have 28mm along with 35mm and the two are close.  But they are very different and each has a specific function.  I bought 28 lux silver limited edition at a great price.  And I was surprised.  I shoot with M10monochrome.  And the combination of 28lux with my camera is amazing.  I recommend lux.  I plan to keep the 35corn for the m6 and buy a 35corn.

Best 

kamyar

I had a Lux 28 and sold it promptly after a few weeks due to the weight and size. I just hated grabbing the camera with that lens attached. I went with the Summicron 28mm ASPH II. While it doesn't have the same rendering abilities as the Lux 28 (nothing does), it wasn't worth not wanting to shoot my camera anymore.

• Like 5

The Q2 is important when you have kids and want to shoot video.  It's also a great travel camera if you can take only one small one.  It also has a macro capability.

The 28 Lux is awesome and renders beautifully, making it a perfect companion for M10R and M10M.  It is on the longer/heavier side for those who really care about short-snouted lenses for M.

I have both but if pressed hard...  I'm supposed to write something decisive here...  umm no...  I'd still keep both for now.:)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

For what it's worth, I have an M Monochrom/M2/M4/M5. I've found that the 50 Summilux and the 28 Summicron compliment each other beautifully, right down to both 'drawing' in a very similar way. 

I've no experience of the Q2, but it looks fantastic.

I note that you have a Ricoh GR3. Would be interested to know how you find it. I got a GR3 in January 2020. I didn't immediately gel with it, but it has rapidly become the camera I take most of my pictures on. It's lightning fast, easy to use one-handed, and the files are superb. Using an M camera now feels like a slow and deliberate process. And nothing wrong with that at all. But I'm able to get shots with the GR3 that I don't think I could get with a Leica M.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, colint544 said:

For what it's worth, I have an M Monochrom/M2/M4/M5. I've found that the 50 Summilux and the 28 Summicron compliment each other beautifully, right down to both 'drawing' in a very similar way. 

I've no experience of the Q2, but it looks fantastic.

I note that you have a Ricoh GR3. Would be interested to know how you find it. I got a GR3 in January 2020. I didn't immediately gel with it, but it has rapidly become the camera I take most of my pictures on. It's lightning fast, easy to use one-handed, and the files are superb. Using an M camera now feels like a slow and deliberate process. And nothing wrong with that at all. But I'm able to get shots with the GR3 that I don't think I could get with a Leica M.

I like the GRIII a lot, but to be honest I haven't been using as much since I stopped commuting into NYC - there it was really great, although of course it doesn't provide the same tactile experience of using the Q2 or M.  When I start commuting again it will get more use.

• Like 1

Just now, pmendelson said:

I like the GRIII a lot, but to be honest I haven't been using as much since I stopped commuting into NYC - there it was really great, although of course it doesn't provide the same tactile experience of using the Q2 or M.  When I start commuting again it will get more use.

Absolutely, and of course the sensor is smaller than that of the Q2 or M. But I was surprised how much that little GR3 got under my skin. I made an A2 print from a picture I made on it, and was surprised at the quality of it.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to go with.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, colint544 said:

Absolutely, and of course the sensor is smaller than that of the Q2 or M. But I was surprised how much that little GR3 got under my skin. I made an A2 print from a picture I made on it, and was surprised at the quality of it.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to go with.

Yes, I have made some larger prints with the GRIII and they were surprisingly good. I also got the wide angle adapter for the Ricoh - something you can't do with the Q2....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pmendelson said:

Thanks all.  I might be able to swing both the 28mm Summicron and keep the Q2, but if I go for the Summilux I'd definitely have to sell the Q2.  Faced with that choice, what would you do?

I would sell the Q2 and get a Q2M and then get a 28 2.8 Elmarit or the CV 24 1.4 for the M10-R.

If I were to get a 28 Summicron, I would get the Safari version 🙃

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

I would sell the Q2 and get a Q2M and then get a 28 2.8 Elmarit or the CV 24 1.4 for the M10-R.

If I were to get a 28 Summicron, I would get the Safari version 🙃

Thanks. I had the Q2M but can't live without color, and have a 21mm SEM for wider than 28mm.  I would love to see what the Safari version looks like on a chrome body - I couldn't find one on Google images.  I'm going to start a new post about that since I am really curious....

6 minutes ago, pmendelson said:

Thanks. I had the Q2M but can't live without color, and have a 21mm SEM for wider than 28mm.  I would love to see what the Safari version looks like on a chrome body - I couldn't find one on Google images.  I'm going to start a new post about that since I am really curious....

Best deal going right now for the Safari 28 is from Popflash. Says demo, but they usually arrive as new and unopened ;) 

I would prefer it not just for the color but also for the slide-out hood.

Edited by hdmesa
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

Best deal going right now for the Safari 28 is from Popflash. Says demo, but they usually arrive as new and unopened ;) 

I would prefer it not just for the color but also for the slide-out hood.

Agree - love the slide out hood like the 50 Lux.  Popflash is great (although they have a black Summicron for $650 less than the Safari version...)

Edited by pmendelson