Leica M3 baseplate curiosity

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I ordered a replacement baseplate (used ) for my M3.

It arrived, I put it on without the take up spool in just to see it fit ..all good.

Was loading film and realised I could not close the baseplate and then I saw a Plastic 'thing', a sort of guide ,  screwed onto the take up side of the base plate which was apparently the issue.

I unscrewed this 'thing and removed it and all was well.

However my curiosity is asking , what is this thing?

any thoughts ?

best

Andy

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

It's part of the Quick Load Kit

QLK 14260

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

it seems second part missing, spool

more infos, here

Edited by a.noctilux

Hello Andy,

Welcome to the Forum.

You might want to hang on to that & look for a spool to go with it. When you find a spool ask here or PM me & I will explain how to put it back & use it.

I got one when they came out in the early 1970's & it make an M3 much easier to load & unload. Just a few simple steps like: Where you put your right thumb. Big improvement. Easier on an M1, MD, M2 where it makes them into pretty much M5's. M5's are like M4's & later "M" cameras with the addition a removable quick loading spool. Instead of the fixed quick loading tulip in M4's & later "M" cameras.

The kit originally came with a decal to attach to the bottom of the baseplate to explain to users how to use it.

Best Regards,.

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Graham (G4FUJ) said:

Well well, learn something new everyday.  Didn't know there was such a kit for the earlier M cameras 👌

It works even better in an M2 since you don't have to pull the spool out and put back in to reset the frame counter as in an M3.

@andym91  You could sell that part and recoup some of the cost of your baseplate. The quick load kit's price has skyrocketed since I got one a few years back.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, plaidshirts said:

It works even better in an M2 since you don't have to pull the spool out and put back in to reset the frame counter as in an M3.

@andym91  You could sell that part and recoup some of the cost of your baseplate. The quick load kit's price has skyrocketed since I got one a few years back.

How I wish I had known this earlier. This would have saved so much time loading films.

Now I don’t know if it’s relevant to my initial question but my first roll developed today shows very irregular distances between the images.

some are ok then frame to frame is up to 2 cm then ok then 1 cm with no regularity.

the entire roll shows this uneven spacing.

can the take up spool or baseplate be the cause anyone ?

when I advance the film I sense an occasional ‚slip‘... it is a DS M3 by the way .

Edited by andym91

1 hour ago, andym91 said:

Now I don’t know if it’s relevant to my initial question but my first roll developed today shows very irregular distances between the images.

some are ok then frame to frame is up to 2 cm then ok then 1 cm with no regularity.

the entire roll shows this uneven spacing.

can the take up spool or baseplate be the cause anyone ?

when I advance the film I sense an occasional ‚slip‘... it is a DS M3 by the way .

2cm!? You’ll see others complaining of the occasional extra space (in millimeters) between two frames (even in a new MP) but yours seems to be at another level. Is this a new camera for you or did the uneven spacing start with the new baseplate? In any case I think your M3 needs the attention of a repair person.  

Edited by plaidshirts

Also it sounds like the take up spool was not properly seated. Try another roll after reseating the spool and testing that it rotates without slipping. Just gently apply pressure with your fingers to the spool as you wind on.  It should not slip if seated properly. 

7 hours ago, andym91 said:

OMG just received the quote 🙈

might need to rethink this.

I would never have sent it there - independents are preferable for older cameras.

After that quote I’m not sending it..

would be almost double that I paid for the camera.

need to get to the root of the problem.

am almost sure it has to do with the take up spool and baseplate 

will switch from my M2 and try that 

andy

• Like 1