First shot after turned on (FPS) very laggy

prismstorm

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi there prismstorm,

Reading your post from yesterday, and rereading your original post, the problem you are having sounds like a more aggravated version of mine. I'm sorry I didn't read closer into your OP that "after each time" really literally means every power-on-off cycle you get this issue. I would second what LeicaR10 has said: your S3 sounds like it needs a trip to the mothership---you know your situation best, so do as you see fit... but yes, the S3 is an expensive piece of professional kit (you appreciate that better than most) so for sure your expectation should be that you don't have to deal with operational issues like this. Don't wait for our consensus, I would proactively get Leica to deal with it.

The "first shot lag" issue for me, on my S typ006, is literally only the first shot of the day, one shot only, and thereafter -- all day, switching the camera on or off again, doesn't matter -- I don't experience the problem during the shoot again. For me it is, and has been, just a minor bug that pops up every now and then, most typically after my camera (S typ006; never had it on the backup S2-P of mine) has been sat dormant in its pelican case for a few days, or a week, etc. Absolutely not every power-on-off cycle.

To reiterate my typical scenario: I go out to a shoot. Take the S out of the pelican case, attach lens, attach profoto air remote, switch on, compose, focus, shoot => if the camera has been in its case for a while (think days/weeks), that first shot can be super laggy. Thereafter, next shot and beyond, no more lag—whether I switch on or off, all shoot*. Switching off the camera between sessions, light changes, lunch breaks, etc—no laggy first shots again for that day.

Your experience—you are getting this literally every time you switch the camera off and then on again... Definitely raise this with Leica and demand better. Sounds tough to work with...

Just to ask a silly question: are your lenses on the latest firmware? I had the AF motors swapped out for the new ones on all my lenses at the top of this year, that meant a trip for them back to Wetzlar, where the lenses also received a full clean-lube-adjust "CLA" and firmware update, and I haven't had the lag issue recently, though I have been shooting quite a bit... a long shot, but I throw it out there in hope for you.

I'm praying you can get this issue fixed, prismstorm. Best of luck!

*  for info, of course I switch the camera off between setups, etc., and especially so when shooting tethered as, in my experience, tethered shooting drains batteries quickly—not unique to Leica, the Nikons I used to work with were the same when tethered... if you look in the finder, you might notice the exposure metering is always active during tethered shooting with Lr and I think this perhaps contributes in some meaningful way to the battery drain. With the S typ006, no Live View remember, shooting product stills for online stores etc., one battery might last me until early afternoon from a morning start, but I would rarely make it through one whole day on one battery shooting those day-long tethered sessions.
Untethered, one battery would last a whole day of shooting the S typ006 or S2-P pretty much every time. For work, of course I take spare batteries (usually two to four) with me to a shoot, as well as a charger, and have a fresh battery ready to go at all times—just basic good preparation, nothing more special than that. Batteries for lights, when using battery powered lights, is always the bigger headache as they are heavier and harder to haul about... but yea, the S cameras I use have the most battery stamina that I've ever experienced, I came to the S series from Nikon D3 then D4s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, TomLiles said:

Hi there prismstorm,

Reading your post from yesterday, and rereading your original post, the problem you are having sounds like a more aggravated version of mine. I'm sorry I didn't read closer into your OP that "after each time" really literally means every power-on-off cycle you get this issue. I would second what LeicaR10 has said: your S3 sounds like it needs a trip to the mothership---you know your situation best, so do as you see fit... but yes, the S3 is an expensive piece of professional kit (you appreciate that better than most) so for sure your expectation should be that you don't have to deal with operational issues like this. Don't wait for our consensus, I would proactively get Leica to deal with it.

The "first shot lag" issue for me, on my S typ006, is literally only the first shot of the day, one shot only, and thereafter -- all day, switching the camera on or off again, doesn't matter -- I don't experience the problem during the shoot again. For me it is, and has been, just a minor bug that pops up every now and then, most typically after my camera (S typ006; never had it on the backup S2-P of mine) has been sat dormant in its pelican case for a few days, or a week, etc. Absolutely not every power-on-off cycle.

To reiterate my typical scenario: I go out to a shoot. Take the S out of the pelican case, attach lens, attach profoto air remote, switch on, compose, focus, shoot => if the camera has been in its case for a while (think days/weeks), that first shot can be super laggy. Thereafter, next shot and beyond, no more lag—whether I switch on or off, all shoot*. Switching off the camera between sessions, light changes, lunch breaks, etc—no laggy first shots again for that day.

Your experience—you are getting this literally every time you switch the camera off and then on again... Definitely raise this with Leica and demand better. Sounds tough to work with...

Just to ask a silly question: are your lenses on the latest firmware? I had the AF motors swapped out for the new ones on all my lenses at the top of this year, that meant a trip for them back to Wetzlar, where the lenses also received a full clean-lube-adjust "CLA" and firmware update, and I haven't had the lag issue recently, though I have been shooting quite a bit... a long shot, but I throw it out there in hope for you.

I'm praying you can get this issue fixed, prismstorm. Best of luck!

*  for info, of course I switch the camera off between setups, etc., and especially so when shooting tethered as, in my experience, tethered shooting drains batteries quickly—not unique to Leica, the Nikons I used to work with were the same when tethered... if you look in the finder, you might notice the exposure metering is always active during tethered shooting with Lr and I think this perhaps contributes in some meaningful way to the battery drain. With the S typ006, no Live View remember, shooting product stills for online stores etc., one battery might last me until early afternoon from a morning start, but I would rarely make it through one whole day on one battery shooting those day-long tethered sessions.
Untethered, one battery would last a whole day of shooting the S typ006 or S2-P pretty much every time. For work, of course I take spare batteries (usually two to four) with me to a shoot, as well as a charger, and have a fresh battery ready to go at all times—just basic good preparation, nothing more special than that. Batteries for lights, when using battery powered lights, is always the bigger headache as they are heavier and harder to haul about... but yea, the S cameras I use have the most battery stamina that I've ever experienced, I came to the S series from Nikon D3 then D4s.

Yes, in my case, the first shot of my S3 AFTER EACH POWER-ON CYCLE is laggy as hell, and not just once during the same day. If I switch off and power on my S3 for 6 times on a particular day, I get 6 times of this lag at the very first shot of every single power-up. 

For your case, what is peculiar is, how does your S know how long it has been by itself? You're saying it only acts up ONCE during the length of an entire shooting day, but the S body is not sentient and won't actually know which day it is to avoid having issue twice on the same day. Yours is way more sporadic and thus justifiable to not fix it ......

I have the 'super laggy' (almost feels like 0.5 seconds) shutter for the very first shot of each shoot with strobes. Strangely, there is no lag if the flash trigger is not attached to the hot shoe, which makes it extra perplexing......

My S3 is on Firmware 1.1, and my only S lens, the 120mm CS, was produced in February 2021, so relatively new and I suppose it has the latest firmware? If not, I can turn on Camera Information and double-check tonight. I guess my S lens does not need a trip back to Wetzlar since it has been produced so recently, I safely presume that it has all the latest AF motors and firmware.

I use Capture One Pro 21 for tethering, it is very slow because the S3 uses a Lemo to USB-3 cable, which then has to connect to a cheap and slow adapter jack before it can be connected to the USB-C only ports of my Macbook Pro. The S3 runs very hot when continuously tethered to the Mac, and the battery drains quickly, definitely not 'a whole day of use' as described by many other members, it is just roughly the same endurance as my SL2-S ....

I just got my S3 in late April, so I'm reluctant to send it back to Germany so quickly, I'm contemplating just squeezing off a single shot after each power on cycle to get rid of the laggy first shot, rather than sit for months without my brand new camera ....

Hi everyone,

I noticed that S3 has still laggy on 1st shot when I changed "AWB" to "DIRECT SETTING OF THE COLOR TEMPERATURE".

Please confirm your S3 when change White Balance.

Now I have told about it to Leica camera Japan via E-mail.

I will get new information, then I post here.

Thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LyttleMy said:

Hi everyone,

I noticed that S3 has still laggy on 1st shot when I changed "AWB" to "DIRECT SETTING OF THE COLOR TEMPERATURE".

Please confirm your S3 when change White Balance.

Now I have told about it to Leica camera Japan via E-mail.

I will get new information, then I post here.

Thanks.

I have also just shot Leica customer care an email describing the phenomenon I am experiencing, waiting hopefully for a reply.

• Like 1

Hi again prismstorm,

Yes, the version of the "first shot lag" issue I get is quite sporadic and not a big enough deal to bother risking huge downtime on with Leica service. I don't know what exactly it is that provokes the lag in my case, though over the years I have narrowed it down to when the body has been dormant for a while. It's not 100% though: sometimes my S typ006 goes without use for a couple weeks, and it's fine -- no first shot lag once out of the pelican -- and other times, it's in the pelican case for just a day or two, and the lag pops up next shoot. Only one laggy shot and all the pain is over for me though, so yes, I don't risk the potential downtime on it (not to mention the stress).

I really appreciate your feeling about sending your body to Wetzlar to have it fixed. You are in HK? I'm in Tokyo, and I guess you probably have the same experience I do with lost time when it comes to Leica service and the S-system. My S lenses mentioned above... to have the AF motors changed out earlier in the year, that costed me four months (yes four, repeat 4, months!) and a lot of yen. I can't remember the thread, but someone -- a member of our user group, living in Europe -- posted their bill for this same AF motor upgrade service and their bill was about 40% cheaper than what Leica Japan quoted and charged me. I did use that post as evidence and took the service cost issue up with Leica Japan, but they explained the extra costs with sending the lenses in and out of the country, yen-euro rates, and yada yada yada... ultimately they knew and I knew I can't do anything but send the lenses through the official channel -- i.e., them -- for the fix, and the price is what they say the price is: take it or leave it. So, thinking for the long term, I took it.
I had waited until a big lull in jobs for me at the end of last year (thanks to Corona virus related cancels and in one sad case, my customer going out of business) and sent the lenses off. I had a few jobs in the intervening four months and used a second hand Olympus e-m1 mark ii body with adapted four-thirds lenses (from my first ever camera system, the Panasonic DMC-L1) to complete those jobs [somehow!]... and a few months ago now, my lenses came back to me, like new, and I am back on track. That brief period of stress is just a memory now. And what's better, I have rock-solid dependable lenses in-hand. (And should I ever choose to sell any of them, I have a stronger hand than if I hadn't had the AF motors upgraded. Not that I ever plan to sell any S-system equipment though.)

I relate this story of mine about the lenses to you to express how I understand the time loss and aggravation in sending your new S3 body all the way to Germany; and for an issue which shouldn't even be there in the first place. Knowing Leica, they may even try to charge you some money to fix (this is Leica service and we've all heard both sides of it—people getting amazing service for zero, and other people getting assassinated with extra charges for servicing they never even requested in the first place... it really seems like luck of the draw with Leica service)...
But the other element of my story is: it's better to get this out of the way upfront and take the hit now, for a long and happy user experience thereafter. I'm sure your camera will still be under warranty, so the less you wait, the stronger your demands on Leica service can be I'd imagine. You will have to make do with another camera or camera system while your S3 is away, and no doubt it will be months and months, the same as it is for us in Japan [for other readers: Leica Japan cannot itself do any S-series servicing outside of rubber body armor replacement and sensor cleaning; for everything else, generally the cameras or lenses have to be sent to Germany]. But even still—if I were you, I would seek to get this issue squashed (fixed) here and now... your "short" term (I know weeks and months are not prima-facie short term) pain on that fix is easily offset by the long-term happiness and confidence in a camera that works as it is supposed to (and won't be a problem to sell, should you ever choose to; don't sell it though!).

This is all just opinion prismstorm—you know your situation better than we do, so you go the way you see best. Once again, I hope things brighten up a bit for you!

P/S on the battery... what is your battery performance like when not tethered? As I mentioned, in my own small experience, tethering seems to burn through battery at a quicker rate than normal (not tethered), and not just for Leica cameras—I've had this same experience with Nikon (and Olympus!).
Untethered, and with the battery grips on the S typ006 or S2-P that I use, i.e., with two batteries in, I have found the stamina of my S-cameras to be quietly impressive. Not ALL CAPS WOW THIS IS AMAZING, THIS IS THE BEST EVER, ALL SUPERLATIVES EVERYTHING ELSE IS SECOND BEST... just "hm! still going, wow" type thing. I think it's probably the best battery performance I've ever experienced, but then again: both the S cameras I use do not have Live View, which can be a major battery drain. At any rate... certainly with regular quick and dirty portrait/profile jobs where we can just use the back LCD on the camera to confirm shots, and the shoots themselves [shooting time, not setup and breakdown] are done in about an hour tops... those scenarios, my camera bodies can go for days at a time (of two maybe three shoots a day) before I would need to switch out batteries. When I started out, I would work like that, but now I'm a bit older and have had a few slip-ups, I make sure to start every shoot on a 100% battery and have a spare, at least one and a charger, in the bag. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. It's not rocket science (but I am thick enough to have not made this calculation earlier in my career).

Your battery performance is obviously an issue to you, so I would add that complaint to the list if and when you take your S3 to Leica—no need to be aggressive with them: just list up what you aren't happy with, what your expectation is (in other words, why you aren't happy); listen to their answer and agree a plan to fix the camera and make you happy. Take the short term hassle of being without your camera for the long-term gain. It's just friendly advice though, you know best!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

12 hours ago, TomLiles said:

Hi again prismstorm,

Yes, the version of the "first shot lag" issue I get is quite sporadic and not a big enough deal to bother risking huge downtime on with Leica service. I don't know what exactly it is that provokes the lag in my case, though over the years I have narrowed it down to when the body has been dormant for a while. It's not 100% though: sometimes my S typ006 goes without use for a couple weeks, and it's fine -- no first shot lag once out of the pelican -- and other times, it's in the pelican case for just a day or two, and the lag pops up next shoot. Only one laggy shot and all the pain is over for me though, so yes, I don't risk the potential downtime on it (not to mention the stress).

I really appreciate your feeling about sending your body to Wetzlar to have it fixed. You are in HK? I'm in Tokyo, and I guess you probably have the same experience I do with lost time when it comes to Leica service and the S-system. My S lenses mentioned above... to have the AF motors changed out earlier in the year, that costed me four months (yes four, repeat 4, months!) and a lot of yen. I can't remember the thread, but someone -- a member of our user group, living in Europe -- posted their bill for this same AF motor upgrade service and their bill was about 40% cheaper than what Leica Japan quoted and charged me. I did use that post as evidence and took the service cost issue up with Leica Japan, but they explained the extra costs with sending the lenses in and out of the country, yen-euro rates, and yada yada yada... ultimately they knew and I knew I can't do anything but send the lenses through the official channel -- i.e., them -- for the fix, and the price is what they say the price is: take it or leave it. So, thinking for the long term, I took it.
I had waited until a big lull in jobs for me at the end of last year (thanks to Corona virus related cancels and in one sad case, my customer going out of business) and sent the lenses off. I had a few jobs in the intervening four months and used a second hand Olympus e-m1 mark ii body with adapted four-thirds lenses (from my first ever camera system, the Panasonic DMC-L1) to complete those jobs [somehow!]... and a few months ago now, my lenses came back to me, like new, and I am back on track. That brief period of stress is just a memory now. And what's better, I have rock-solid dependable lenses in-hand. (And should I ever choose to sell any of them, I have a stronger hand than if I hadn't had the AF motors upgraded. Not that I ever plan to sell any S-system equipment though.)

I relate this story of mine about the lenses to you to express how I understand the time loss and aggravation in sending your new S3 body all the way to Germany; and for an issue which shouldn't even be there in the first place. Knowing Leica, they may even try to charge you some money to fix (this is Leica service and we've all heard both sides of it—people getting amazing service for zero, and other people getting assassinated with extra charges for servicing they never even requested in the first place... it really seems like luck of the draw with Leica service)...
But the other element of my story is: it's better to get this out of the way upfront and take the hit now, for a long and happy user experience thereafter. I'm sure your camera will still be under warranty, so the less you wait, the stronger your demands on Leica service can be I'd imagine. You will have to make do with another camera or camera system while your S3 is away, and no doubt it will be months and months, the same as it is for us in Japan [for other readers: Leica Japan cannot itself do any S-series servicing outside of rubber body armor replacement and sensor cleaning; for everything else, generally the cameras or lenses have to be sent to Germany]. But even still—if I were you, I would seek to get this issue squashed (fixed) here and now... your "short" term (I know weeks and months are not prima-facie short term) pain on that fix is easily offset by the long-term happiness and confidence in a camera that works as it is supposed to (and won't be a problem to sell, should you ever choose to; don't sell it though!).

This is all just opinion prismstorm—you know your situation better than we do, so you go the way you see best. Once again, I hope things brighten up a bit for you!

P/S on the battery... what is your battery performance like when not tethered? As I mentioned, in my own small experience, tethering seems to burn through battery at a quicker rate than normal (not tethered), and not just for Leica cameras—I've had this same experience with Nikon (and Olympus!).
Untethered, and with the battery grips on the S typ006 or S2-P that I use, i.e., with two batteries in, I have found the stamina of my S-cameras to be quietly impressive. Not ALL CAPS WOW THIS IS AMAZING, THIS IS THE BEST EVER, ALL SUPERLATIVES EVERYTHING ELSE IS SECOND BEST... just "hm! still going, wow" type thing. I think it's probably the best battery performance I've ever experienced, but then again: both the S cameras I use do not have Live View, which can be a major battery drain. At any rate... certainly with regular quick and dirty portrait/profile jobs where we can just use the back LCD on the camera to confirm shots, and the shoots themselves [shooting time, not setup and breakdown] are done in about an hour tops... those scenarios, my camera bodies can go for days at a time (of two maybe three shoots a day) before I would need to switch out batteries. When I started out, I would work like that, but now I'm a bit older and have had a few slip-ups, I make sure to start every shoot on a 100% battery and have a spare, at least one and a charger, in the bag. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. It's not rocket science (but I am thick enough to have not made this calculation earlier in my career).

Your battery performance is obviously an issue to you, so I would add that complaint to the list if and when you take your S3 to Leica—no need to be aggressive with them: just list up what you aren't happy with, what your expectation is (in other words, why you aren't happy); listen to their answer and agree a plan to fix the camera and make you happy. Take the short term hassle of being without your camera for the long-term gain. It's just friendly advice though, you know best!

Hi there TomLiles,

I am based in Hong Kong, and I have relayed my question regarding the shutter lag to the official customer service in the flagship store to no avail. I have also sent an email to Customer.Care@leica-camera.com with no reply as of now. I am very reluctant to send in my S3 for this problem alone, since several months of down time for a camera that costs this much is hard to swallow, having only owned it for around a month. I have multiple other cameras to carry on my shooting with, including another medium format system and two other Leica full frame systems, so redundancy is not a problem for me. I just really want to use the S3 because it's enjoyable, and gives the best color and files for me when shot in studio. When I go out I don't use the S, since my other cameras have much more stability and much less shutter shock. But with all artificial lighting and a small aperture, I can overcome any focusing errors due to focus and recompose and the center-only focusing point, and eliminate camera shake altogether.

I applaud you for having the guts to put your S system in a Pelican. I only put mirrorless gears / strobes in a Pelican due to the constant rolling on uneven terrain and the bumps and shocks everything inside it is constantly receiving. I tend to put gear with mirror boxes and mechanical tolerances (Leica M, S) in backpacks, so they don't get knocked out of mechanical alignment, and result in focusing issues. 

I am now patiently waiting for a reply from Leica Customer Care, and will follow-up on the issue locally through the repair department of the HK flagship store. I don't want to send it in because the highest grade Leica gear are only allowed to be repaired in Germany, not even the Shanghai service center.... and who knows what the downtime will be due to COVID-19...Think of all the shoots I will miss on using the S3 with several months of its absence.

I have not tried using the S3 in available light at all, all the battery performance so far has been related to studio use, with a flash trigger always on the hot shoe, and half of those times tethered to C1. Again, I don't use S3 in available light because of the very high rate of shutter shock ruining my final photos. Although, I can say that the battery definitely lasts longer than my SL2-S and X1DII, since it is beefier and thicker, and does not run constant live view either in the EVF or LCD. 

I have purchased and owned all Leica systems, including the S, SL, Q, CL and M, I bought into the S for the colors, tonality, and how alive everything seems to render. Technology wise, the SL2 generation stomps all over the S with its IBIS, multi-shot, EVF, face detection and video specs, but the connection you get with the S's OVF and instant mechanical feedback of a DSLR are just not found elsewhere in any of Leica's other systems. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BernardC said:

I wonder if the lag happens when the camera's built-in GPS is initializing. That might explain why it only happens when you first turn it on. Does it still happen if GPS is turned off?

The S lens's motors does a kind of calibration thing where the focus quickly retches back and forth at start-up, making a swirling sound. This is the only thing that signals anything initializing after I power the camera on. GPS has always been turned off since day one of ownership. The shutter lag problem only relates to the very first shot after power-on when the S3 has a flash trigger mounted and when that first shot after turned on triggers flash. 

Best of luck prismstorm 👍

P/S yea, I have been packing my S body in a Pelican Air 1535, with the four lenses (35/70/120 makro/ 120 TS) I own and the S battery grip for four years now—haven't had any problems. I use the pluck foam insert and the equipment all sits nice and tight in there. I also bicycle rather than drive so that case gets loaded on the back of my cargo bicycle when I go to shoots, it gets bumps, but the foam does its job well. Haven't had anything fall out of whack—probably just jinxed myself saying that, but there you go!
I did look at the official Leica S case, but Leica made the poor decision to have pre cut holes in the foam -- which was strike one -- and the price wasn't super good either -- strike two -- and, I dunno, I am Leica S system for life, but I'd rather not advertise it on the front of my equipment case with a big Leica logo—strike three.
I'm super happy with the pelican. So happy I bought another for my backup S2-P and back-up 70 and 35 lenses (eventually I'd like backup 120 makro and 120 TS too).

We are all with you on reasons to like the S. It is a system with its foibles and shortcomings, but on the whole it is the most satisfying camera system I've ever worked with—from the moment you take it out, to shooting with it, to reviewing the data at the computer afterwards... it pays us back for the frustration and stress. Hope you get some proper feelgood from yours sometime soon, prismstorm.

Cheers

Tom

Edited by TomLiles
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TomLiles said:

Best of luck prismstorm 👍

P/S yea, I have been packing my S body in a Pelican Air 1535, with the four lenses (35/70/120 makro/ 120 TS) I own and the S battery grip for four years now—haven't had any problems. I use the pluck foam insert and the equipment all sits nice and tight in there. I also bicycle rather than drive so that case gets loaded on the back of my cargo bicycle when I go to shoots, it gets bumps, but the foam does its job well. Haven't had anything fall out of whack—probably just jinxed myself saying that, but there you go!
I did look at the official Leica S case, but Leica made the poor decision to have pre cut holes in the foam -- which was strike one -- and the price wasn't super good either -- strike two -- and, I dunno, I am Leica S system for life, but I'd rather not advertise it on the front of my equipment case with a big Leica logo—strike three.
I'm super happy with the pelican. So happy I bought another for my backup S2-P and back-up 70 and 35 lenses (eventually I'd like backup 120 makro and 120 TS too).

We are all with you on reasons to like the S. It is a system with its foibles and shortcomings, but on the whole it is the most satisfying camera system I've ever worked with—from the moment you take it out, to shooting with it, to reviewing the data at the computer afterwards... it pays us back for the frustration and stress. Hope you get some proper feelgood from yours sometime soon, prismstorm.

Cheers

Tom

Thanks TomLiles for the blessings, I will see how it goes these few weeks, most likely I will just have to tolerate this glitch until Leica finally replaces the S3 with a successor that no longer exhibits this problem, or until the S system unfortunately receives the axe like the R system did, given the fierce competition from Fujifilm and Hasselblad, which are producing much more compact and technologically advanced medium format cameras at much lower prices. 

About the battery grip, I just ordered one from my local Leica Store, what is your opinion on it and can you share some experience of using it? Back when I used the SL (Typ 601), I also had the vertical battery grip, but the connection was always iffy and it had to go back for replacement multiple times during the 1 year of warranty. Either the second battery icon won't be displayed on the mono-color display, or some of the wheels and buttons on the grip won't work at all. I see that the S's battery grip uses a different type of connectors, does this hopefully yield more consistent and reliable performance?

I also dreamt about the Leica Case S before, due to the vanity of wanting very customized, specific gears that is S-branded. I was also ultimately put off by the pre-cut slots, since I don't plan on acquiring the exact lenses that had their dimensions pre-cut into the case, and I would prefer more freedom of a generic Pelican case with Trekpak divider system where I can piece together divider spaces that fit way more snugly, and would accommodate any gear that I choose to acquire. 

Yes, I like the S, it does provide a unique shooting experience and spectacular results when everything else goes smoothly. However, I worry about its long-term longevity and direction of future development. Competing cameras are leaving it in the dust in terms of many features, and it is becoming harder and harder to justify as an only system.  

Hi everyone,

I got e-mail from Leica Camera Japan.

They recognized that mirror up time is laggy on 1st shot after turning on S3, except AWB.

They will report this phenomenon to S designer in Leica Germany.

I hope fix this phenomenon with new firmware.

Thank you.

Edited by LyttleMy
postscript
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, LyttleMy said:

Hi everyone,

I got e-mail from Leica Camera Japan.

They recognized that mirror up time is laggy on 1st shot after turning on S3, except AWB.

They will report this phenomenon to S designer in Leica Germany.

I hope fix this phenomenon with new firmware.

Thank you.

Thanks LyttleMy for your sharing.

What does 'except AWB' means? Does that mean if I set the S3's white balance to 'AWB', I do not have the first shot laggy problem? 

Is this a hardware or software issue? Can it be corrected through firmware alone, or does it require a circuit board / shutter change?

• Like 1

Hi prismstorm,

"except AWB" means when it happens in other White Balance setting, such as "Daylight", "Cloudy", etc on them S3. 

AWB = Auto Whit Balance is set, then the phenomenon dose not happen.

For me, also same situation.

They only said "we will report to Leica Germany, S3 designer".

"New Firmware" is my opinion.

Now we don't know this is caused by Hardware or Software.

Thank you. 

Edited by LyttleMy
postscript
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1