D-lux: menu and settings

• 3 weeks later...

When I got my new Q2 Monochrom I also bought my wife a new D-Lux 7 to take along on our travels (she has a better eye for composition than I do). Her experience with cameras beyond an iPhone is limited. She wants to shoot in aperture priority most of the time. The problem is that it’s really easy to accidentally move the position of the autofocus area on the touch screen. I know this is a feature for those of us who pay attention to settings, but it’s frustrating for her. I can’t seem to find a solution in the manual. Is there a way to lock the AF area without fully turning the touch screen off completely? Thanks for any advice.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2021 at 11:27 AM, kengai said:

I have had several cameras, but with this D-Lux I find myself with unknown functions.
The menu doesn't give much explanation, so I'm asking where I can find explanations and information for the best setting of the camera in different situations.

Video  from Leica Camera Australia (24 min. 29 sec.) titled "How to set up the Leica D-Lux 7. Sample images and menu descriptions." at <<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTT0garNL8I>>

• Like 1

On 5/17/2021 at 3:12 AM, NightPix said:

When I got my new Q2 Monochrom I also bought my wife a new D-Lux 7 to take along on our travels (she has a better eye for composition than I do). Her experience with cameras beyond an iPhone is limited. She wants to shoot in aperture priority most of the time. The problem is that it’s really easy to accidentally move the position of the autofocus area on the touch screen. I know this is a feature for those of us who pay attention to settings, but it’s frustrating for her. I can’t seem to find a solution in the manual. Is there a way to lock the AF area without fully turning the touch screen off completely? Thanks for any advice.

I experienced this as well, as an old school photographer, I have never understood why one would want to poke around a touch screen to move the focus area, when all you need to do is focus in the middle and recompose whilst holding shutter half down. 
I think what will fix it is to go to Menu/Custom/Operation/Touch Settings/Touch Pad AF and set to OFF. Only problem I then has was the slide out quick menu on right of display has a quick button to switch on again! So what you need to do before changing to off, is leave it on and touch the screen to move it, then press Display button to move to centre. Then get into menu and switch off!

if there sianbetter way, please advise, as this is fiddly, and sometimes stops working as a fix! 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 4/27/2021 at 11:27 PM, kengai said:

I have had several cameras, but with this D-Lux I find myself with unknown functions.
The menu doesn't give much explanation, so I'm asking where I can find explanations and information for the best setting of the camera in different situations.

When you're in the menu pages, if you press the bottom right corner button "DISP" it will bring up a window with a very brief description of what each function does. Press it again to switch it off. That might help a little as a start.

• 2 months later...

I was looking for a good book on Leica DLux 7. Alexander S White has one on Type 109.Browsing through his other books, I realised that he recommends the Panasonic LX100 II book for DLux 7. I bought the kindle version and it s indeed very helpful for DLux 7- even the menu items and numberings are the same.There may be some differences here and there but it is a very good book.

Kindle book A.S.White

• Like 2