Firmware-Update: Leica Q2 & Q2 Monochrome

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, Cheesehead said:

On a future update it would be nice if the photo/file number did not reset to zero.

After updating, I loaded my saved settings back from the SD card but then had to manually bump up the photo number so that I don't have multiple photos with the same file number.

Also still no way to put a Name, or copyright statement in the Exif file.

I appreciate the update and will have to dive into the changes.

My OLDER Canons had that problem. If I manually stored the last exposure back to the SD card (or CF or MicroDrive)  the OS would very agreeably bump up the next new exposure taken to follow suit. Sadly my NEWER Leica is not so agreeable (tut tut). 

Derived a half-way house workaround. Put the last DNG exposure back onto the SD taking care to replicate its original DCIM directory (eg 101LEICA). Put the SD back in and find the zone 4 menu line 'Reset Image Numbering' > YES. This took the OS to the NEXT DCIM, so mine is now on 102LEICA, but at least I won't have duplicate or worse lower numbers out of sync. 

Another omission from the (un)helpful PDF...

I'm confused. First, on the Leica website it says "Firmware Leica Q (Typ 116)" not Q2, though instructions say Q2.

Second, I downloaded two files:  Q116_31_.quf  and EN_Q2_Gen+FW-UPD+[PixMap+Touch-AF]+Release+Notes.pdf.

I'm not sure which contains the update. Since a pdf doesn't sound or look like update code, I just put the quf file on the card and followed instructions. Message I saw was no firmware update was found on SD card.

Then, I put the pdf file on, same response.

???

@tnturnerx1 Please take great(er) care... If you actually manage to succeed in your attempts to burn the wrong firmware into the wrong camera you are very likely to DESTROY your unspecified Leica camera. I don't even want to know exactly which camera you are trying update. It's your responsibility not mine, I just implore you to step back and re-evaluate your position. You appear to be in the wrong frame of mind to be attempting this procedure on whatever Leica camera in your possession.

>>I'm confused. First, on the Leica website it says "Firmware Leica Q (Typ 116)" not Q2, though instructions say Q2.
You're not only confused but mistaken too. The Q is Typ 116, I also have one. I have no idea as to what instructions you are looking that say to Q2. You must get it correct.

>>Second, I downloaded two files:  Q116_31_.quf  and EN_Q2_Gen+FW-UPD+[PixMap+Touch-AF]+Release+Notes.pdf.
Two files are usually made available - a quf and pdf. That Q116_31_.quf file is for the Q, I know because I have one and 31 is the last stable release issued. It would imply you are browsing the wrong area (unless you really are looking to update a Q). The other one you cite looks like it might be a helper PDF for a Q2... but I don't have a Q2 and will not comment further. The  two do not fit together. Maybe you should clear your browser cache. What you are citing does not make entire sense.

>>I'm not sure which contains the update. Since a pdf doesn't sound or look like update code, I just put the quf file on the card and followed instructions. Message I saw was no firmware update was found on SD card.
The f/w update is contained in a quf file. Help is contained in a pdf file. To update the firmware you do put the correct quf file on the SD card and follow instructions. The message was probably correct in that it found no APPROPRIATE update file on the SD card (probably for the wrong camera etc). Basic checking is necessarily done to try to stop you destroying your Leica.

>>Then, I put the pdf file on, same response.
Please do not guess which file to use - updating firmware inappropriately can destroy your Leica.

Clear your browser cache. Go back to this thread's original post. Choose the route URL according to whatever camera you have and follow instructions. I cannot advise anything further.

2 hours ago, tnturnerx1 said:

I'm confused. First, on the Leica website it says "Firmware Leica Q (Typ 116)" not Q2, though instructions say Q2.

Second, I downloaded two files:  Q116_31_.quf  and EN_Q2_Gen+FW-UPD+[PixMap+Touch-AF]+Release+Notes.pdf.

I'm not sure which contains the update. Since a pdf doesn't sound or look like update code, I just put the quf file on the card and followed instructions. Message I saw was no firmware update was found on SD card.

Then, I put the pdf file on, same response.

???

Clicking on this link will (currently) download Q2 firmware 3.1:

https://en.leica-camera.com/content/download/205103/5445293/version/1/file/Q2___31_.lfu

Clicking on this link will (currently) download Q2 and Q2M firmware update instructions:

https://en.leica-camera.com/content/download/205169/5445926/version/2/file/EN_Q2_Gen+FW-UPD+[PixMap%2BTouch-AF]+Release+Notes.pdf

I'm having a problem I've never had before when updating the firmware. I downloaded the Q2 update file but the camera says file not found when I go to update. I even tried downloading directly to my SD card instead of downloading to my laptop and then copying to the SD card, and still the camera says it's not recognized. I wonder if Edge is doing something to the download.

I too had a weird experience. If you click on the Downloads navigation link on the Q2 page it takes you to a page that has download buttons for all the Q2 FW update documentation as well as all the Q2 documentation and brochures. The FW download button at the top of the list is actually for 'FIRMWARE LEICA Q (TYP 116) - VERS. 3.1' and gives you Q116_31_.quf. 

Clicking the Firmware navigation link (instead of Downloads) takes you to the correct page with Q2 FW (which is actually at the bottom of the document list).

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 minutes ago, brickftl said:

I'm having a problem I've never had before when updating the firmware. I downloaded the Q2 update file but the camera says file not found when I go to update. I even tried downloading directly to my SD card instead of downloading to my laptop and then copying to the SD card, and still the camera says it's not recognized. I wonder if Edge is doing something to the download.

okay now it worked AFTER I installed Chrome and downloaded from it instead of Edge. Go figure.

vor 10 Minuten schrieb Mickysixty:

Well, this is the link from post #1. Do you want to restart the thread 🤣

Regarding my previous comment about having a problem updating.  I went to sleep and woke up with the answer. I should've seen it when I saw ref to "3.1".  Implies there was a version 3, which I missed.  I DID notice the ".1" but most software is cumulative, and 3.1 (my thought) would have also contained changes for 3.0.  Firmware, rightfully so, doesn't do this.  I downloaded 3.0, updated, then did 3.1.  All Ok.  Thanks for responses.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all,

Has anybody used the "Red dot Forum" as a source for the updates?

I am curious if there's any difference between  them and the Leica website. I

think it will be the same.  I did my update using the RDF  forum instead of the Leica site.I

wasn't paying attention..   it was successful anyhow.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Giguchan:

Hey all,

Has anybody used the "Red dot Forum" as a source for the updates?

I am curious if there's any difference between  them and the Leica website. I

think it will be the same.  I did my update using the RDF  forum instead of the Leica site.I

wasn't paying attention..   it was successful anyhow.

Why should that be different? Why do you not diwnload from official Leica site?