• Replies 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Rowing" CL & TL 55-135 Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!

This tiny little church originally twelfth century had fallen into ruin but was rebuilt on slightly higher ground in 1858.. St. Mary's, Broughton, Parish of Myddle Shropshire..  CL + 21mm M Mount, one from the light side, one from the dark, couple more on Flickr if you're interested.   Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!   Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden! Last night in the backyard 60mm, 200 ISO 1/6 @f10  

Posted Images

15 hours ago, rob_w said:

Poodle and Lady:

Looking at this pic again today, I am not very happy with the B&W conversion.  If anyone wants to post suggested improvements, I am happy to take instruction!

41 minutes ago, rob_w said:

Looking at this pic again today, I am not very happy with the B&W conversion.  If anyone wants to post suggested improvements, I am happy to take instruction!

In Levels remove blank space in the highlights, set black point, set white point, in curves lift the midtones and then linear contrast. Run sharpening over lady and dog to camouflage slight backfocus ;)

If you don't like me reposting your image, please PM, I'll remove it :)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, rob_w said:

Rob, copied into LR. Auto Adjust; reset whites and blacks to avoid clipping; slight global sharpening adjusting edge masking and sharpen radius. Avoiding any further fiddling. The main gain was a slightly lighter appearance and subtle sharpening.  Not sure whether these subtle changes show after uploading. Given the full file, I would have selected the lady's face and decreased the facial shadow a little.

Thanks to you both Jaap and David.  All good suggestions I will try on the original file later, and let you know how I get on.

Re the slight back focusing, I agree there is a problem because the image of the lady is not as sharp as it should be.  This is despite AF selecting her face.  If I had time, I could have checked focus manually.  But to catch both dog and lady in right positions in the pose, with both moving around and keen to continue their walk, was already a challenge.  I had to rely on AF doing its job - which it appears did not quite happen. 

BTW in the colour version there is chromatic aberration on, for example, her arm, which has a reddish halo running along its length.  LR was unable to correct this.  It has made me doubt the TL23 for the first time in 2 years of use.

I realise this is a picture thread not a discussion thread, so I'll leave it there.  Thanks both for your suggestions.

Robert

Edited by rob_w

Robert, I am not so sure there is back-focus. At that distance with a typical mid-range lens aperture, you would have considerable depth of field.  Could camera shake be a possible cause of unexpected lack of bite?

Here is the updated version, with white/black points and sharpening adjusted.  It is possible the lack of sharpness is due to the subject moving her head at the critical moment, although the shutter speed was 1/2000 which is pretty fast!