CL - the image thread

1 hour ago, muah said:

Cigar......  TL 11-23 @ f4.5

When I first visited that building in 2004 (and took a few shots with a contax T2), I wandered around without a care in the world. Then I got accosted by security that told me I couldn't be on the property. I wonder, has it changed? Can you get close? I mean, Norman Foster? It's actually quite nicely designed when you get close. 

7 hours ago, HeinzX said:

Very nice, this one and that one under the pier too.

Thanks Heinz. Sadly the pier was a modern one with concrete pillars. It would have been nicer if it had been an old wooden pier. But the light was good so that made the shot for me. 

13 hours ago, Jake said:

When I first visited that building in 2004 (and took a few shots with a contax T2), I wandered around without a care in the world. Then I got accosted by security that told me I couldn't be on the property. I wonder, has it changed? Can you get close? I mean, Norman Foster? It's actually quite nicely designed when you get close. 

I took the photo from a distance, but i did walked by the building.  The security guard was looking at me, but i do not feel that if i walk around the building that it is prohibited.  

What caught my eye was in the evening the building light up with different lights.  =)

My Last Hurrah!

As an ex-sports photographer and photojournalist back in the age of film (is anybody ever an 'ex'?) I want to share these candid shots taken with the Leica CL and 18mm lens at Kelby One studios, Oldsmar, Florida. This was my first public outing with this combo. I volunteered to be part of an audience at Kelby One when Scott Kelby videotaped an interview with Dave Black, famous Nat Geo and Sports Illustrated sports photographer. I tried to be as unobtrusive as possible not really knowing how [we] were going to fare. Ego you know, and everybody around was a serious photographer. Well the combo performed splendidly, me included. All photos ISO 800, f/2.8, shutter 1/20s (audience), 1/160s (pre interview sound check), 1/50s (post interview Q and A) respectively.

Edited by iShutterbug

All photos hand held available light (Leica style). I had the Summilux and Summicron but I knew it would be close quarters so I went with the 18mm lens. I'm back in the spectator bleachers so these images are cropped somewhat. The kit 18mm lens is sharp and imho underrated and underused. David Black on the left, Scott Kelby on the right.

Edited by iShutterbug

Dave and I had an interesting discussion about adjusting from the relatively instant rangefinder focal plane shutter (and 4x5 between the lens shutter) to the inherent shutter lag in DSLRs. It threw off our sports timing of peak action--the decisive event!--and we had to adjust.

Edited by iShutterbug

7 hours ago, iShutterbug said:

adjusting from the relatively instant rangefinder focal plane shutter (and 4x5 between the lens shutter) to the inherent shutter lag in DSLRs.

I feel I'm learning a similar adjustment, going from the always-on OVF of the M camera to the EVF of the CL.  Don't know what it is for sure, but I keep catching people just after the decisive moment. 

To make matters worse, I don't know this has happened till I chimp the shot because everyting goes black just when you need to see.  Then it's often too late to get a second picture.  With the M I could see through the OVF whether someone blinked, and near-instantaneously fire again.

Edited by rob_w

Hello friends. I’m the guy with one camera , the CL, and two lenses.... the 18-56 and the TL 35. I’ve been up North at our lake cabin in NorthCentral Minnesota for ten days. I am of the opinion that out of thirty shots saved there are three good ones. I’ll drive home to MPLS/ St. Paul tomorrow and post. Your photographs have kept me inspired. Thank you. 

13 hours ago, albert said:

Hello friends. I’m the guy with one camera , the CL, and two lenses.... the 18-56 and the TL 35. I’ve been up North at our lake cabin in NorthCentral Minnesota for ten days. I am of the opinion that out of thirty shots saved there are three good ones. I’ll drive home to MPLS/ St. Paul tomorrow and post. Your photographs have kept me inspired. Thank you. 

I'm wondering if you think that a good thing or not. In moving to the CL, I've been worried about too much "casual shooting", and still have interest in just a few better shots than too many. So from this perspective, three good ones feels very good. 

• jaapv changed the title to CL - the image thread
  • jaapv pinned this topic
  • jaapv pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic