Firmware-Update: Leica Q2 & Q2 Monochrome

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica has updated the Leica Q2 (V 3.1) and Leica Q2 Monochrome (V 1.1) firmware.

The Improvements:

• Pixel mapping to hide defective sensor pixels.
  • Extended setting options for Touch AF when the electronic viewfinder is activated

» Download Leica Q2 Firmware V 3.1

» Download Leica Q2 Monochrome Firmware V 1.1

• Thanks 2

• jaapv pinned this topic

Delighted to see this as I had been in contact with Leica about the challenge of left eye users (like me) keeping our noses off the screen so it didn't activate the touch AF. This has now been addressed in the firmware update and for me now makes the camera perfect - until the next upgrade that is!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, LUF Admin said:

1) The associated help PDF on Page 3 cites: "Data & time, as well as the preferred language will have to be set up again after the restart. Relevant prompts will appear on screen." Maybe 'Data' ought to be 'Date'? Oh and actually none of the above had to be set up again after the f/w's restart though the above settings screen was shown (nothing needed to be changed despite the 'help' note). FWIW There was no clear exit path proposed after the unchanged 'changes'. I had to guess what to do and when to do it, I turned the camera off and on again.  

2) Yes, there is now a "Pixel Mapping" menu option. Entering it gives me a Yes or No option. Pressing Yes results in some presumed activity followed by the instruction to restart the camera. After the restart the "Pixel Mapping" menu option continues to show Yes or No options... There isn't an indication in that area whether pixel mapping is now 'active' or working or what... 

3) Before doing the v1.1 f/w update I 'opted' to do the save to 'Save profiles on SD Card' There is now a file on the SD. Afterwards the profile is neither loaded, active or even in the camera's menu. Yes, there is an 'import' and so I manually recovered my missing profile. This helpful information is not in the associated 'help' PDF.

4) The double tap of the LCD to reset the (auto-only - doesn't work in manual) pointer to centre is good. Previously, after manually driving the pointer around, in bright ambience I found it difficult to get it back to centre for the next picture. If this is a new feature then thank you, if it not then still thank you for that newly found information:-) The double tap reset works even while actively looking through the EVF but is not able to re-point in the same way but I can learn to live with that. Previously I have avoided the 'touch' part of operations as my right face cheek seemed to drive the touch logic to do unexpected things. 

5) Glitch with the double tap pointer centre reset. At some point all the thumbing around caused the positioning to 'ignore' the DOUBLE tap and works the latter as a single (re-pointing) tap. Similarly in EVF the double tap reset is then non-existent as re-pointing in EVF is beyond the logic capability. However, my workaround to the rest of us Leica users, a press of the centre joystick button seems to regain double tap capability... oh well 😎

Hope the pixel mapping *really* works. Good job though the beta testers should've mentioned the lack of process clarity.

Edited by piran
typos/eyesight :-| ...added more stuff

18 minutes ago, DaveNC said:

On the Q2M the Zoom / Lock button works as a back-button focus just like I expect.

Agreed (when optioned for AF-L).

Mine is normally optioned for back-button Exposure... Menu > Customise Control > Zoom/Lock-Button > AE-L

The back-button isn't so easy to 'find' as it is on my other Q as it's only just proud of the bodywork:-/

4 hours ago, Karim Helal said:

Is it possible to update the firmware from IPad or iPhone..thank u

I've not tried it, but in theory you could plug a card reader into an iPad Pro's USB socket and use Files to move the downloaded firmware file onto the card.

2 hours ago, AllanC said:

Went through the process on my two-month-old Q2 and got a message that the update was older than my existing firmware.

Interesting. The menu has a line for indicating or otherwise confirming the current firmware level. Also if you have a line at the bottom saying Pixel Mapping then it's likely that message is correct! If so it's interesting that the publication of v1.1 has been 'delayed' at least for the 2mths of your purchase and any lead time to manufacture your camera and get it out to the supplier.

Edited by piran
typos/eyesight :-|

3 hours ago, DaveNC said:

On the Q2M the Zoom / Lock button works as a back-button focus just like I expect.  What isn't working for you?

That is not the standard BBF behavior. Focusing is not removed from the shutter button and one needs to lock focus after each shot.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, piran said:

1) The associated help PDF on Page 3 cites: "Data & time, as well as the preferred language will have to be set up again after the restart. Relevant prompts will appear on screen." Maybe 'Data' ought to be 'Date'? Oh and actually none of the above had to be set up again after the f/w's restart though the above settings screen was shown (nothing needed to be changed despite the 'help' note). FWIW There was no clear exit path proposed after the unchanged 'changes'. I had to guess what to do and when to do it, I turned the camera off and on again.  

2) Yes, there is now a "Pixel Mapping" menu option. Entering it gives me a Yes or No option. Pressing Yes results in some presumed activity followed by the instruction to restart the camera. After the restart the "Pixel Mapping" menu option continues to show Yes or No options... There isn't an indication in that area whether pixel mapping is now 'active' or working or what... 

3) Before doing the v1.1 f/w update I 'opted' to do the save to 'Save profiles on SD Card' There is now a file on the SD. Afterwards the profile is neither loaded, active or even in the camera's menu. Yes, there is an 'import' and so I manually recovered my missing profile. This helpful information is not in the associated 'help' PDF.

4) The double tap of the LCD to reset the (auto-only - doesn't work in manual) pointer to centre is good. Previously, after manually driving the pointer around, in bright ambience I found it difficult to get it back to centre for the next picture. If this is a new feature then thank you, if it not then still thank you for that newly found information:-) The double tap reset works even while actively looking through the EVF but is not able to re-point in the same way but I can learn to live with that. Previously I have avoided the 'touch' part of operations as my right face cheek seemed to drive the touch logic to do unexpected things. 

5) Glitch with the double tap pointer centre reset. At some point all the thumbing around caused the positioning to 'ignore' the DOUBLE tap and works the latter as a single (re-pointing) tap. Similarly in EVF the double tap reset is then non-existent as re-pointing in EVF is beyond the logic capability. However, my workaround to the rest of us Leica users, a press of the centre joystick button seems to regain double tap capability... oh well 😎

Hope the pixel mapping *really* works. Good job though the beta testers should've mentioned the lack of process clarity.

Pixel mapping fixed the dead pixel issue on my Q2M for ISO greater than 400 (tested before and after update + pixel mapping run).

• Thanks 1

Good improvement on the Q2M with v1.1: Now when taking photos with the left eye, nose touching screen, the knob correctly adjusts exposure compensation.  (In the previous version if your nose is on the screen, the knob made the focus zone bigger which was very weird.).

Leica had said they were going to make this change and it's good to see it getting through.  (The Q2 always had sensible behaviour, this was just a Q2M oddity.  Took me ages to discover that this behaviour was because my nose was on the screen!)

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CAP said:

Thank you so much! Now I can use the field setting for focussing without my big nose upsetting things 🙂 It's nice that Leica listen to their customers.

Not just noses - my face cheek used to do some triggering too ...so much happier with the v1.1 firmware.

On a future update it would be nice if the photo/file number did not reset to zero.

After updating, I loaded my saved settings back from the SD card but then had to manually bump up the photo number so that I don't have multiple photos with the same file number.

Also still no way to put a Name, or copyright statement in the Exif file.

I appreciate the update and will have to dive into the changes.