Fill flash of least resistance for Leica S 007

ardbeg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm new to the Leica S system but very much loving the camera. For the past 20 years I've been shooting exclusively available light landscape, portraiture, street, and architecture across several camera systems. I'm looking to get a camera mounted flash for some occasional fill flash for outdoor portraits. For context, the last time I used a flash was probably a Speedlight on a Nikon D70. What is the flash of "least resistance" for occasional use on a Leica S 007 (and an SL2)? And (presuming it is a Leica flash), which model (aren't there two)? I shoot with a 30, 70, and 120. Thank you.

You might consider Leica SF58, it works fine on my S 006 and I suppose on the 007 as well it can be found cheaper used than the other Leica flashes and does not have the cartoonish color display of the SF64

- Matti

Advertisement (gone after registration)

One other note, I don’t have CS lenses so does HSS support add sufficient flexibility to non-CS lens flash scenarios to warrant the cost increase of those Leica flash models which support it compared to older models?

I have had the SF64 for a long time and the extra power in it works very well for bouncing (I do not use direct straight on flash).  The HSS is good as well and the power adjustments in manual are wider than any of the other SF flashes (Leica brand) by about 1 stop.  It is big, but works well if you bounce.  I only use in manual mode for fill in because it won’t trip the flash if there is enough light, just easier to get what you want in manual (IMHO).  Yes ‘cartoonish’ display a little weird, touch screen and color LCD, but you can get used to it.  Here’s a shot from yesterday (son ready for graduation with masters).  It is an SL2 shot, but I get the same results from the S007. (Click for full size with details) SOC no adjustments.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by davidmknoble
  • Like 1

I think the "flash of the least resistance" is the Profoto A1, especially if you have CS lenses. I'd suggest the Nikon version (same pin layout as Leica) which is now discounted to about half the original price, after the introduction of the newer A1X and A10 (same power just Bluetooth, wifi). Only works in manual of course. But given the limitations of the SF64 (HSS only working in TTL and TTL not firing if it deems the scene sufficiently lit), I don't think it is such an issue.  The Profoto is compatible with a lot of accessories, recycles very fast and has good quality of light. Alternatively, the B10 if you need more power but still want to keep things portable. Get a good quality variable ND filter and you are all set (with the SL2 and the S lenses without leaf shutters). I think this is money better spent than the Leica branded Nissin speedlites.

• Like 3

I have to agree with the A1 recommendation. If you are ok with forgoing automatic exposure, you gain a flash that is substantially more capable than most other options. The battery and modeling light alone are worth the extra cost, in my opinion. Additionally, they are very easy to trigger and control with a profoto air remote. I just use the generic one, which fires just fine using the Leica hotshoes. It also works seamlessly with the larger Profoto ecosystem, which is logical and capable. It is just a shame that they have not yet made some sort of partnership, as Leica and Profoto are in similar niches of the market...both companies sell well designed and high performing tools with a long pedigree at the high end of the market.

• Like 2