Is this acceptable for a new Leica M-A?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Send it back if it bothers you - nothing wrong with that.

On the other hand, if the film rails feel smooth, they are smooth, regardless of what they look like.  Also, it is outside the image area, so in the off chance it does scratch, it won't affect your photos.

• 1 month later...

I got a new MP this year. I had to return my first one because there were marks on the shutter and the infinity alignment was off. Also at one point the frame line switcher got stuck.

The replacement came through and it had these slight marks on the silver railings. I also realised that my base plate latch wasn't as tight as my previous one. Also recently some of the red paint in the two dots of the circular film advance somehow leaked out. I've also got dust inside the viewfinder window and I've only had it for 3 months!!

I say that to say this, none of them are perfect. If you keep changing them you will always find something, but the cameras are made to work, not to be inspected under fine light. The person putting it together at Leica may make different minor adjustments to each MA/MP made. I've learned to live with it and remember you have a 5 year warranty! 

It sucks from an OCD perspective, I too share that desire for the perfect M camera. Anything hand made will have these type of variances, which is why machined products offer a closer to perfect product each time round, it eliminates human errors. 

Over time the paint will also wear away, it will never remain perfect. Most people who think they have a perfect camera most likely have a different definition of perfection to you. Comparison is the thief of joy.  

When it's all said and done, you don't want to look back on your life and think you weren't out there shooting with your dream camera because it had a minor mark on there. Think of all those moments that'll be missed and all that time lost. 

I too became obsessed with these little things but to be honest I've made some of the best photos with my MP, and it might not be a 100% perfect but I'd say it's 97%, and I don't want to focus on the 3%. 

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Speaking of imperfections in new M-As, mine also has one that bugs me a bit (I admit, I do suffer from OCD). The frame counter is slightly misaligned.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I know it's not a problem. The frame counter works fine, and the misalignment is perfectly constant over the entire range. Besides, even some presentation photos from Leica show it. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about. But I still wish it were correctly aligned. How come you don't see such mistakes in cameras that are ten times cheaper? 

• Thanks 1

Mine is a bit better, but also not perfect either. Doesn’t bother me though. I suspect this is because it is assembled by humans, which are less reliable and subject to more sample variation, than machines. And they generally have other things on their mind while they work as well. If you want “perfection”, better just get something mass-produced. I have never held two mechanical M’s that looked and felt exactly the same. They all have their own personality. 

• Like 2

While searching 'perfection' ( NOT attainable for me simple human being) in finish or whatever in the 'camera/lens/hood/etc', don't we lost the precious time to use the instruments,

for what they are intended 'taking photos' ?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

While searching 'perfection' ( NOT attainable for me simple human being) in finish or whatever in the 'camera/lens/hood/etc', don't we lost the precious time to use the instruments,

Yes I think so. The best pictures tend to happen while looking around, not looking at the camera. 

Edited by roelandinho
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, roelandinho said:

I suspect this is because it is assembled by humans, which are less reliable and subject to more sample variation, than machines. And they generally have other things on their mind while they work as well. If you want “perfection”, better just get something mass-produced. I have never held two mechanical M’s that looked and felt exactly the same. They all have their own personality. 

Good point. 👍

4 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

Searching for perfection is pointless, I agree. But some imperfections tend to jump out at you whether you want it or not. 🙂

On 7/9/2021 at 3:51 AM, Vlad Soare said:

Speaking of imperfections in new M-As, mine also has one that bugs me a bit (I admit, I do suffer from OCD). The frame counter is slightly misaligned.

I know it's not a problem. The frame counter works fine, and the misalignment is perfectly constant over the entire range. Besides, even some presentation photos from Leica show it. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about. But I still wish it were correctly aligned. How come you don't see such mistakes in cameras that are ten times cheaper? 

It would bother me too, especially when my much cheaper and older M6s and M2 are perfectly aligned.

My two M2 has also the counter perfectly aligned.

Only one thing that does NOT bother me,

on one M2 that I used some years ago had the counter disk sticky (difficult to turn), so I did use without resetting it when loading films.

The sticky counter was cured in CLA, since then I don't use the M2's counter 🤥 anymore and still happy 😇 to save my nails, for many years after that.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/29/2021 at 7:17 PM, leica-curious said:

I've wanted an M-A for years and was finally able to get one for myself. There were a couple of areas that caught my eye and I was wondering if this was acceptable for a store purchased, brand new out of box M-A?

I haven't seen any M-As in person so I created this post to get feedback from the community to determine if these anomalies are normal and expected.

• Abrasions on the upper film rail guide
  • Some sort of spots on the shutter curtain
    • Center at the upper edge
    • Upper edge to the right of the previous
    • Lower right corner
  • Scratch in base plate the interior coating

To me absolutely unacceptable! It must be like a Swiss watch. perfect!
My new M-A taken at the Leica Florence store scratched the negative.
Leica immediately replaced me with a new body. 
The second body is perfect and that's fine. I am very satisfied
Edited by MarcoIT

10 minutes ago, Vlad Soare said:

I'm pretty sure Swiss watches have issues, too.

They most certainly do. I bought a brand new Omega Speedmaster and after two weeks the second timer button fell off. Replaced under warrantee. In spite haveing been recalibrated by Omega a couple of times it is no where as accurate as my cheepo Seiko. It is a lovely watch though.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Budfox said:

I am wondering - is there an end to this story. What did you decide to do in the end?

My analyzing may be wrong ...

No end to the flaws stories 🤞.

As old ( many decades ) Leitz/Leica user, not always new products were 'perfect' at any loose meaning.

I had some flaws with Leica R/M/LTM all over my life new or used.

I just adapt my practice, accept the fact, then when possible have them repaired.

How many times (countless), my photo equipments had some accidents (broken/injured) when I was abroad, so having kind of backup was excellent idea ( proving this so my times ) .