Quality Question

Herbertus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear Leica Forum Comunity,
i got my Leica Sl over 1 Year ago, and it might sound crazy, but i only used 3 EF-lenses Adapted to it. After some thinking, I decided to get some new glas, namly L mount glas. As much as i would love to get Leica lenses, i simply can not afford it. So i looked arround what i could use. I now come to a point were i have to make a decision. Is it more worth it to get Sigma glas, or more to get older R-lenses and adapt it to the SL.
It would be great if someone could tell their experience using either of them on the SL
Thanks for your replies
Herbert

Look in the relevant forums on this site - there are many excellent options. Just a matter of preference (and budget ;) ) M-mount lenses (including Voigtländer and Zeiss), R lenses, Sigma, Panasonic, all will be an excellent choice. - despite Canon glass not being bad at all, sometimes first rate, but there are different renderings.

If you want specific recommendations, you'll need to tell us what your needs and preferences are, and you will get plenty of advice - but remember: two photographers-three opinions :lol: .

• Like 2

I mainly search some Normal Focal ranges, like 35, 50 or even something like 100mm. The Thing with M-lenses is (as far as i noticed) is that they are a bit more expensiv, than the other two, and i don't really know if they are performing better than the other one. If it helps, i plan to use them on some shoots in the open, where i have just the sunlight (on midday to evening) and a Person. Also a reason is, that i got a request for a shoot, indors, where i should portrait a glas-blower. The Canan lenses, while making there job, i was a bit unsatisfied with the results.

As of the price, i was looking to stay under or at 1000€ (1200$) Which would be one or two nice sigma lenses, or a few nice R lenses.

Edited by Herbertus

R lenses are not that cheap and cannot be serviced by Leica any more, which, given their age, may be a consideration. If I were you I would stick with the Panasonic and Sigma offerings. After all, their lenses are fully integrated in the L-mount alliance which will give you full AF performance and lens profiles. Both brands produce high quality lenses at a reasonable price.

• Like 3

vor 2 Minuten schrieb jankap:

Leica glass is made with narrow tolerances, that shows the price. You can expect a low variance. But Canon and Leica glass are both made of glass.;)

Yea glass is glass, but i mean there is a diffrents for example between for example an Canon 50mm 1.8 and the leice equivelent in both sharpness and Color.
And what i was intersted is if it was "more worth it" to get a sigma lens, or a Leica R lens

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 5 Minuten schrieb jaapv:

R lenses are not that cheap any more and cannot be serviced by Leica any more, which, given their age, may be a consideration. If I were you I would stick with the Panasonic and Sigma offerings. After all, their lenses are fully integrated in the L-mount alliance which will give you full AF performance and lens profiles. Both brands produce high quality lenses at a reasonable price.

i mean if i bought an R lens, i would have bought it from a Leica Used store, where, at least what i kinda expect since its leica and quality, they check it before it goes to sale...
also 350€ for a good 35mm is better than what a Sigma 35mm would cost me

Edited by Herbertus

vor 1 Minute schrieb jaapv:

Yes, but they cannot service or repair it should the need arise.

So to be completly transparent, how likely do you think i would come in the situation in needing a service. I mean i used an older, and cheaper Canon lens, and it still holds up till today, and i wouldn't say, that i use my gear with white gloves

Don'gt forget that there are decades of development between R lenses and present-day offerings. They are wonderful, but present-day Leica lenses will outperform them hands-down, especially the SL zooms - and Sigma and Panasonic are not far behind.

1 minute ago, Herbertus said:

So to be completly transparent, how likely do you think i would come in the situation in needing a service.

You only need to drop them on a concrete floor once...

• Haha 1

I think i will look though sigmas (and Panasonics) offerings a bit more, and come back if i have another question. Thanks for your help, it was quit helpful to be honest.
One quick question at the end, do you have like a recomendation for like a Sigma or Panasonic lens, like I already have looked on some Art lenses, but if there is one that is  more intersting that another one?

17 hours ago, jaapv said:

You only need to drop them on a concrete floor once...

I just about fell of my chair reading this Jaap, that would apply to any lens that is made.

Going back to Leica R lenses, over the many R lenses that I have owned the only one that give me trouble was the 180mm 2.8.

I got it fixed and never had any more problems with it, simply a wonderful lens.

Frankly I had more trouble with M lenses then R lenses.

Now to HERBERTUS.

I will give you some free advice... there are better Camera brands out there, don't be fooled buy all the Leica hype.

Edited by hamey

17 hours ago, Herbertus said:

I think i will look though sigmas (and Panasonics) offerings a bit more, and come back if i have another question. Thanks for your help, it was quit helpful to be honest.
One quick question at the end, do you have like a recomendation for like a Sigma or Panasonic lens, like I already have looked on some Art lenses, but if there is one that is  more intersting that another one?

Makers like Sigma and Panasonic make good lenses. If they didn't and they made poor lenses, they would very quickly be out of business today. I'm surprised that your Canon lenses are not good enough though. Which are they and is the adaption ok?

The main difference between R and L-Mount lenses, other than autofocus of course, is their "look." It's an individual preference. R lenses are very desirable these days, because people convert them to cinema mounts and use them in films and videos (including some big-budget features).

I personally keep a set of vintage lenses and a set of modern lenses.

4 hours ago, hamey said:

I will give you some free advice... there are better Camera brands out there, don't be fooled buy all the Leica hype.

There isn't anything much better than the SL for vintage glass. The EVF is great for manual focus, and the SL has proven to be very reliable. I'm not sure about "hype," but SL's are not outrageously expensive on the secondary market, so it must be a very moderate hype. Would I be less of a fool if I used a different system?

vor 8 Stunden schrieb hamey:

you know that i don't just started using leica's? I know that whole thing of people saying, " ah people are just using leicas because of the hype and such on".
I used a leica beacuse i like the way it effects my workflow. With a canon for example, its just a tool to make photos, the leica is too, but for me personally its more enjoyable. And the reason why i asked in the first place, was not about beeing hyped for leica glas, it was simply because i can not afford to spen 4000$ on a lens, which won't even be my primary lens. IT just wouldn't brake even

vor 8 Stunden schrieb pgk:

Makers like Sigma and Panasonic make good lenses. If they didn't and they made poor lenses, they would very quickly be out of business today. I'm surprised that your Canon lenses are not good enough though. Which are they and is the adaption ok?

Also i use the Sigma MC-21, because it was the only adapter, that was availbe for me at the time. The thing about my Canon lenses is, that i always tried to keep it as simple as poosible, so like i don't have 50 lenses, and 2 of each type for example. I got a Standart Zoom, a nice prime, and a Tele. It was just that i got weard effects, which if i swaped lens, disappeard (manly with my compact 50mm f1.8) Btw i use it bc i think it feels the best in combination with the SL, the other ones are meh....

11 hours ago, hamey said:

I just about fell of my chair reading this Jaap, that would apply to any lens that is made.

You seem to have missed the point: most of them could be repaired, but an R lens not as there are no spare parts available at all.

Herbertus, I have the SL and 24-90 and for me it's a sensational combo for most of my needs.  If you could ever try it, you should.  Otherwise, I understand your situation as I have added a 35 1.2 Art and an adapted 105 1.4 Art (before the L mount version was available) for brighter glass.  I like both Sigma's as they are very specialized and produce interesting looks.  My 35 is a mirrorless only "DG DN" lens and the 105 is a DSLR design in Nikon F mount.  Now that I added an S1H for cinema capability, the Sigma's will not respond to Panasonic's lens controls including linear focus (vs inertial fly by wire) and degrees of throw (I prefer 90 degrees for pulling focus for video).  So Panasonic lenses will get you full functionality and interestingly, the SL24-90 responds to the S1H lens control options.  I will consider Panasonic S glass going forward.  Good luck.