Toploading bag for S+120mm (say)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Belonging to the minority, I guess, but nevertheless: Any recommendations for a toploading-type of bag for the S with, say, S120mm? Ideally, the bag should be as small as possible (eg for hiking). Thanks! 

Posted (edited)

I love the Fogg e-flat, but it is maybe not as much a hiking bag as some (although it is waterproof). But as a shoulder bag that fits a big camera in a small footprint, it does a good job. I can get an S and two lenses in it without a stretch...maybe three with the 70mm on the camera. Of course, as a Fogg bag it is impeccably made, but in no way inexpensive and can be hard to find or not immediately available if Nigel and bee have not got one in stock...

Edited by Stuart Richardson
Posted (edited)

Always subject to personal preference, and best to sample in person if possible. One can start with the popular mentions such as the Billingham Hadley Pro (2020 update).  But for just body and single lens, I think the more compact Hadley Pro Small would suffice. Rugged, weatherproof and fairly light, and can be more discreet in all black.  

There are alternatives from Think Tank, Tenba, Domke, ONA (not my preference), and many others, i.e., the same bags often mentioned to carry an SL with larger lens/zoom, or even those used for a large M kit, once dividers removed.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Stuart Richardson said:

I love the Fogg e-flat, but it is maybe not as much a hiking bag as some (although it is waterproof). But as a shoulder bag that fits a big camera in a small footprint, it does a good job. I can get an S and two lenses in it without a stretch...maybe three with the 70mm on the camera. Of course, as a Fogg bag it is impeccably made, but in no way inexpensive and can be hard to find or not immediately available if Nigel and bee have not got one in stock...

35 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Always subject to personal preference, and best to sample in person if possible. One can start with the popular mentions such as the Billingham Hadley Pro (2020 update).  But for just body and single lens, I think the more compact Hadley Pro Small would suffice. Rugged, weatherproof and fairly light, and can be more discreet in all black.  

There are alternatives from Think Tank, Tenba, Domke, ONA (not my preference), and many others, i.e., the same bags often mentioned to carry an SL with larger lens/zoom, or even those used for a large M kit, once dividers removed.

Jeff

Thanks! Only body+lens in my case. For more gear, I typically use a dedicated backpack or an internal unit in a backpack. Think Tank Digital Holster 20 v2 may work. 

Edited by helged
Posted (edited)

There is a special solution for the S and one lens. 
liteBag2

2 hours ago, helged said:

Belonging to the minority, I guess, but nevertheless: Any recommendations for a toploading-type of bag for the S with, say, S120mm? Ideally, the bag should be as small as possible (eg for hiking). Thanks! 

There is a specialized solution for a Leica S and one lens. It’s the Koenig waterproof bag with a Leica S insert. I have been using it for about eight years and it is light and compact. It has a hip belt to secure it against the body. I usually have the bag on the top of my backpack with the zoom and my Zeiss portrait lens in the pouch. In my opinion, it is a better solution for hiking, and I have a big collection of Fogg bags to compare with. 

https://www.koenig-photobags.de/leica-suite/

yevgeny

Edited by ynp

Another option for hiking, given that S and lens are both weather sealed, is to go without a dedicated bag and clip the pair to a belt/strap.  There are options from various companies, including Peak Design.  For one body/lens, I prefer to just wear a shoulder strap cross-body or over shoulder.  I do this comfortably with an SL2 and zoom.  Not as discreet or practical, however, if one plans to stop in a public place. 

Jeff

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I will try to post a picture of the fogg when I get home tomorrow, just so you can have a look. I really like it for its flexibility. It is not too big for a single camera and lens (it will have some free space, but not tons), while at the same time it is is flexible and roomy enough to be able to jam in quite a lot if you have to. I found it is a great travel or city walking bag. I use it a lot in the field too, though there are better solutions for true longer hikes (basically this is backpack territory, in my mind...).

Posted (edited)

I have a 20 year old Fogg b-laika for my M system. The more recent version is larger and might just fit an S with S120, lengthwise.  Pricey, but my old version attests to quality and longevity.  In all black, without logo or bright hardware, it’s quite discreet.  (I think Fogg might no longer produce the same plain dark black.)

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

I, too, have been using an older model of Fogg b-minor for over 10 years. It's a bit bigger than Jeff's b-laika model but smaller that Stuart's e-flat. Please see the attached photos that hold an S007/S120 lens with plenty of room left. I also use it for city trips with rangefinder system. Fogg's bags are beautifully made with great functionalities. I also have the Think Tank Digital Holster 20 v2 but I hard use it compared to Fogg.

8 hours ago, ocean2059 said:

I also have the Think Tank Digital Holster 20 v2

When you put the S into this bag, is there some additional space around the body? I ask since I keep the Really Right Stuff L-bracket (https://leicastoremiami.com/products/used-really-right-stuff-l-plate-for-leica-s2-s-e-s006-s007-s3-2?variant=34340834934915) on the S all the time...

5 hours ago, helged said:

When you put the S into this bag, is there some additional space around the body? I ask since I keep the Really Right Stuff L-bracket (https://leicastoremiami.com/products/used-really-right-stuff-l-plate-for-leica-s2-s-e-s006-s007-s3-2?variant=34340834934915) on the S all the time...

I am sorry that I was mistaken in my earlier post, I don't have the Digital Holster 20 v2. I have a Digital Holster 50 v2, which fits the S007 with APO-Summarit-s 120 with hood mounted. It will fit the RRS L-bracket. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

To answer my own question ;): The f-stop Navin pouch (https://shop.fstopgear.com/other-products/welded-navin-pouch-camera-holster/) fits the S very well. The S-body with the RRS L-bracket - that I have permanently fixed to the S-body - with all of the S-lenses fits the pouch. When the pouch is extended, you just get in the body + S120 with (forward) mounted lens hood. Compressed, you get in all but the S180 with the lens hood reversed. The S180 with the lens hood reversed fits with the compression straps slightly loosened. 

I know that most prefer a bag, but for hiking I only use a top-load type of pouch with the strap over the shoulder diagonally, and with the pouch fixed to the backpack's hip belt. This keeps the bag from dumping into the body, it keeps the arms free (convenient when using poles!, or climbing), the hip belt removes parts of the weight from the neck, and the camera is fairly easily and quickly reachable. Additional lenses are in the backpack, or in pouches fixed to the backpack.