First shot after turned on (FPS) very laggy

prismstorm

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Been using my S3 for a few days now, and having gone through 2-3 shoots, I experienced a strange phenomenon.

After each time the S3 is turned on, the first shot always experiences a very noticeable lag (communicated by the much slower clunk action and shutter sound) that is contrary to the shutter speed I currently selected. I use the maximum X-Sync Shutter Speed of 1/125s, and the very first shot after power on sounds more like 1/30s.

The second shot and all subsequent shots are all perfectly normal and corresponds to the selected shutter speed, until the camera is turned off, and then the first shot after power is turned on experiences the extreme lagging again.  

Is this normal or am I missing something? Grateful for other S owners to discuss and share! 

5 hours ago, prismstorm said:

Been using my S3 for a few days now, and having gone through 2-3 shoots, I experienced a strange phenomenon.

After each time the S3 is turned on, the first shot always experiences a very noticeable lag (communicated by the much slower clunk action and shutter sound) that is contrary to the shutter speed I currently selected. I use the maximum X-Sync Shutter Speed of 1/125s, and the very first shot after power on sounds more like 1/30s.

The second shot and all subsequent shots are all perfectly normal and corresponds to the selected shutter speed, until the camera is turned off, and then the first shot after power is turned on experiences the extreme lagging again.  

Is this normal or am I missing something? Grateful for other S owners to discuss and share! 

Unknown for me, having used two S3 bodies (one body for test, the other I use on a regular basis). It takes a little time (a few seconds) for the body to start up, with the lens doing a quick focus calibration, but I have yet to experience any anomalies for the first shot after the startup. 

Is your anomaly (only) related to flash shooting, or does it happen irrespective of shutter speeds? 

Edited by helged
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, helged said:

Unknown for me, having used two S3 bodies (one body for test, the other I use on a regular basis). It takes a little time (a few seconds) for the body to start up, wuth the lens doing a quick focus calibration, but I have yet to experience any anomalies for the first shot after the startup. 

Is your anomaly (only) related to flash shooting, or does it happen irrespective of shutter speeds? 

Thanks for the response, I'm not referring to the start up / booting / calibration time, I'm fine with it. I'm referring to the very first actual shutter actuation each time the camera is turned on from a powered off state.

My anomaly is only experienced with studio flash photography, it doesn't seem to manifest itself for available light photography. My shutter speed for flash photography is always 1/125s, the maximum FPS X-Sync Speed, I haven't used another shutter speed. Each time the S3 is booted up from a powered off state, the first shot that triggers flash fire has consistently lagged significantly, before resuming to a completely normal state for subsequent shots. 

26 minutes ago, prismstorm said:

Thanks for the response, I'm not referring to the start up / booting / calibration time, I'm fine with it. I'm referring to the very first actual shutter actuation each time the camera is turned on from a powered off state.

My anomaly is only experienced with studio flash photography, it doesn't seem to manifest itself for available light photography. My shutter speed for flash photography is always 1/125s, the maximum FPS X-Sync Speed, I haven't used another shutter speed. Each time the S3 is booted up from a powered off state, the first shot that triggers flash fire has consistently lagged significantly, before resuming to a completely normal state for subsequent shots. 

My use of flash photography is somewhat limited, but I have not encountered your problem using Leica SF-C1 controller and Nissin MG10 flashes with S3.

• Thanks 1

I have not encountered this either, but I have not been using flash a lot so far. It sounds to me like a bug. You should contact Leica customer service and let them know. There are so few users of the S3 that it is simply unlikely that they will have encountered it before. My expereience is that they are quite responsive to these kinds of issues. They fixed an odd bug for me on the S006 that was not too different. The camera would often not fire after turning on. It turned out that the GPS was given priority over the shutter release by mistake, and given the fact that I was in the near arctic it took longer to acquire satellites, so whenever I tried to turn the camera on while outside, it would lag. Since there was no signal at all inside, it would work fine there. They wrote a custom firmware for testing and it worked and they added it to the next firmware update. You could be treated to something similar with the S3....

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Stuart Richardson said:

I have not encountered this either, but I have not been using flash a lot so far. It sounds to me like a bug. You should contact Leica customer service and let them know. There are so few users of the S3 that it is simply unlikely that they will have encountered it before. My expereience is that they are quite responsive to these kinds of issues. They fixed an odd bug for me on the S006 that was not too different. The camera would often not fire after turning on. It turned out that the GPS was given priority over the shutter release by mistake, and given the fact that I was in the near arctic it took longer to acquire satellites, so whenever I tried to turn the camera on while outside, it would lag. Since there was no signal at all inside, it would work fine there. They wrote a custom firmware for testing and it worked and they added it to the next firmware update. You could be treated to something similar with the S3....

Thanks Stuart for sharing your experience and the tips given, how may I contact Leica customer service? Do you have an email address?

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 minutes ago, prismstorm said:

Thanks Stuart for sharing your experience and the tips given, how may I contact Leica customer service? Do you have an email address?

Customer.Care@leica-camera.com; in my experience they quickly respond (within 1-2 days). It helps be be as specific about the problem as possible. Alternatively, you could contact the local distributor.

• Thanks 1

Hey there Prismstorm,

I'm still on a S (typ006), and experienced this same thing all time doing work: first shot really laggy, seemingly wrong shutter speed and sometimes lens not stopping down right... second shot and thereafter all fine, no problems at all. Now that you mentioned it, it was always on shoots using lights, so it's the same thing that you experienced.

I just chalked it up as a one of those things type deal—there are a few on the S-system! But we love it anyway.

If you contact, and get anywhere with, Leica customer service please let us know how you got on.

Cheers

Tom

• Like 1

On 4/29/2021 at 3:43 PM, TomLiles said:

Hey there Prismstorm,

I'm still on a S (typ006), and experienced this same thing all time doing work: first shot really laggy, seemingly wrong shutter speed and sometimes lens not stopping down right... second shot and thereafter all fine, no problems at all. Now that you mentioned it, it was always on shoots using lights, so it's the same thing that you experienced.

I just chalked it up as a one of those things type deal—there are a few on the S-system! But we love it anyway.

If you contact, and get anywhere with, Leica customer service please let us know how you got on.

Cheers

Tom

Hey there Tom, how long have you put up with this problem? It seems to be a persistent problem across all 4 generations of S cameras, you're on the S006 and I'm on the S3 and both of us have the same problem. Do you take a blank first shot to get rid of any lagginess out of the way before formally starting a session?

On 5/3/2021 at 6:46 AM, LyttleMy said:

Hello,

Now I have just asked Leica Camera JAPAN via E-mail for this issue.

I hope this issue is resolved immediately with new firmware.

Hi LyttleMy, has Leica Camera Japan gotten back to you regarding the issue? If not, I will have to email Customer.Care@leica-camera.com sometime this week and raise the same questions.

Hi, prismstorm,

In Japan, this weeks is holiday, called "Golden Week".

So I don't get this answer now.

Leica Japan maybe works at today, (Thursday, 6th May)

I am waiting for it.

Anyway if I have some kind of answer,

I will report about it immediately here.

Thank you.

P.S.

I know Leica Japan ignore my question such as me who bought from Hong Kong, sometimes.

• Thanks 1

Hi, dear all,

At least on my S3 is succeed as no laggy.

I got answer from Leica Camera Japan.

But they said didn't know such as this issue because the number shipped of those products is low.

So, they recommend these actions as bellows;

1.Reset Camera setteings.

2.Release Battery & Reload Battery.

3.Update latest firmware.

(But my S3 is already latest firmware.)

After done for 1.&2.,

My S3 had no issue.

But once I reload my presets from SD cards,

this issue occur again.

I tried reset again,

I confirmed status is normal.

I think it seems to be this issue happens after making some presets,

I told my idea to Leica Camera Japan via E-mail.

Thank you Leica Camera JAPAN as quickly response.

I am so sorry about ignoring for me...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey again prismstorm,

Yea, I just fire it off and get going. Typically my first ten to twenty shots in a paid shoot are me checking/fine tuning lights and taking a Color checker classic frame (under the finished light) for later reference—so this glitch never affects the shoot proper or gets in the way of models posing, etc. It has little impact on my work or satisfaction working with the S-system.

The response LyttleMy got from Leica Japan was interesting and sounds like it works; for me this issue isn't a big enough deal to be resetting my camera settings/presets and all that—I'll prefer to keep my work cameras as is. Better the devil you know, I suppose 😌

But I hope LyttleMy's solution (via Leica Japan) works for you. Best of luck 👍

Cheers

Tom

• Like 1

10 hours ago, prismstorm said:

Have you asked Leica or your dealer, or do you just put up with it?

I just put up with it because the camera works fine afterwards and I have not missed any shots as a result. Until I read about it here, I did not even realise that this was an issue; I was thinking that perhaps I did something wrong.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/6/2021 at 5:24 PM, TomLiles said:

Hey again prismstorm,

Yea, I just fire it off and get going. Typically my first ten to twenty shots in a paid shoot are me checking/fine tuning lights and taking a Color checker classic frame (under the finished light) for later reference—so this glitch never affects the shoot proper or gets in the way of models posing, etc. It has little impact on my work or satisfaction working with the S-system.

The response LyttleMy got from Leica Japan was interesting and sounds like it works; for me this issue isn't a big enough deal to be resetting my camera settings/presets and all that—I'll prefer to keep my work cameras as is. Better the devil you know, I suppose 😌

But I hope LyttleMy's solution (via Leica Japan) works for you. Best of luck 👍

Cheers

Tom

So that means you just leave your S on after the first ten or twenty test shots, and your actual shoot is thus then never affected by this glitch? 

Since sometimes after the first test shots and the first few sets, there may be change of lighting or make-up, in which I usually turn the S3 off until the situation is ready for shooting again to conserve battery, I have to experience this glitch again and again, and I don't want to reset all my settings just to clear this bug once, only to have it come back some time later.

Yesterday I did a shoot with the S3, and the battery was not as great as everyone seem to be saying it is, and therefore I turned the camera off in between shooting, making me suffer through the super laggy first shot for multiple times.

Incidentally, I did a few shots using the Central Shutter, and it was habitually and constantly laggy, not as instantaneously as the FPS. 

Prismstorm,   My S3 did the same thing and battery would expire far too soon.  The S3 should not do what you described.  I sent my S3 to Wetzlar and was repaired expeditiously.  The board and battery were replaced.  It worked perfectly on return.  My suggestion; write up a detailed description of the issue(s), include the battery and let Leica Customer Service resolve the issue(s).  I have since gone into semi-retirement and my S system was sold on return to my former assistants.   I hope this helps.  r/ Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1