Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Looking on the web there doesn't appear to be many with what I call a "loop design"  typically one that just threads through the camera's strap lugs.

The majority have a more common steel ring connector, has this been used without any damage to the camera's lugs etc?

I am conscious that I don't want to damage the camera!

I have seen the Rock & Roll one's but has anyone got any other recommendations,  based in the UK

Cheers

Edited by Papab
update title error
  • Papab changed the title to Strap for Leica SL2

Had "The Brogue SL" from Harry Benz for my SL and liked it very much. For the SL2 I choose the Rock'nRoll SL2 limited edition and in direct comparison I prefer this one over the Harry Benz strap. Reason is the construction with the multiple elements which indeed function as weight/shock absorbers and make it more comfortable to carry the camera for a longer time.

I use the Peak Design Leash on my SL2, attached with their loop connecting, quick release, anchors.  With the big SL zooms, I attach one connector to a strap lug and another to the supplied PD tiny base plate connector, so that the lens hangs downward against hip or back rather than sticking out.

Jeff

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Jeff S said:

I use the Peak Design Leash on my SL2, attached with their loop connecting, quick release, anchors.  With the big SL zooms, I attach one connector to a strap lug and another to the supplied PD tiny base plate connector, so that the lens hangs downward against hip or back rather than sticking out.

Jeff

I use the Slide. Quick and very comfortable. The trick is the base plate connector. 

For that kind of strap lug, I'd try a Nikon AN-4B:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/37064-REG/Nikon_639_AN_4B_Nylon_Neck_Strap.html

(Wex and Grays of Westminster have them in the UK, but they're cheaper from Japan on ebay).

or one of the Op/Tech straps with the 3/8" webbing connector:

https://www.optechusa.com/

(widely available in the UK)

See previous discussion for the SL:

Another thumbs up for the Rock n'Roll link straps. I have the Hendrix on my SL (601). The suspension effect makes for a very good handling of the weight. They now make a Goliath version if you are carrying a really big lens. The original Hendrix rolls up into a nice tight coil. I chose 125mm. 

The original synthetic strap that came with the SL has been very nice on my Sigma fp. I bought a second Hendrix for the new fp-L with EVF. 

I cannot recommend the rock n strap for the SL. I used it until the strap disconnected from the right lug. The SL2 and M 28 1.4 dropped 60 cm to a composite deck. Ouch. It is pretty new strap but the way the locking mechanism is designed it kept slipping off the metal part. YMMV.

8 hours ago, Papab said:

Brilliant feedback and suggestions, I like the look of the Benz. 

I bought the Benz SL2 Brogue strap.  While I was waiting a couple of months for delivery, I bought the Peak Design Leash as a modestly priced interim solution.  I ended up selling the Benz strap, despite its good looks and craftsmanship, and keeping the PD, which I found more functional and practical.  The Benz strap required  blue Loctite (recommended by Harry) for secure connection, making it less practical for easy removal, and the hanging position of the body with large zoom was less flexible and desirable compared to the PD.  YMMV.

Jeff

+1 on the Harry Benz straps. I use a 130cm Brogue SL- works well to carry the camera cross body - even with heavy vario lenses.

the Water Buffalo leather is very comfortable and sturdy - and looks good too. You can order the length you prefer.

I use both the Harry Benz and the PD. I don't like the metal adjusters on the PD, but they're OK if you are careful ( I dinged my Sony screen the first time  I put the camera in the bag). With any strap on the SL2, though, I like to attach one end (and sometimes both ends) of the strap to the bottom of the camera so the lens hags vertically and does not tend to flop around when I walk.

Posted (edited)

Hah! You‘ve opened a can of worms - with this topic you‘ll get from 3 photographers at least 6 opinions ;)

And here is mine: I use a Eddycam edition 35mm. It‘s good looking, super nice to carry or wrap around you wrist and durable, but expensive. It’s mounted with peak design anchors, as I often prefer to have no strap at all or to change to the peak design wrist strap. The Eddycam eddyconnection is not functional with the design of the SL2, had it for my my m10p, but they do not work with the SL2-s. The peak design anchors are nevertheless the sleaker solution.

Eddycam does also have more cushioned designs, but I prefer the slimmer and still comfortable edition 35mm.

Cheers

Daniel

that‘s the one I am using for 2-3 years:

https://eddycam.com/kategorien/edition-35-mm-black-nature-cs-vintage/?lang=en

The weight range Eddycam gives leans on their definition of comfort and not what the straps can carry, I‘ve called them and weight, as long as you can lift it, is no issue for the durability.

Edited by Daniel C.1975
Posted (edited)
On 4/30/2021 at 6:15 AM, Daniel C.1975 said:

Hah! You‘ve opened a can of worms - with this topic you‘ll get from 3 photographers at least 6 opinions ;)

And here is mine: I use a Eddycam edition 35mm. It‘s good looking, super nice to carry or wrap around you wrist and durable, but expensive. It’s mounted with peak design anchors, as I often prefer to have no strap at all or to change to the peak design wrist strap. The Eddycam eddyconnection is not functional with the design of the SL2, had it for my my m10p, but they do not work with the SL2-s. The peak design anchors are nevertheless the sleaker solution.

Eddycam does also have more cushioned designs, but I prefer the slimmer and still comfortable edition 35mm.

Cheers

Daniel

that‘s the one I am using for 2-3 years:

https://eddycam.com/kategorien/edition-35-mm-black-nature-cs-vintage/?lang=en

The weight range Eddycam gives leans on their definition of comfort and not what the straps can carry, I‘ve called them and weight, as long as you can lift it, is no issue for the durability.

Hi Daniel,

May I ask how you connect your eddycam strap with peak design anchors.  From what I can see from their website, this not possible.  I would be grateful if you can post a picture of this can be done.  Thanks

Edited by RM70