Strap for Leica SL2

Papab

Advertisement (gone after registration)

29 minutes ago, beewee said:

Avoid using superglue (cyanoacrylate) on anything that you don’t want to fail when it gets wet, moist, or will be exposed to humidity in the air for extended period. Cyanoacrylate will degrade and fail when exposed to moisture from the air over time.

That makes sense and mine feels very secure without it anyway :)

Let me second the recommendation for Luckystrap. I searched all over the 'net and found this. I bought two - one for my SL2 and one for my camera bag. Since my camera bag is tan, the strap color is an almost exact match.

I also recommend the Domke postal shoulder pad. It is the same width as the Luckystrap and makes things easier on the shoulder.

Thanks,

Jim

Just a wee heads up for putting peak design loops through non SL lugs...thread a bit of dental floss through the lug, through the PD loop and back through the lug the other way...then just pull on both bits of dental floss and it pulls the loop through even very small lugs!   I use them on my MP, CL etc etc...even a barnack III

Sorry to hear about your mishap.

I use Rock’n’Roll straps on my SL bodies and have put them through extensive abuse over the years.

To think of it, I think I got the strap a few months after the launch of the SL, and haven’t ever taken it off. Attaching some photos of what it looks like now. 

Of course, I do check the strap when taking it out of the bag, as I would check if the lens is well mounted on the camera. Things get tossed or bumped around and it only takes a few seconds to ensure all’s well and the adventure can safely begin. 

Evris now has a new strap out for the SL2/SL2-S and it looks pretty lovely. Will post some pictures of the body and strap this evening.

Edited by TheGodParticle/Hari

On 7/11/2021 at 5:49 AM, satijntje said:

Just by coincidence I had bought from the Rock n roll straps dealer in Germany, SIOLEX, a 125cm Hendrix edition of the strap for my SL2.
Only after I bought it, I saw this thread with the reported problems of that strap.

I have contacted the manufacturer in Cyprus to see what kind of solution they are proposing.
I will report the answer here as soon as I get a reply.

If there is no solution, I might return the strap to the seller, ask my money back and use my peak design stuff, but that RocknRoll strap is much nicer....

Have a nice day and don't drop your cameras 🙂
John

Hello did you receive an answer?

vor 16 Stunden schrieb Rivarola:

Hello did you receive an answer?

Here is the reply from Evris:

“We have sold of thousands of SL2 straps  and we have too many happy clients. If you adjust the strap correctly , pass it though both leather rings and check it when it comes out of the bag ( when you you have it in a bag and it gets pushed opposite or turned etc , you will have to make sure that the strap is set as you have set it initially)  then nothing bad can happen . 

I mean you have the strap so you can test it yourself,  pull it as much as you want downwards ( that’s the only way it can fall to the floor) and you will see that it can’t  go away or slip out . It just can’t happen ! Then you will feel very safe wit the RnR SL2  strap you got. “

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Am 24.7.2021 um 14:30 schrieb TheGodParticle/Hari:

Sorry to hear about your mishap.

I use Rock’n’Roll straps on my SL bodies and have put them through extensive abuse over the years.

To think of it, I think I got the strap a few months after the launch of the SL, and haven’t ever taken it off. Attaching some photos of what it looks like now. 

Of course, I do check the strap when taking it out of the bag, as I would check if the lens is well mounted on the camera. Things get tossed or bumped around and it only takes a few seconds to ensure all’s well and the adventure can safely begin. 

Evris now has a new strap out for the SL2/SL2-S and it looks pretty lovely. Will post some pictures of the body and strap this evening.

Hi,

have you painted the letters on your 24-90 red and if yes why??

Edited by Daniel C.1975

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Steven said:

Hello, 

Slightly derailing the thread for a second to ask if anyone recognizes this strap ? I like the look but can’t identify it. 

Thanks in advance

Cheers 

Steven

Looks similar to the BOA strap with optional black leather ends   https://www.monarchstrap.com

• 3 weeks later...

I recently received a Harry Benz "Brogue" series Wrist and a Neck strap for my SL-2. I have to say, the leather seems to be very high quality and strong
yet supple and the SL style attachment seems to work well with the SL-2 body as it's designed for them.

I have yet to install or test the Neck strap but planning to test drive it soon too. There is quite a wait to get these as each is hand made, but i feel it was worth the wait.

Edited by roverover

• 5 months later...
On 7/25/2021 at 5:25 AM, satijntje said:

Here is the reply from Evris:

“We have sold of thousands of SL2 straps  and we have too many happy clients. If you adjust the strap correctly , pass it though both leather rings and check it when it comes out of the bag ( when you you have it in a bag and it gets pushed opposite or turned etc , you will have to make sure that the strap is set as you have set it initially)  then nothing bad can happen . 

I mean you have the strap so you can test it yourself,  pull it as much as you want downwards ( that’s the only way it can fall to the floor) and you will see that it can’t  go away or slip out . It just can’t happen ! Then you will feel very safe wit the RnR SL2  strap you got. “

I had a similar response from Evris:

"Hi, we are sorry to hear that but we have sold some thousands of SL2 straps and had no problems. If you adjust it properly on your camera the strap is very safe!"

My opinion is there are two design flaws to this strap. 1.) The holes should be reversed so the small hole is above the large hole. The smaller hole would hold the metal stud more securely. 2.) The more serious flaw is the last 20 mm tip of the strap. It is shaved thin and not as thick as the rest of the strap. Unfortunately, the larger hole is located on this section, and because the leather is very thin and flimsy, the weight of the camera does stretch the hole. Consequently, the strap does slip off the stud. If the 20 mm end of the strap was the same thickness as the rest of the strap, and the holes reversed, I'd have confidence that the strap would perform as expected.

I have this beautiful strap, and the camera does slip out. To paraphrase Evris, it does happen (I experienced it 2X) and I do not feel safe with the RnR SL2 strap. I haven't used it since the 2nd fall. As always....YMMV.

I purchased this leather strap by Arte de Mano. I sprung for the extra padding and am very happy with it. It distributes the camera weight well and the nylon connector feels very secure. This is a picture from their website mine is blue leather with blue stitching.

I also had the horrible experience of the RocknRoll strap coming apart while I was wearing my camera. I caught the camera when I felt the weight of it slide downward so I averted any damage. I contacted the manufacturer and sent pictures and they minimally responded and did nothing about it. The hole where it clips together stretched out and became insecure. I packed it up and will never use it again. 

6 minutes ago, alywit said:

I purchased this leather strap by Arte de Mano. I sprung for the extra padding and am very happy with it. It distributes the camera weight well and the nylon connector feels very secure. This is a picture from their website mine is blue leather with blue stitching.

I also had the horrible experience of the RocknRoll strap coming apart while I was wearing my camera. I caught the camera when I felt the weight of it slide downward so I averted any damage. I contacted the manufacturer and sent pictures and they minimally responded with the same message about how they sell thousands of them without issue. They did nothing about it. The hole where it clips together stretched out and became insecure. I packed it up and will never use it again. 

17 hours ago, Pixeleater said:

I had a similar response from Evris:

"Hi, we are sorry to hear that but we have sold some thousands of SL2 straps and had no problems. If you adjust it properly on your camera the strap is very safe!"

My opinion is there are two design flaws to this strap. 1.) The holes should be reversed so the small hole is above the large hole. The smaller hole would hold the metal stud more securely. 2.) The more serious flaw is the last 20 mm tip of the strap. It is shaved thin and not as thick as the rest of the strap. Unfortunately, the larger hole is located on this section, and because the leather is very thin and flimsy, the weight of the camera does stretch the hole. Consequently, the strap does slip off the stud. If the 20 mm end of the strap was the same thickness as the rest of the strap, and the holes reversed, I'd have confidence that the strap would perform as expected.

I have this beautiful strap, and the camera does slip out. To paraphrase Evris, it does happen (I experienced it 2X) and I do not feel safe with the RnR SL2 strap. I haven't used it since the 2nd fall. As always....YMMV.

My strap....

2 hours ago, Pixeleater said:

My strap....

I've read several reports of failure with this strap design. I purchased the R&R Hendrix strap for my SL 601 and had it on the camera until I recently traded it in for the SL2-S. I've liked it a lot for its slightly springy give - it carries the weight comfortably. It is very soft and supple and coils up into a small roll for stowing in a bag. I put the old strap on the new camera. They have since modified the original attachment method to the design shown above. I have a couple of these too for other cameras. This design is a little more finished than the original but I prefer the older version. The strap end fits very tightly through the slits on the strap - they are somewhat difficult to thread through but will definitely not come out once threaded back and forth through all the slits.

I would recommend reinforcing either design with a couple of dabs of Fabri-Tac (textile adhesive sold in many stores). In the photo below, the adhesive has been applied to the leather end where it tucks underneath the first sewn section. Once glued together, the leather pieces will not separate and the strap will be much more secure. The glue can be easily reversed with a little acetone (nail polish remover) should the strap need to be removed from the camera and reused or replaced. 

One of the black straps I purchased had a tendency to stain clothing when worn on long hikes in hot weather. R&R quickly and kindly replaced this one with a new one. But a strap failure could be tragic and certainly something to avoid at all costs.

Edited by Alan Friedman

On 7/10/2021 at 8:04 AM, LBJ2 said:

3. No Big White Leica Logo--now what to do about that on the camera itself!

Rubbing alcohol will dissolve the white paint that fills the engraving.  It improved the look of my M10-P.

I very recently purchased an SL2. I wear my cameras across my chest and find that most regular length straps do not work for me. For my Ms, I have used Artists and Artisans straps that are long enough. I looked for a strap to replace the Leica -provided strap for the SL2 and at the end of my research I am sure that I found what will work best for me : https://www.harrybenz.com/shop/the-brogue-sl  I will be getting the loner version sized appropriately for me. The attachment of the strap makes perfect sense. Considering the craftsmanship that goes into his work, the cost is more than reasonable . 

An alternative that I can highly recommend are the leather straps made by Compagnon, Germany, the longest straps that I have ever come across, very solid and safe by the same time. They are meant to be cut to your individual size/length, somewhat pricey ( not by Leica standards ;-), but well worth it.