My Q2M handgrip fits fine on my M-D 262...

DaveNC

Functionally works for me well.  As you see, a slight offset to the back of the M-D.  Otherwise, fits well.  No jiggle or looseness at all.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Wow that's good news for me...I have spent ages looking for a way of adding a temporary handgrip/finger loop to my M Edition 60 (s!) and never thought to look at a Q grip!

The Edition 60 baseplate doesn't have the standard lug'hole/tab thingy at the end and also since it has no screen even if I modified  the regular M240 grip somehow the screen cutout on the top edge would be odd - as per the MD-262. I assume that's why you haven't just fitted the standard M240 grip?

I was trying to find an external M240 grip that fitted over the existing baseplate but they are thin on the ground now and usually like the ugly IMHO M8/M9 "post" grips. Since the M60s don't have strap lugs I really wanted a finger loop arrangement and again was looking at how to machine one into a grip. Never thought to look at other leica grips.

I have a m240 grip that fits with the baseplate still attached, it doesn't have a finger loop connection, but the grip part has a moulded shape for the fingers (not a post). If you're interested I'll look to see if it has any manufacturer info on it (it came with the camera, which I bought secondhand)

That would be great - the reason I’m looking for a finger loop solution is the lack of strap lugs means I want something more than just the grip to give a bit more security. The special M60 case/strap is a pain since the strap is too short and I’m not a fan of cases in general.

The alternative is a tripod-mount strap but they have their own issues.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

16 hours ago, NigelG said:

That would be great - the reason I’m looking for a finger loop solution is the lack of strap lugs means I want something more than just the grip to give a bit more security. The special M60 case/strap is a pain since the strap is too short and I’m not a fan of cases in general.

The alternative is a tripod-mount strap but they have their own issues.

Need to split this into 2 posts cos of file size

that says

www.montsumeru.com

on the other side it says L M G

the whole thing is made from metal, and the hand grip part is hollow, so if one had the abilities (and you mentioned machining) it might be conceivable to make a hole and attach a fingerloop of sorts in there (personally I’d use washers for the clamp load, but I’m no expert), there’s certainly room.

The whole thing is lighter than the official Leica one (which I also have) but the overall weight with the Leica one is less because the few grams the aftermarket grip scores (over the Leica one) are lost by the fact you have to keep the baseplate on with the aftermarket 

I can’t tell you anything else about it really... it came with the (secondhand) M240 and I also got the official leather case, so I just used that instead. Some months later I found the official grip secondhand for a price I was very happy with so I bought and use that

I like more the shape of the aftermarket one in the hand (more than the Leica one)*, but tbh it’s a bit of a faff to take on  and off, and IMO the attachment screw could do with being a thread or two longer...

I think that’s all I can tell you. Let me know if you want more pics or even the same pics but taken better than my iPad!

Cheers

*The little finger area of my right hand has degraded function due to a motorcycle accident 20+ years ago, so I never feel too comfortable talking about camera ergonomics as I’m hardly an atypical usage case

Thanks for taking the time to post the info - I’ll do a bit of digging on the manufacturer. I guess there’s no reason for an official M240 grip that doesn’t replace the baseplate and I assume the aftermarket ones can be manufactured to fit a variety camera models relatively cheaply as they overlay the existing camera base. The M240 series is now old enough that many 3rd party accessories are no longer being sold - similar to the problem I have getting covers for my original iPhone SEs
It simply hadn’t occurred to me that a Q grip might have the correct corresponding dimensions between the tripod screw and the body end radius.

• Like 1